Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 06:16AM

Browsing over on the babycenter board, there's a discussion on whether visiting teachers have a right to know why somebody's husband is on the registry and if it's okay to visit elsewhere if the husband is home. Personally I think that they do have a right to know since they're expected to go over to the offender's home. I would be wary going over if I didn't know why he was on the registry. I wouldn't care if he got it on with his girlfriend but I would care if he was a violent rapist. It seems the majority think it's none of her business. Am I overly conservative? Would you want to know why before you undertook regular visits?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 08:19AM

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 11:02AM

Everyone is on constructive notice of registered sex offenders in their neighborhood (in states that have such registries). Why should a church or any other entity have a duty to provide notice of already public knowledge?

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 12:04PM

I was a visiting teacher to a woman who had severe schizophrenia. The R.S. knew, but didn't tell us. My partner and I had to figure it out on our own. Fortunately, she wasn't dangerous.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 12:49PM

Some people on those registries are people who as an 18 year old had sex w/ their 17 yr old girlfriend (edited to add: or boyfriend) and were prosecuted for it. Theres a difference between teenage sex and pedophilia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 12:53PM by badseed.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 01:10PM

They will tell you what LEVEL sex offender, and what their offense was.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 02:30PM

http://www.nsopw.gov/Core/Conditions.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

It's public information and there are a variety of ways to search.

Don't assume that everyone who is a sex offender by definition is listed, or that people who are not listed are not dangerous.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 05:35PM

Agreed. I'm not afraid of the registered offenders...I know who they are an can avoid them.

What I'm afraid of are the ones that have not yet been caught or offended. I wouldn't feel any safer at someone's house because they appear to have a clean record.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 05:32PM

When I've checked the registries, they haven't always said what the person did. At least here in Utah. Some went into a lot of detail, others didn't. It may be public knowledge but shouldn't the person expected to go there be made aware of the problem? Again I don't care if it was a teenager or anything non-violent. I just think it's wrong for them to be expected to go and not know what kind of a crime was committed, so that they can be on their guard or be relieved it is nothing for them to worry about. If they don't want to explain what is up then they shouldn't ask the women to go visiting at the house essentially in the dark. The person who posted didn't know exactly what the man had done.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 10:46AM

It's almost heartbreaking to realize that some sex offenders got labeled because they had a prostate or bladder infection and were caught urinating against a tree on a long hike through public woods, or something similar. That happened near here and I won't forget reading about how the dude has to report this "sex offense" thing all the time and all he did was take a desperate pee somewhere.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.