Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 08:00AM

OK, I like Pampered Chef...it was good stuff.
The rest seemed benign.
But now my wife is buying "essential oils" that even comes with a treatment table for various medical conditions.

So I'm coughing from a minor cold the other night, and about to take Nyquil (for the active ingredient EtOH that makes me go to sleep)...and she says NO use this herbal remedy.

She rubs something on me that smells like cinnamon turpentine...and in 5 minutes I'm wheezing and my eyes are burning (I had a corneal abrasion a few years ago and ever since then my eye is oversensitive to chemical irritation).

She acts offended like I just have a bad attitude. What?

God I tire of the TBM "so-true" complex that you can have a testimony of everything from cosmic beings to diapers.

I'll just take the Nyquil this time, thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 09:20AM

Funny. All of the sudden, I know several TBMs or Utahns who are into essential oils. I didn't know it was an MLM, but now it makes sense. It' all the same women who will do anything to avoid getting off their butts and getting a job. They get into every MLM that makes them feel like they are working. And when they move on to something else (because all the mormons have tapped each other out and they can't get it out of he mormon circles), the only thing their family got out of it was lots of soap or bakeware or tupperware or makeup or candles or jewelry or expensive food storage or whatever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 09:21AM by NormaRae.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 10:07AM

I was looking into buying some essential oils. The reason I want some is to add scent to my homemade laundry soap. I looked at different pricing online. Then a friend recommended one particular brand that I looked into. It's sold by an MLM and the price was something like 8x the price of an online essential oils store.

Those companies prey on people and the sales spiel attempts to make you think you desperately need something even though you never even heard of it before. You spend a gazillion dollars, and get your crap which just sits there. In the end you feel embarrassed and duped when you realize that it doesn't work. Name the company, the story is the same.

The name "essential oils" cracks me up too. Essential for what? Essential for getting your money from you, that's what!

Pampered Chef is pretty cool, though!

Date: October 28, 2012 10:11AM

From the article, "Essential oils should not be used undiluted on the skin, and should not be taken internally. Period, the end, no caveats or “except for….” statements."

That might be why you were having problems!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 11:02AM

I know people that drink that shit like its soda..

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 02:02PM

Drinking essential oils???

Do they also bitch about diarrhea? LOL! Wow!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 12:11AM

I never asked lol

Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 01:33AM

But I bet it would smell positively celestial!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 10:14AM

There are a few EO that I like to keep around, but I shop for low price!
Clove oil for toothache. Dilute with an edible oil, and it works as well as anbesol.
Anything orange/citrus, it's a very cheering scent. Cedar oil, works like mothballs. Rose hip seed oil for skin.
Some people swear by lavender EO for healing, but I haven't tried it.

I wouldn't buy anything a "friend" is pushing, because I know I can find it cheaper online. :D

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 01:47AM

I'm the same way. I use tea tree oil for some stuff. Lavender too. But I buy inexpensively and there is no way in hell I'm paying 8x markup.

Date: October 28, 2012 10:15AM

Another article specifically about the MLM based sales tactics and false claims. Do Terra is the company I was referring to.

http://www.quadrivium-supplies.com//cropwatchtgescorrected.pdf

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 09:55AM

(they did it at night of course) every NBU (neighborhood box office) had not one but 2 notices taped with tape as strong as duct tape. The box units belong to the post office and not to be used for adertising by the way.

Anyway, there was a big red cross on each and it said a meeting for community service will be held in the club house (which is not to be used for sales).

So it is deceptive and looks like it is a class on first aid or disaster something or other. After reading and reading I figure out it is a sales presentation for Do Terra and I called the HOA and immediately put a stop to that and tore down all the ads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2012 09:56AM by mav.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 10:28AM

MLMs are and EO are both crap.

I'm guessing your wife is on her ninth MLM because the other eight failed to make her rich. The problem isn't the product the MLM pushes, it's the business model. It's un sustainable.

A lot of MLM products are harmless, or totally useless. They're always overpriced. They have to be in order to support the supply chain. Many MLM products make inflated claims. Oooo, it's the long-lost/recently-discovered secret to health/beauty/world peace. And some cross the line to medical quackery, promising cures.

Mormons buy into MLMs because they fit the same magical mentality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 10:47AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 01:51AM

That is the perfect explanation! My in laws are pretty bitter that we have refused to get on board with their Primerica crap (which they have been throwing money into for years and surprise surprise, haven't made any money at it). No matter what the product, the business model is shit.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 10:46AM

My wife called me at work on Friday and said she had some good news about Young Living. I asked "what, did they go out of business?" She then tells me how much my comment hurt her feelings because these oils have helped her so much....blah blah.

It is AROMA THERAPY. If they want stuff that smells good, have pepperoni pizza, baked bread, or BBQ smelling oils. There are many of these things that she uses that cause me to exhibit asthma type symptoms when in close proximity.

I never see guys suckered into this particular MLM.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 10:56AM

I've used lavender oil with almond oil to rub on my Asperger son's feet for relaxing to help the onset of sleepyness. I need to get some more it was very nice to have the scent of lavender as you're going to sleep.

I need to put some stems of lavender in my 'rice' bag. I made a bag stuffed with rice that I can throw in the microwave and use it as a hot pad. It holds the heat longer than a water bottle and conforms more to the body part you want the heat on. The only down side was the steamy dusty smell of hot dry uncooked rice!

Too bad about the EO MlM when you can get all your oils easily and for a lot less eleswhere.

When Amway sold their laundry powder that only took 1/4 cup that was great to know you didn't need a cup and a half of laundry soap to wash with. Then 'Fresh start' came out soon after my second box of Amway and I never went back.

Then the major soap companies got the consumer message and took most of the chalk out of their products as well.

What ever the MLM sells, check for it elsewhere, it's probably of better quality and a lot cheaper! And without the fake friends trying to sell you stuff!

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 01:55PM

I really like the Melaluca lotion. Has anyone ever used that? Your hands feel like silk. The other day I checked to see how much it would cost to just order it outright without having to sign up to their club.........one quote was $89 for two bottles of lotion! That is highway robbery! I am just going to make my own.

I use essential oils now that I make almost everything from home. I make my own deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, cleaning products, etc. I order from Vitacost and use pure essential oils, but they are not expensive at all.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 10:00AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 02:10PM

MLM = mormons losing money.
That cracks me up.

Posted by: Tara the Pagan ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 12:10AM

"Essential" refers to the fact that the oils are made from the essences of plants.

EOs can be very effective for certain ailments, but it takes training to know how to use them properly. I'm cringing now, thinking of all those ex-Tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon, and Scentsy "distributors" getting out their little manuals and prescribing EOs to their hapless relatives and ward members.

They are also used for magickal purposes; I'd LOVE to see the TBMs get into that ;-) .

There are several reputable companies that make them and either retail them in health food/New Age stores, or sell them online. I would not buy them from an MLM -- EVER.

Puff is right -- you can make many of them at home, yourself. Some, like Rose essential oil, are prohibitively expensive to buy.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 02:39PM

+1

I shop for mine from trusted websites that I have shopped from previously, or also vitamin cottage stocks them. It makes me mad that there's an MLM for these....oh well.

Posted by: exmowife ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 12:44AM

I've been using EO's in my home made soap, lotions and for healing and cleaning for many years and have not had it connected with the mormon church - make some myself, shop wisely for others.

Lately I noticed DH's TBM family making noises about EO's, but I didn't take much heed of it as I am not actually included in the conversations, so no need to respond.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 12:55AM

I'm reminded of the famous oft quoted interview with William Law. When people recognise the church for what it is intelligent men of integrity (like Anointed One) get out. Unscrupulous business men like Mitt Romney stay in.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 01:14AM

Posted by: safetyforthesoul ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 09:17AM

My VT is a DoTerra distributer and has been after me to have a 'party.' "Hey Safety, can we come visit you on Monday at 9am? Oh, and is this a good time to have a party? The promotion this month is amazing!" Why, yes, I love people coming over and bringing their kids to my house on a Monday morning after I've just got my own kifs out of the house. And way to work your MLM scheme into your VT! 10 Mormon points for you!

I do like essential oils.... I like them for cleaning and some preventative measures (like the antibacterials). But I'm okay with my zpack for my sinus infection, thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 10:01AM

So, like 50 years after the hippies did the "essential oils" thing, Mormons are taking it up?

They can't stay current with anything, can they? Do they still sell 8-track tapes in the BYU Bookstore?

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 02:34PM

One of my TBM cousins lives in the heart of the Morridor and has at least 4-5 home businesses going (all are unsuccesfuly). Her latest is doTerra and she's spamming the whole family with it, plus annoying the hell out of her family and friends.

She's harassed so many of her neighbors over the 10 years that they've lived in their current house that they won't let their kids play with her kids. As a result, her children are being shunned at both church and school. Her solution to this was to start going to a different ward and pull the kids out of the public ed system to be homeschooled. And she continues to spam everyone who has a pulse and some means of contact.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 02:53PM

My TBM grandmother loves any MLM that involves some kind of health product, so essential oils are right up her alley. I usually only seen her once a year, and those visits are taken up with her trying to do a "health exam" on our family, then making a recommendation on what products we need. My mom plays along, but my dad refuses to let her "examine" him. I guess I never realized selling this stuff automatically made you a doctor with medical expertise!

Posted by: chummy ( )
Date: October 29, 2012 03:37PM

TBM ex-SIL used essential oils on all four of her children when they were sick. The kids are like doorsteps, sharing bedrooms, etc. so if one was ill, the others soon followed. Junior coughing up a lung, little sister vomiting? No problem, just rub some essential oil on their toes! Needless to say, those kids were ALWAYS sick. I felt so sorry for them :(

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.