Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 01:44AM

As a child, my wife and her friends would tell scary stories. A typical story would be about the maniac in the basement who chops off someones arms and legs and they try to climb up the steps to warn the others using only their chin.

To make the stories scarier they, in their naive way, would introduce tubs of blood in the basement. To make it even SCARIER they would add extra tubs of blood. After all, to a 7-year old five tubs of blood are scarier than just two, right?

When reading the Book of Mormon I'm struck with this idea of kids trying to out-do each other by adding "tubs of blood" to make a story scarier. The Book of Mormon basically tries to out-do the Bible. Where the Bible has Jesus letting ONE apostle tarry until his return the Book of Mormon Jesus lets THREE apostles tarry until his return. Where the Bible has vague prophecies about the coming of the Messiah, the Book of Mormon prophesys not only his name, "Jesus Christ," but also the name of his mother, "Mary" (the interesting thing about this "prophecy" is that it would be of absolutely no use whatsoever to the people of the Americas). Where Noah builds an ark, the Jaradites build a fleet of submarines.

What are some other places where the Book of Mormon basically parallels a Bible story or idea but does it more--adds extra "tubs of blood?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dee Lightsum ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 01:48AM

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 02:15AM

The people of the Book of Mormon embraced Jesus Christ instead of crucifying Him.

In the Book of Mormon a guy does a headless pushup.

They speak French in the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 02:41AM

In the Bible the Apostles handle Christ's wounds.

In the Book of Mormon the entire multitude lined up and did " thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet."

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 05:50AM

In the Bible there are three hours of darkness after the cricifixion, but three days of solid blackness.

The same with the Birth of Jesus.

I guess the Western Hemishpere is on a much smaller planet.

Posted by: smith ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 09:28AM

The story that comes to my mind is the story of Alma persecuting the church, then sees an angel and converts the laminates. This is exactly the same as Paul in the bible. He persecuted the church, had a vision and went on to convert thousands.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 12:42PM

Joseph Smith, Jr., Story Topper.

(I was going to mention the Alma business, but smith beat me to it).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.