Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumbo ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 03:25AM

When I was a very young child about 25-30 years ago my mom bought a collection of books for us. They were sold in the manner of Tupperware, Mary Kay, etc. at parties at people’s houses. Each book had a cassette tape with a narration of the book and songs to go with it. I think each book was supposed to teach you a value like kindness, honesty, and stuff like that. But I just remembered a disturbing memory of the one about “obedience”. The story went something like this:

A little piggy lived in a small pen with high fences around it. He always asked his mommy what was out there but she wouldn’t tell him. He wanted to go see what was outside the pen. His pig parents and the farmer and other animals told him it was dangerous and he should never leave the pen or try to find out what was out there. But he was so curious that he snuck out one day. There was a bad dog out there. And the dog “bit off the pig’s curly little tail”.
I thought it was really scary at the time.
Then there was a song that went something like:

Better obey your daddy when he tells you what to do
Better obey your mommy when she tells you what to do
Better obey the doctor when he tells you what to do
Better obey your teacher when she tells you what to do… etc.

I can’t even begin to express how appalling this is, especially now that I am a parent. I would NEVER teach my kids this type of crap!!! OBIDIENCE IS NOT A VIRTUE!!!

Does anyone remember these books or know what I am talking about? I don’t know if they were Mormon specifically or just general crazy BS. Actually it’s possible some of the books might not have been that bad I only remember the scary parts…

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 04:49AM

Yes I grew up listening to those tapes in the 80s each night before bed. They were written by Janeen Brady who is Mormon and are the "standing tall" series of Brite. There are coloring books which have the narration written and you can follow along. We also used to listen to the safety kids tapes and books as well as songs from Janeen. "See me run" for example. I think there are a total of 12 virtues put to books. As children we actually loved these books. Looking back they are very Mormon influenced with the black and white/good bad type thinking. We were kind of naieve kids though. They still sell these sets online. My mom actually bought a set for my little girl. They are now on cd instead of tape. I remember they first came out in 1978 so they have been around forever! I would think they were a big deal in utah in the 80s especially in places like Provo. Thanks for sharing it brings back memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 04:50AM by turnonthelights.

Posted by: tumbo ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 07:26PM

Oh yeah, Janeen Brady thanks!

Posted by: I loved the "Safety Kids" ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 04:09PM

turnonthelights Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes I grew up listening to those tapes in the 80s
> each night before bed. They were written by Janeen
> Brady who is Mormon and are the "standing tall"
> series of Brite. There are coloring books which
> have the narration written and you can follow
> along. We also used to listen to the safety kids
> tapes and books as well as songs from Janeen. "See
> me run" for example. I think there are a total of
> 12 virtues put to books. As children we actually
> loved these books. Looking back they are very
> Mormon influenced with the black and white/good
> bad type thinking. We were kind of naieve kids
> though. They still sell these sets online. My mom
> actually bought a set for my little girl. They are
> now on cd instead of tape. I remember they first
> came out in 1978 so they have been around forever!
> I would think they were a big deal in utah in the
> 80s especially in places like Provo. Thanks for
> sharing it brings back memories.

I am sorry you didn't have a good experience with the Janeen Brady stuff. I grew up listening to the Safety Kids, which I love and I still love today. I actually just purchased it for my kids. But I thought I would pipe in about the Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I have a slightly different perspective that. That is one of the most tender books I have ever read. I remember reading it as a child thinking the same thing...why would the tree do that, literally give everything she had for this little boy, so she was left with nothing. Doesn't make any sense. As I read it to my children now, I literally cant get through it without crying a little. I have literally felt like that tree in my own life, as I feel like I have given up, and given everything to my children, and by giving up so much, just like the tree, I am happy, and that is what makes me happy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 05:36AM

The Book of Mormon
The Pearl of Great Price
The Bible
The Children's Friend
The New Era
The Ensign
Primary 1. I am a child of God.
Primary 2. Choose the Right A.
Primary 4. Book of Mormon

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 10:30AM

LOL, I thought this was going to be about Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree, which, IMO, is one of the worst pieces of garbage ever put to print. Hey, I know! Let's teach children how to be a people-pleasing doormat. Give up every part of yourself and everything you have and are so some selfish jerk can sit on your stump and bemoan the fact that you have nothing left to give.

Gawd, I hate that book.

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 10:45AM

The Giving Tree was my MIL's favorite book. She saw herself as a martyr because her son and myself refused to play TSSC's game after all she had done to control him all those years. Talk about a guilt trip. It didn't bother me, however, just confirmed how sick she was.

Posted by: Ginger25 ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 12:53PM

You should let your MIL know that Shel Silverstein was a contributor to Playboy. Mainly cartoons.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 09:05PM

I remember a while back there was a thread about a 'Testimony Glove' thingy for kids to 'help them' (brainwash them) gain a testimony. The thread was hilarious, as was the glove.

Poor kids. Books, toys, cds, computer games... they probably get it from all sides. Pisses me off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.