Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 04:32PM

I know this video has gone viral many times, but it makes me tear up every time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

They just look like they're so happy and have so many supportive friends. We should all be so lucky.

What else are you sure to never see at a Mormon wedding?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 04:45PM

Only the Mormon Church could take all the joy out of a wedding!

(Let alone the wedding night)

Date: October 22, 2012 05:49PM

And you can't even enjoy a champagne toast to celebrate the day!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 05:53PM

If you're mormon fun is NOT allowed. It's a tool of satan. Having fun at a wedding would be considered sacrilegious, being in the temple and all. No fun allowed.

If you ever have any fun, don't tell anyone at church. They will gossip like crazy about you. Fun, pffft. That's for Catholics and people like that.

Posted by: Jude ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 06:11PM

There are whole days that go buy when memories of Mormon weddings don't ruin my day.

I blame TSSC they should not have let me view them before I got married. After I had viewed one there was no way I was ever having one.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 06:31PM

Thanks so much for posting that. It's so bittersweet to see how joyous a celebration the start of a marriage can be. I'm so grieved that so many young Mormon couples start at such a joy-deficit.

Thank God the blood oaths are gone. At least they don't have to pile that gruesome element on top of their day any more.

Date: October 23, 2012 08:48AM

The funny thing is, I knew a fun loving LDS couple when I was in the Peace Corps and I could see them doing something like this... And there are lots of videos on YouTube depicting Mormons having a good time by writing their own versions of popular songs and dancing to them. I have never been to a Mormon church service, but my husband tells me they're painfully dull. I can't imagine why people "love" the church so much if something like a wedding can't be fun and joyful. I'm not particularly religious, but the God I "know" would not be offended by people celebrating their marriage by dancing down the aisle and showing joy and love to one another.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 07:31PM

My wife does the music for primary and is about burned out. She has time all year to only learn the songs that are used in the mandated primary program. Ugh!! The kids hate them by the time they do the program in November. My wife slips in a few fun things, and then also does a children's choir at our home for fun songs, which they then do at church. Often with a few raised eyebrows. "Uh, that song is not in the song book. You should not be doing that."

No fun, not even a little bit. Joy suckers. Oh, and if you do not get married in the temple and your bishop does your wedding, look out for an awful ceremony, laden with guilt about getting married "for real" in a year.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 08:59AM

What else are you sure to never see at a Mormon wedding?

A virgin groom...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 09:00AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 09:03AM

A pull from a flask of Crown Royal by each of us in the wedding party just before the ceremony to calm the us all down. It was awesome.

Real dancing at the reception.

Family and friends coming from all over the country because a wedding is actually a big deal.

Date: October 23, 2012 09:05AM

...non Church member family members.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 09:15AM

...Bride 'n Groom making wedding vows to each other and NOT just to the Danged Old Freakin' church!!!!

You know, like a REAL wedding...?

Date: October 23, 2012 09:24AM

Victoria's Secrets...

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 09:26AM

I showed this clip to my middle son before he got married, and encouraged him to do something similar. He liked this clip, but they went with a 'traditional' wedding in the Relief Society room, and he had my ex-brother in law (who was a bishop from a different state) officiate. That was certainly a mistake.

This ex-BIL spent time during the ceremony spreading the lies that one of his sisters used to tell their parents about how mean her ex-husband was (I think he was referring to me). And then he talked about how their father used to help change stinky, poopy diapers for his kids (thus indicating what a wonderful penisholder he was).

What a way to ruin a wedding.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 09:32AM

Must have been a second marriage. The fun weddings always are.

Date: October 23, 2012 10:04AM

LOL... funny you should say that. My husband's first wedding was in Denmark. His crazy ex wife showed up in Germany, where he was serving with the Army, and convinced him to marry her (she had just dumped her first ex husband). They were married in Denmark, then later got sealed when they converted to Mormonism. No family members were present at either ceremony.

When we got married, my husband insisted on having a "real" wedding. And we had a real wedding... complete with his dad (and best man) fainting right before we said our vows. Both families were there to see us tie the knot and we were married by my former boss, who is now a Presbyterian minister (and has always been very Scottish). Next month, we're celebrating our 10th anniversary in Scotland. I was looking at wedding photos last night... it was a hassle having that real wedding, but I'm so glad we did it.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 09:44AM

WE WERE ROBBED!!!!!!

Knotty, I posted this video a few years ago when it first came out - one of my all-time favorite YouTube videos.

Love, joy, hilarity (those guys were jammin' like the former frat boys I'm sure they were) . . . now THAT's a real wedding!

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 09:50AM by shannon.

Date: October 23, 2012 10:04AM

I love the guy with the beard. He is an awesome dancer and looks like someone who's a lot of fun to know!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 10:29AM

Date: October 23, 2012 11:48AM

Don't tell me you don't know which one I'm referring to... the guy who's a bit stocky and shakes his ass with so much style? There's something very attractive about a guy who dances without worrying what other people think. Of course, he's got rhythm, which is probably why he's so stylish!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 11:10AM

Date: October 23, 2012 11:48AM

It makes me cry every time, too. It's very moving to see a couple surrounded with so much love, friendship, and support at their wedding.

Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 01:28PM

I had tears in my eyes watching it as well. I'm a guy, what's wrong with me? :-)

I guess the reason I cried was either because I'm a sissy, or because I just stared true love in the face.

Yeah, that's it. True love is awesome to behold, isn't it? Thanks for posting this.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 01:34PM

I guess it depends on who is doing the LDS reception. I have attended them in fancy snazzy places with wonderfully catered food, a DJ and dancing and all the traditional stuff - beautiful cake and decorations.

The actual marriage is private of course, in the temple, but the receptions are often a really big deal if the people can afford it, of course.

Our own daughter decorated the chapel and the "gym," wore an off-the-shoulder gown of her own design that she made, and had a traditional wedding with music, etc., that was videoed by a member, but that is not allowed anymore.

Date: October 23, 2012 02:04PM

Well, when I posted this, I was thinking about the actual wedding. Receptions are different, I guess, and I would be more likely to expect to see something like this at a party after the ceremony.

What I thought was sad were comments I read on YouTube that lambasted this couple for being "disrespectful" to God by dancing down the aisle to secular music.

Posted by: azexmo ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 02:15PM

We had a bagpiper lead my father and I into the ceremony...then my husband and I followed him up the aisle after it was over. I was worried that it would be too loud, but it turned out to be absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

An Irish band (complete with all the silly sing-along-songs/fun covers and requests) made the reception one that everyone seems to remember!!!!

Every single TBM family member present sat through the ceremony as if they were being tortured, and then left before all the fun began after lunch.

And I've never seen any of them since.

(Well, except for my coffee-drinking "TBM" grandmother.)

That was almost 12 years ago.

And, for the record, we had to send the Best Man and some other guys to refill our open bar -- we cleaned it out TWICE!

To think that I would have never met him, let alone married him, had I stayed in.

{Insert two middle fingers held high, directed at every LDS steeple in town.}

F U J.S.

ROCK ON PEOPLE!

Date: October 23, 2012 02:22PM

LOL... I was piped in by a bagpiper too, combined with an organist. They played "Highland Cathedral" for me, which oddly enough, was composed in 1985 by Germans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=hoTfnS0blA8

So glad I could have this played at my wedding! (No, the video is not from my wedding-- it just sounds like my processional did.)

Posted by: azexmo ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 03:01PM

PIPED IN! Love it :)

YES!!!!! It was absolutely BREATHTAKING!

Listening to that link just brought me back to the moment the pipes started playing, my heart was fluttering, and I looked ahead at the man I knew I wanted to spend my life with.

To think I wouldn't have ever met him...we met in a bar {GASP, I KNOW!}...let alone marry him.

Thankful for the still small voice that planted those seeds of doubt!!!!!

Date: October 23, 2012 03:12PM

Now see... THAT'S what weddings should be all about. We married at my dad's alma mater, Virginia Military Institute, and all those who could wore uniforms. There was a huge mural of the Battle of Newmarket in front of us, which seems appropriate given how challenging marriage can be.

And if you knew where I met my exmo husband, you might blush! Thankfully, no one in his family is LDS except for his extremely estranged daughters who have no idea what they are missing.

I love the video of the couple dancing down the aisle... My husband would never go for that because he doesn't dance for anybody. But he was happy and proud that we had a bagpiper there. And we're going to celebrate our 10th anniversary in Scotland next month, where we will surely be enjoying plenty of scotches! Maybe we'll go to Ireland for our 15th anniversary, since that's where my husband's family is from.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 03:24PM

I love Lexington.

And I want to know where you met him :-p

Date: October 23, 2012 04:01PM

Actually... I met him in a chatroom affiliated with a now defunct adult Web site for kinky people. I had just started grad school and had no friends or sex life and he had just re-entered the military and separated from his ex wife, who had refused to rejoin the military with him. At the time, he was still LDS, so it was kind of weird.

We were both curious and stumbled upon the Web site/chatroom at the same time. Oddly enough, no one in the chatroom was talking about anything really naughty or kinky (that stuff was mostly done in private). It happened to be a mostly intelligent group of folks. I started chatting about my love of travel and we became friends. We talked online for about a year and a half before we met in person, which was about a year after his divorce was final.

It turns out we're very compatible (and actually pretty vanilla), but it's hard to tell people exactly where we met for obvious reasons. I was delighted, though, when we were dating and he bought me a 12 pack of beer. When I visited him again, the leftovers were gone. I actually cheered when I asked him where the beer was and he said he drank it. Talk about leading someone to sin. ;-)

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 03:34PM

Well done people. Well done. Being creative and different is a good way to be.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 04:25PM

In addition to the entrance dance that they personalized, they had a *gasp* woman officiating!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.