Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:01PM

I read this in the book "The eternal power of love" by Mother Theresa of Calcutta, in the chapter about lying, and it made me immediately think of the Mormon church. It was originally written in Portuguese (see below), so this is my own free translation:

------------------

"I can also attest how lying has become very common among "Jesus's representatives" in the world. People who call themselves religious or spiritualized, have been deceiving without any regrets, creating and feeding illusions, hiding the truth, cheating or speaking in half-truths, on behalf of that which they alledgely believe, or in fear of letting go of their most profound, but unfounded, beliefs.

Very resistant to recognize they are wrong, they elaborate whole philosophical treatises, distort writings, words, and the meanings of everything they see and hear, without perceiving the great harm they inflict on the people they relate to.

I believe the liar has an illness of the soul, or as some may prefer, a psychological illness, which translates truth backwards, taking for natural and normal that which is unreal, wrong or just fantasy. [The liar's] lack of respect for people, as well as the mental and emotional manipulation they exert over those who believe in their words, are difficult to explain. One of the interesting aspects of this destructive habit is that it doesn't face any barriers, social or of any other nature. It doesn't matter if one is smart, scholarly, talented, rich or very poor. The ilness is in the soul."

------------------

I couldn't stop thinking about TSCC while reading this, while the natural thing would be to think of the Catholic church, which I was raised in. I guess mormons are a lot more experienced in pathological lies and manipulation.

I have to be totally honest in case people want to check on this book, although it's not the purpose of this topic. Mother Theresa died in 1997, and this book was chanelled in 2010 by the brazilian medium Robson Pinheiro. Among his 30 or so published books, it's the first one with a "famous" author, and all proceedings have been donated to charity, since the first book.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:11PM

... hold on a second Jobim, I'm getting a message from beyond the grave... it's Mother Theresa... she says stop jacking off so much and read a science book.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:19PM

Did I read that correctly? A "medium" channeling Mother Theresa? (Please tell me you did not BUY his book to encourage his brand of con.)

A medium has the nads to include a chapter on lying and deception? Go figure!

Mormons could not hope to lie as well as Catholics who have perfected the religious art of lying (as in spinning for the good of the religion). Remember religious lies are well intentioned to the believer who tells them.

For example every time a religious person decides what Jesus wants he is lying. He has no knowledge of what Jesus wants except through hearsay and in fact, he has not even met Jesus. He is doing what he wants (or others have convinced him to do) and using Jesus to validate it. This goes for Mother Teresa as well as anyone else.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:19PM

According to more mundane sources, Mother Theresa was not a very nice person

a 'spiritual medium' is a liar by definition

that is all

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:23PM

while she herself received the best care medical science has to offer ?

She sounds like a scumbag to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 06:21PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:34PM

I think that she confused IUD with IED.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 05:27PM

It's ironic that a medium would write about honesty! This is rich -- thanks for the entertaining afternoon. I love it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.