Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 04:16PM

What are missionaries and their families currently required to pay for missions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 04:19PM

$400 per month I believe. [EDIT to be in line with what 2jedis says below - she would know since she was actually paying it.]

Plus provide clothing & a bicycle (in areas that require a bike.)

Missionaries receive some level of allowance back to spend on necessities like food - how much depends on the area - I believe we got $150 a month in AZ in the early 90s. In many areas is it reported that the family has to send additional money to cover necessities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 05:40PM by bc.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 04:21PM

Do they pay their own flight to the mission field, whether it's domestic or overseas?

Or does SLC cover the trip there and back?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 04:46PM

I believe the person pays to get to the MTC and then the church covers the rest.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 08:11PM

Our son went to the MTC in Preston, England. They paid to fly him there and home.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 05:39PM

They probably get corporate and tons of air miles. Additionally, the church's corporate credit cards are probably air mile cards. I'd be surprised if their transport costs were very high.

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 10:28PM

They negotiate contracts with the airlines. Tickets really aren't that much cheaper than for anyone else.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 07:51PM

on my mission back in 98 airfare was covered to the MTC then to the mission field and then the flight home.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 08:25PM

I was really amazed to see our locals have a brand new 4WD, 4 door, Chevy Colorado...

Date: October 30, 2012 05:29PM

Our son got home in February and it was $400/month unless they raised it since he went out.

Date: October 30, 2012 05:40PM

Is the monthly living allowance still $125? I know they reduced it a couple years ago to $125 (I thought).

Date: October 30, 2012 07:42PM

It depends if you are male or female, and where you go on your mission. The guys in South America get peanuts.

Date: October 30, 2012 07:54PM

Ugh. I am SO convinced that this is a huge money-making operation for the church. Even more than a goal of indoctrination or converts, it's a profit generating operation.

Sick. Sick. Sick. Sick. Sick.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 08:03PM

I agree.

Sister missionaries lived in my home with me. During that time, each missionary STILL had to pay the monthly fee even though I did NOT charge TSCC rent. The mission offered to pay $75 per month in utilities, but I declined. Living in my home was at absolute NO COST to TSCC, but the missionaries still had to pay. Plus, the missionary's allowance worked out to about $4.00 per day for food.

SICK.

Date: October 30, 2012 08:49PM

That makes me want to vomit. Even if they did pay $75 for utilities, that still means that out of the $400 a month, only $162 is mission expense, where does the other $238 go? I don't buy the office, logistics, gas costs, MP costs, that's all factored into the church's expenses, for which they claim is covered by tithing. I don't believe the whole "balancing out the more expensive missions" story. The currency exchange and varied costs of living does that on its own. It's no surprise that they started pulling people out of European missions a couple years ago and replanting them in 3rd world or developing nations.

It's no wonder they lowered the missionary age for men and women. More missionaries, more money for the church. Even if they only made $50 net per missionary (which is way lowballed), and they only have 50k missionaries out (again, low figure considering the huge influx of missionaries they will be sending out), that's still $2,500,000 PER MONTH. That's $30,000,000 PER YEAR, just making $50 per missionary, with only 50k out.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 07:13PM

Buying all the needs for a mission, clothing, personal items, medical exams and vaccinations, dental work, scriptures and books, passports, visas, and whatever I am missing will run well over $2ooo, and that's before they get to the MTC. Bikes are often purchased after arrival at the mission. If the dental work includes getting wisdom teeth removed which is mandatory, that's another big expense if you don't have insurance, which we did not. My daughter was missing a vaccination, she got it at the MTC and we got the bill $58....lovely....the church is so generous. We send our children free of charge to sell their product and they can't even pay for a mandatory vaccination, not that I expected them to.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 07:57PM

They billed YOU for her vaccination? I'm speechless...after you were already paying tbem for the privilege of her selling for them, as you put it. I wonder what would have happened if you just hadn't paid it.

Date: October 30, 2012 08:12PM

Our son's mission stopped paying for prescription meds partway through the mission. He was trying to pay for his asthma meds out of his pitiful allowance. Once we found out, we made sure he had money for them.

Date: October 30, 2012 08:54PM

That is disgusting. I remember being told at the MTC your children are now theirs, then they don't take care of their needs, absolutely disgusting.

Date: October 30, 2012 09:02PM

That makes me sick! Did you take them to task about it, or just sent more money?

These unscrupulous men. Ugh.

Date: October 30, 2012 10:57PM

We were TBM, so we just put money in his account. He was in England, so on the national healthcare. We have insurance for him as well. It only amounted to a $20/month copay, so why so chintzy?

Date: October 30, 2012 08:51PM

I think they would have written it off. My son had an injury on his mission, he was out of the country and insurance companies dont insure those missionaries, the church has to cover. We were asked if we could pay the $1500 bill, I said no, and we never heard any more about it.

Date: October 30, 2012 09:02PM

Good for you for saying no!

Date: October 30, 2012 09:26PM

I was very TBM at the time too!

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 09:31PM

I think there are plenty of people who add to the general missionary fund on their tithing slips without needing to. That means there is even more surplus $ money.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 09:36PM

I have to do Lamaze breathing when I read this stuff. Nothing make me madder than the exploitation of our children. And that's what it is. It's surprising they aren't selling their blood while their in the MTC.

It is a human rights violation and wittyname's comments shocked me and also struck me as true. Missions are another profit center and LOOK--they just upped the anti by allowing even younger teens to go on missions. They will make a profit on this trafficking even if they don't make a single baptism.

Wonder if they will be interviewing the young girls for masturbating details when they have them under their control?

Anagrammy

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 31, 2012 09:37AM

Hmmm...

Bishop says, pay the Church $400 a month and we will send your child away for two years and only let you talk to him twice a year.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.