Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Floating Nevermo ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 03:43PM

It hasn't happened to me (yet), but I've been thinking lately that if any of my friends start to take missionary discussions, should I try to convince them out of continuing? What should I do to warn them of what they'd be getting into?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 03:50PM

I don't know a single person that wouldn't see through the Mormon Fraud before the first borne-testes.

Here's where i agree completely with the Cult...
EVERYONE should read the Book of Mormon. There is no better way of unmasking the fraud than letting people read it for themselves. Remember, Mormonism is largely an inherited disease.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 04:05PM

I tried to do this and it did not work. They converted anyway (married couple, friends of mine).

I sat in on discussions with my nephew and was successful in making the mishies see that he was not a good fit for them; he's schizophrenic. At that time, he was able to hide that pretty well--but he certainly was and did act "off" even then.

I am not trying to push too hard on this now, with my friends.

Mormonthink and other sites mentioned often here, lay it out for them. It's getting them to agree to look at the stuff in the first place, that will be your biggest problem.

http://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm
http://www.mormonthink.com/

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 04:08PM

Start asking them questions you know the answers to. Remind them that "pray about it" isn't validation. Have them double check against information on the internet. But it's hard because so much of Mormonism is based on feelings and if the feelings get involved, facts can't always trump that.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 04:32PM

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 06:06PM

I would DEFINITELY present to them the other side. Would you tell your friend who's buying the same lemon of car the problems you had with yours? Of course you would. If they STILL wanted to buy the car after you told them what you know, then they can go ahead and do what they want but at least they were warned.

Investigators, and Mormons themselves, have a RIGHT to know the truth. What they do with the truth is up to them, but I would at least help them make an an INFORMED decision before joining.

Since investigators are generally not brainwashed yet, I would suggest to them that they read the following websites in the following order:

http://home.teleport.com/~packham/tract.htm
www.mormonthink.com
www.utlm.org

I would also recommend them reading Mormonism: Shadow or Reality or the Changing World of Mormonism.

If they STILL wanted to join after reading those sources then at least they know the craziness and there's not much else you could do at that point but say, "have fun."

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 06:14PM

I would be so sad.

If I couldn't convince them to stop I don't what I'd do.

I have a few anti-mormon books, I'd ask to sit in on the discussions, I would relay my experience.

I went so far the other way when I left that I cannot imagine any of my single friends wanting anything to do with the cult. I can only imagine families have any draw to it. My friends love their spouses and children so much that I can see the church being very attractive. I would(only in that situation) suggest another church. I would convince them that values can very easily be taught to children without any direction.

I think about this a lot for some reason. I would be absolutely devastated if a friend joined the church.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:07PM

Find out what is missing in their life that makes them interested in a controlling religion. Are they lonely? Do they feel a need to be part of something big and important? Do they need validation from others to gain a feeling of esteem? Are they missing a loved one who has died and feel a need to try to reconnect with them. Have they suffered a loss? Divorce? Job? Close friend?

Most "investigators" are trying to mend something in their lives and joining the mormon church is a temorary fix that can cause huge problems in the future.

Some people meet with missionaries and attend mormon services because they are afraid of saying no. They just keep having the missionaries in and doing whatever they say because they think they have to please them. No one owes these mishies a thing except the parents the wards back home who pressured them into this awkward situation and the MP and local wardmembers who continue to pressure them for the sake of numbers.

Investigators are human beings, not numbers. It's *they* who need support and encouragement to stand on their own and face their own issues without falling for a cult to provide a crutch through false promises.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:59PM

A close friend of mine, independently started taking the discussions. So did her entire family! I was a disbelieving NOM, & was ready to get out of there. (As most of you know I didn't leave until shortly before I turned 25, 12 years ago.) I didn't know what to do. I wanted to tell them to run, but I was very afraid of being found out as a disbeliever. I lost touch with them shortly after they were baptized. Luckily, they all got out several years later, none of them are even Christian anymore either (they had converted to evangelical Christianity before they were cult members), & have reverted back to the religion of their culture, forefathers, & family. I really wish I had told my friend the truth back in 1994. It would have saved her & her family a lot of grief.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.