Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: O2 ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 06:29PM

Or so goes the theme of demanding tolerance for intolerant religious beliefs. This behavior is evident in a number of religions. In some instances it is more egregious than in Mormonism. However, my personal experience has been mostly with this illogical position within Mormonism. We are expected to be tolerant of a Mormons desire to exhibit intolerance in a number of ways. The most blatant in my opinion is the missionary program. The core of the missionary program is a belief that only Mormonism has the power to save and that all people should become active Mormons for each person's own good. Mormons tend to be baffled by the idea that believing they are the elect, chosen to bring the truth to the world is inherently an intolerant, condescending attitude.

In effect, those involved in the missionary efforts are pointing out Mormon's perception of flaws in others' belief systems. This is a 24 hour a day 7 day a week effort by over 50,000 people. Everyone is supposed to respect and tolerate the judgments and intrusions from these missionaries. Conversely, when anyone judges Mormon beliefs they are branded as anti-Mormon or apostate. So rather than the missionary effort being an intolerant, condescending anti-Catholic, anti-Baptist, ant-atheist, etc attitude, it is a religious right that must be respected. Others are not allowed the same privilege however. Only Mormons have this special right based on the special pleading of being god's chosen people.

There is also the shunning and social pressure that arises from not believing as the current doctrine dictates. Again this is a religious right for Mormons. Those who might exclude Mormons would be labeled as anti- and intolerant.

I would argue that being tolerant of intolerance is not a requirement. If a believer in Mormonism (or any other -ism for that matter) engages in such behavior, I will call them on their intolerance and rank hypocrisy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 06:58PM

Mormons think nothing of denegrating everyone who isn't in their church but cry bloody murder if anyone mildly suggests an opposing opinion.

This is most obvious in the official missionary program but the undercurrent of intolerance in mormonism runs deeply through the daily lives of many mormons.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 08:39PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:26PM

Posted by: asraelle ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:00PM

I dislike the whole idea of "tolerance" when it's put into a moral context. As if tolerance is always ethical. Tolerating child abuse isn't ethical. Tolerating the lonely, talkative elderly woman in the grocery line is.

Maybe instead of focusing on tolerance, Mormons should try focusing on ethics. Is action ABC ethical in situation XYZ?

Then again, religion has never had much to do with ethics.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:28PM

I like that, asraelle.
Religion is about morality, not ethics IMNSHO.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 11:43PM

Well, then fuck you sideways! :)

oops, i just replied to myself. Getting on my side in 3...2...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 11:44PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 10:33PM

Posted by: notamomo ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 10:37AM

I can learn to tolerate anything but your intolerance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.