Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:01AM

One of my TBM sisters is having a crises today. She was up all night because one of her smoke detectors is dying, and she doesn't have any batteries. It is Sunday, so she can't bring herself to go buy any more. It is also wired into the wall, so simply taking the dying battery out doesn't work. Sounds like she is in for another long night.

Actually feel sorry for her. If I lived near her, I would probably go get her a battery As it is, I am hoping she breaks down and goes to the 7-11 on the way home from church to get one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:03AM

What?? Even the church teaches that when your ox is in the mire....

Plus, where's her loving ward?

Date: October 21, 2012 10:10AM

I never understood that parable. What kind of a-hole has his wedding party in the middle of the night?

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:14AM

I guess the Bachelor Party had yet to be invented.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:09AM

Then in the morning, write your resignation letter to that idiotic church and go buy some batteries.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 03:08AM

LOL!!! Seriously damn!

Date: October 21, 2012 10:12AM

"Funny how when they post about their actual lives being effected by their faith, it never seems to line up with those cute memes they like to put up."

I meant to add that as the last line in my post.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:30AM

Tell her to try unscrewing the smoke detector and let it dangle by the wires until she can replace the battery. I seem to remember that it works for mine. That chirping can drive you crazy.

Date: October 21, 2012 10:37AM

Nah, I am just playing stupid like I don't realize today is Sunday, and I have no idea why she feels she can't go and buy one.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:38AM

I was in the singles ward--one of the guys who bore his testimony every TM--came by to borrow toilet paper as he didn't want to go buy some on the sabbath. My roommate and I didn't say anything. We just got him some toilet paper and he left. Then we both broke out in laughter.

Date: October 21, 2012 10:41AM

When I was on my mission, me and my companion once stole a bunch of toilet paper out of the church restroom, because it was Sunday, and we were out. We told ourselves we would only take enough for the day, then return a complete roll the following Sunday. The ward Mission leader caught us, and that night, delivered a 12 pack of toilet paper to our apartment that he had obviously broken the Sabbath to get. He was my favorite ward mission leader my entire mission, and looking back there was a lot of strong evidence that he was a closet apostate. I think the only reason he was still in the church at the time was because he was trying to protect the missionaries from the cult as best he could.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:45AM

You read something like that on fb and you think--"why is she posting it there?"

I only joined fb to talk to a group of ex-wives of gays and I so love the mormon links I get from my VERY FEW friends. I didn't want any friends. But there is something daily about crazy things like you posted--looking for trials and blessings in any way they can.

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 03:45PM

That is hilarious. I remember watching the 2nd councilor sneak into the corner store to buy bread for sacrament right before church then sneak back out. He kept looking around cause he didn't want to get caught.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:50AM

That is not spiritual or even just religious -- it is just STUPID!

Have they tried a priesthood blessing???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 10:50AM by Laban's Head.

Date: October 21, 2012 10:53AM

I don't know. I want to ask her, but our relationship is such, that I can't safely joke about the church around her.

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 11:55PM

By the power of the Melchizedek Priesthood her HTs should be able to make that annoying chirping sound go away for the rest of the holy Sabbath day. Too bad ForbiddenCokeDrinker is an apostate and can't bless that chirping sound to keep the sabbath day unchirpy ;)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:59AM

Why doesn't she just remove the detector from its mounting until she can buy a battey ?

Date: October 21, 2012 11:02AM

Because she has the engineering understanding of an airhead.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 02:56PM

I know that sound must be bugging her but it is also rewarding for her on some level to brag about how Mormon she is, that she would endure torment and persecution from a smoke detector in order to prove her faithfulness.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for her. Most Mormons would run to the store.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 07:02PM

Actually, I have the wired kind with a back-up battery. If I take out the battery when it's dying, the beeping stops, but the smoke detector will still work because it's wired. Did she try taking the battery out?

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 11:36PM

One can also unplug the wired kind. At the end of the wire is a tiny plug, gently pull on it. Take the battery out. N more beeping.

Posted by: down south ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 10:17PM

Could she just not take the battery out of her vibrator or was it in use keeping her "up" all night?

Date: October 21, 2012 10:37PM

She told me it was a back massager.

Posted by: theansweris42 ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 03:34AM

hahaha!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 03:17AM

This is an easy one.
Option #1
Call the home teacher, and have him go to the store, AND then install the new battery he just bought. He'll be forgiven because he has the priesthood.

Option#2
Get a hotel room. She needs to have room service deliver dinner so she can say she didn't go to a restaurant on the sabbath. Call the HT in the morning to come install the battery she bought that morning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.