Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 08:07AM

I mean not pap like that you will get married etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 08:46AM

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:08AM

complete lack of inspiration on their part.

OTOH, I had my astrological chart done and visited a couple of psychics and one of them and the chart were strikingly on the mark, so go figure.

The only conclusion I can draw from that is that Mormon god is on a really long holiday and the pagans' 10,000 years of practice has given them more to go on.

:-)

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:33AM

voltaire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OTOH, I had my astrological chart done and visited
> a couple of psychics and one of them and the chart
> were strikingly on the mark, so go figure.

astrological charts use barnum statements.
psychics use cold (or warm) reading techniques

both groups of people rely on these cons to get your money, and keep you coming back for more.

not so much so with the patriarchal blessing - they can make up any old rubbish and know it will not be questioned, as long as the receiver is a TBM

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:15AM

I was promised that if I kept my home clean & tidy (blooming cheek) the priesthood would always remain there.

Well we're out now, so my house must have been dirty & untidy!!!

I know which I prefer.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 11:12PM

You can tell what that fellow was unhappy with his wife about . . .

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:17AM

"...things that you would see or hear. Try to avoid them for they are poison."

Well that definitely came true. But that's a common Mormon theme, self-censorship. Don't look and don't listen to "anti".

Posted by: elsa ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:48AM

I was promised that when I speak, my brothers and sisters will listen to me and that I would proclaim the words of the Lord (although I´m a woman). And yes, I have helped people out and am still doing so.

Posted by: John ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 10:16AM

Actually, yes. There are specific things that have come true for me. I would attribute those things to a higher power. LDS or not, I feel like at times, people can get revelation to help others.

On the other hand, my PB also says "believing in the church will be easy for you"

So shit, I guess its just a wash... :-)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 10:22AM

BFD.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 12:48PM

A friend came over a few days ago and let us know that her son got his mission call.

During the conversation she said that his patriarchal blessing said he would go to a distant land when few people had heard of the gospel.

They live in Highland, Utah.

The distant land where few people has heard of the gospel is Riverside, CA.

She was wondering how that could be considered distant.

Posted by: dawn ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 12:52PM

Especially since they have a temple.

Date: December 30, 2010 11:14PM

You'd think they'd check the blessing before choosing his mission placement, but I guess that would be complicated--wait, they probably aren't computerized, are they?

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 12:50PM

As a young 11 year old receiving my blessing, I was told that I would never stand in need of the necessities of life, and that I would even enjoy many of lifes luxuries.

Date: December 30, 2010 11:14PM

What did you think at the time?

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:12AM

I believe it has to do with that blessing. You've heard of the "self-fullfilling prophecy" phenomena. I believed it would come true, and I made it come true by focusing more on acedemics. Bizarre. I guess I am thankful for that in the cult, but nothing else.

Posted by: James ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 07:22PM

Far from it. Getting my Patriarchal Blessing was the beginning of my knowing the LDS church was complete crap.

The blessing spoke of my "gentle father". This was the same father who regularly beat me doing what he himself had told me to do.

I had to wonder how the "Patriarch" who was supposedly speaking directly for his god could be so totally wrong.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 10:08PM

I would doubt and fall away if I didn't keep practicing the faith.
They knew I was having doubts but they were trying to convince me to keep doing all of the stuff and go to BYU so I would be so busy I wouldnt think about it.
I did doubt and fell away :)
of course they claimed I could and would return. That will not happen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2010 10:09PM by darkprincess.

Posted by: Gideon-mytemplename ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 10:49PM

That I was 'chosen' in the pre-existence to become
an inspiration to others.
I would be bringing many souls to the kingdom of god.

That was a morale booster for me then.
At that 'blessing' time I was a mission leader.

I was all out to proselyt.
I dung several new converts into the baptism pool.

But I now know patriarchal blessings were just
a bunch of vain, hypocritical words used by the patriarch
to 'push' my then cult induced missionary zeal.

Because I am now
doing the exact opposite of condemning
souls to the mormon cult.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 11:11PM

Ever since, I have turned down callings that lead up that ladder...including high councilor. I wouldn't wish being a bishop on my worst enemy.

Posted by: Lovelylezzie ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 11:17PM

I got mine the same day as two of my TBM friends and even though we were told not to share them, of course we did. They all had the same verbiage, the same blessings. The only difference was mine said I would achieve leadership positions in the church. At the time I was the Mia Maid president and I'm guessing he knew that. I did end up in the Relief Society presidency many years later but within 2 years of receiving that calling, I was done.

Mine also said I would be chosen by a "choice man" and married in the temple. I am gay. Very gay. I didn't let that stop me from trying to make the marriage thing happen. I was even engaged a couple of times, I just couldn't go through with it. I'm pretty sure the sealed in the temple thing is included in everyone's BP.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:10AM

used to excuse those specifics, did not apply to a few things for which I could look for evidence. Of course there was none, and other than that I think it was probably general. I have not read it for several years. This was another one of my clues of fraud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 01:11AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:19AM

My cousin's blessing said she would be married and raise a family. She had cystic fibrosis. Obviously it didn't happen.
They explained it away with the "it will happen in the millenium" thing.

Posted by: NotAMolly ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:14AM

Funny that this topic would come up...I actually just ripped up and threw away my PB a couple of days ago while doing some year-end cleaning and purging. As I sat there reading it one last time it actually really pissed me off (hence the ripping it apart).

I remember vividly the day I got that "blessing" and I remember feeling how awesome and "divine" it was that god could speak directly to me through this dude I had never met before. I used to read that thing over and over, just waiting for those blessings to come to me, but they never did.

Now, reading it almost 10 years later, I realized that the majority of it came from the short chat I had with the patriarch and his wife before he gave me the blessing. We had talked about my job and how I didn't like it (I was a fresh college grad working as a receptionist at the time) and lo and behold my PB went on for almost 2 paragraphs about how I would find a career that would bring me joy. Also I had mentioned something about how my mom is less-active in the church and whad'ya know...another couple of paragraphs telling me that I'm gonna be responsible for bringing my mother "back into the fold" because of my sweet spirit. Everything else in there was your typical cookie cutter PB. Those 2 topics were the ONLY thing in there that catered to me specifically. What a crock of bull! I can't believe I didn't see through it back then!

Posted by: temple name Julia ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:07AM

Two things but maybe not the way 'they' meant....

1)I would know when my children needed me even if
they weren't with me. As a abuse survivor I thought
this was pretty cool.But MY kids are furry!And yes,I
have rescued them before!And my childrens' friends would
come to my home-all the strays know where to go!

2)I would be a queen and priestess!yep,a pagan priestess,
I am!

myahahaahahaaha!

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 05:34AM

Mine said that I'd have the ability to view both sides and be able to help my family. Like every other vague statement, it can be taken to mean different things. I of course know its all bull-pucky, but it kinda makes you wonder what that dude was thinking when he said that.

Oh, and even better, I was completely unworthy(doing the ooo-la-la) when I got my blessing. Some inspired fella, huh?

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 05:46AM

I was told that I would have many, many friends. I now have over 500 Facebook friends. The man was obviously inspired.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 06:31AM

and I did--not one remained Mormon.

Of course the patriarch knew I was a convert, the first of my family.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:43AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.