Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 02:01PM

I was thinking about how Romney, during his campaign, says one thing to one group of people and another thing to another group of people. He doesn't tell or reveal everything, and he doesn't really answer a question if it's not one of his talking points. He's given his art of politicking the good ol' Mormon twist.

Mormon mothers whisper into their toddler's ear, and the toddler repeats, "I know the church is twoo." This teaches children to say what others want hear just to get approval. It also teaches that lying is acceptable.

At BYU, religion professors tell their classes that when someone asks a question about Mormonism that they don't particularly like, don't answer that question, but rather, "answer the question they should have asked."

Missionaries are taught specific lessons and specific responses and arguments. What they teach in order to get conversions is not real Mormonism. It comes from the mantra of "milk before meat."

Maybe it's just me, but these Mormon traits seem so obvious in Romney, although you could say what Romney does is typical of all politicians. But Romney's years of Mormon training take him to another level.

I apologize if you think this post crosses into politics.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 02:59PM

I think Romney's etch-o-sketch comment at the beginning of the general campaign (after he won the primary) was applicable to Mormonism. It reflects on thinking that people are mind numb automatons ready to "reset" when those in authority are ready to change their minds on an issue. Sort of like "Follow the prophet" (or the candidate in Romney's case). No one is supposed to think for themselves; just parrot what your leaders tell you. It was little wonder why so many in the general public reacted so negatively to this comment - and why Mitt the Twit somehow thought the comment was OK. Mormons were accustomed to warping their thinking around what Mormon leaders tell them, but plenty of the rest of the nation wasn’t used to this kind of conditioning.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 03:08PM

From what I can tell his Mormonism is not hurting his campaign. That's a good commentary on Americans.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 11:17PM

TOday on Chris Matthews' show, the commenter was a woman who mentioned that Mitt Romney had supported his church's racism "even though he was a bishop." She thought he should have had the moral courage to oppose it since he was so "high up."

That is so wrongheaded in terms of understanding Mormonism one hardly knows where to begin. Interesting, though, Matthews responded that he did not want to get into anybody's religion. She objected, pointing out that abortion and racism are political topics that are promoted by religions. Matthews became so uncomfortable he cut the interview short.

I suspected this was true, that the crossover of religion and politics on moral issues is taboo in the mainstream media as a POLICY DECISION.

This is why more of our information isn't out there like Obama's America-hating pastor was.

Anagrammy

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 12:05AM

Chris Matthews is practically a Mormon Apologist. Won't let anyone say a bad word about Mormons.
Lawrence O'Donnell on the other hand has let them have it a lot this election season.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 04:01AM

Lawrence O'Donnell caught flack from the Democratic establishment. Democrats love to sell themselves as the more tollerant and less prejudice party. Also, they don't want Obama's islamic and radical anti-american church ties to become an issue.

They want to stay away from religion and paint Romney as part of the greedy 1%. With Romney they want to play the class card. That's the strategy.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 03:13PM

Mormonism cultivates disfunctional thinking. It so blurs the line between reality and illusion that Mormons have trouble knowing when they are lying and when they are telling the truth. Mormonism requires irrational explanations and willful ignorance. It's a violation of the human mind.

Good post, BYUAlumnuts.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 08:43PM

The cadence of his speech in Iowa today reminded me of General Conference. I don't know if I can take four years of that.

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 11:14PM

I-----dunno-----ifIcantake----4more years of Obama's ChristopherWalken-like cadence-----myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 11:14PM by footdoc.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 04:08AM

I love it. Four years of Romney will put the spotlight on the Mormon church for a longer period of time and this will turn out to be negative for the church. It will just become another church and nothing special. The members of the church will no longer feel special since the rest of the world will just view them as nothing special. The whole buzz for Mormons is they are unique and having a Mormon president will make them nothing speical.

The reality is both Mitt and Obama are bought and paid for by Goldman Sachs. Obama could go after Mitt on the Goldman Sachs thing but he's just as guilty. One thing for sure, the political system no longer serves the average person. It's all about Super Pacs, big money, and two parties that seem to push the same big government and war industry agenda.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 12:15AM

awesome

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 11:54PM

The problem is, most of the country is not aware of what Mormons believe. They don't know that Mitt is typically Mormon. We on RfM can see he's so adept at 'lying for the lard' that he's a master at 'lying for the presidency.' But the vast majority of non-Mormons have no clue.

I tell my friends about this, and tell them what Mormons believe and they're stunned. Mormons may think the whole world admires and loves them, but suprise! the whole world has no idea who the hell they are.

To their advantage in this case.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.