Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rockfish ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 12:03PM

Aside from this book, what other books would you recommend I read to have a better grasp on the history of Mormonism/The Church?
Or just any book about Mormonism (that isn't 'pro-mo' literature)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 12:13PM

It is pro Christian but a very honest story of his exit from TSCC.

I found it helpful..........and I am not Christian.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 03:32PM

Jac's an old friend from way back, and I knew he'd left the church (I e-mailed him a few years ago), but I'm glad to see his exit story has helped others...

Three of mine not mentioned so far:

Nightfall at Nauvoo by Samuel W. Taylor

Orrin Porter Rockwell: Man of God, Son of Thunder by Harold Schindler

Blood of the Prophets by Will Bagley

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 05:17PM

Some years back DH and I went to hear JAC and Leann speak and sing at an Evangelical Church in Fullerton.
They live in La Habra Heights last I heard. Leann was diagnosed with MS and struggling with her health at that time.

They were inspiring........
I had so many fears as I was leaving TSCC that seeing them and hearing them was just what I needed.

K

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 12:21PM

I met the author at exmo conference a few years ago and he signed my book. Nice, nice older gentleman. I read the entire book on my cross-country flight back home.

It is very basic, designed to carefully and methodically deconstruct the Book of Mormon and the LDS religion.

I was a convert of 17 years and no other book that I read (and I read most of them during my exit from the church) explained the history and doctrine of Mormonism as well as that book. Very simple and easy to understand.

;o)

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 12:25PM

Insider's Guide to Mormon Origins, by Grant Palmer

No Man Knows My History, by Fawn Brodie

Mormonism: Shadow or Reality?, by Sandra and Jerald Tanner

Early Mormonism and the Magic World View, by D. Michael Quinn

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 12:38PM

In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith, by Todd Compton

By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus, by Charles Larson

Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, by Newell and Avery

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:30PM

It takes time to read them all (unless you are a speed reader).

After following your posts and understanding what you are attempting, I would go with the book, "Keystone to Mormonism" by Arza Evans. It is a fast, easy read and it hits the needed points with great documentation. I think you and your missionary would find it very helpful (If he would read it) in getting on the same page about Mormonism.

Posted by: rockfish ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:48PM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it! If I'm interested in the topic, I can get through books pretty quickly.
IF he comes back, I'm going to try and recommend some of these books to him. I don't see why he wouldn't read them, but we'll see...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:54PM

Misc - books on "the big picture" that are helpful putting Mormonism in perspective. Some Mormons see the connection to their own religion, some do not.

"The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell

"Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan

"Why People Believe Weird Things" by Michael Shermer

"The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine

"The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer

Others listed most of the books on my more complete list, most I own.

Posted by: Camara ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 03:27PM

I recently read The God Makers. Good if you're A) questioning the church and B)see little imps and boogie men strummin their thummin.
Otherwise, PU.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 03:35PM

But over at MA&D, they sure love to use him as the prototype for an ex-Mormon...

BTW, EricK ex-communicated Decker from this place quite a few years ago...

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:47PM

Camara Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently read The God Makers. Good if you're A)
> questioning the church and B)see little imps and
> boogie men strummin their thummin.
> Otherwise, PU.

Sorry, I read this one too and would NOT recommend it. Please don't buy it. The God Makers is a very UNSCHOLARLY written book full of sensationalism, half-truths, and annoying Bible bashing. Mormons apologists LOVE this book because it is so easy to rip apart and they love to hold it up as an example "anti-Mormon" books.

If you're reading "anti-Mormon" I would stick with Jerald & Sandra Tanners' stuff. They are legit and stick to the facts. I recommend their books. I would go with Mormonism-Shadow or Reality. It's got a TON of info. Is well documented. Hits pretty much every critical aspect of Mormonism and presents it in a very straight forward, well documented style. There's not much to argue with it. This is the book that I read on MY MISSION that made me leave my mission a NON-believer.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 03:42PM

by Richard Abanes

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 04:32PM

I recommend plain old (simple, not-in-your-face, sly, rather indirect) libertarian and progressive magazines like The Nation, The Progressive, The Village Voice, and a newspaper like The New York Times.

Yes, the left can be whacked out just like the right. But the church is so right-wing (John Birch Society, Skousen, Glenn Beck, Republican, completely business oriented, traditionalist to a fault) that a little political enlightenment from alternative perspectives can do wonders. Once a person starts discovering that he or she has sympathies to the left on a given issue or two, or finds that certain libertarian arguments ring the right note, the cog-dis that that will bring with it in the LDS church setting should make for interesting insights, problems, discussions, perceptions.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 05:25PM

and here's the reason they are my first choice - besides being the one that got me out.

They have microfilmed and reproduced the actual documents (so now puzzling if their representation is out of contest, a distortion, reproduced in its entirety, etc.)

They have credibility that's well earned. Mark Hofmann, a document forger, was making a living selling embarrassing (fake) historical documents to the church (who was buying them to keep people like you and me from seeing them). He trotted out one which has become famous as the "Salamander Letter" which describe's Smith's initial description of a salamandar rather than an angel which lead him to the hidden Book of Mormon."

OK. The church was already manufacturing excuses which were a stretch, like "the word salamandar in the old days also meant "angel".... They assumed the document was valid.

WHEREAS enter our heroes, the Tanners, who are scrupulously honest Christian researchers on Mormonism. They refused to capitalize on this embarrassing find and add it to their growing pile of truly incriminating evidence that the church was false. The Tanners said that sufficient research had not been done and there were concerns about the document's authenticity.

So, it looks like honesty and scruples trumps the special relationship these hoaxsters claim they have with Jesus.

Either that, or Jesus didn't bother to inspire the GA's in the matter, but let them spend members' tithing money on suppressing truth. Just what I gave up my breakfast for on Fast Sunday.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 08:53PM

I liked Bill Hickman's Brigham's Destroying Angel. Whether it's true or not is anybody's guess but it's still fascinating. You can read it for free online. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.