Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 11:40PM

In post:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,69491,69652#msg-69652

You make the statement "Well, to nonmormon Christians, God is Christ, and self-sacrifice is the greatest act of love of all." Well, if Christ is god as you stated, and God did not die, (the proof being that God resurrected Christ) what sacrifice was really made? I mean if Jesus really was the God of the bible, doesn't he/she/it have the power to turn of the suffering for his/her/its self? And if Jesus is God, did God actually die?

So, Jesus being God could not have died because if God died there would be nothing around to resurrect God... But you somehow believe that a dead god resurrected his/her/its self, eh?

Never mind my point, that if you do not believe the story of the resurrection, god does not unconditionally welcome you into the family of heaven, instead you are rejected, affectively SHUNNED by God.

So, is such shunning a sign of love in your book?

Oh and as far as post http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,69491,69644#msg-69644

I am sorry, but when you claim "Even the atheist has faith" you are wrong. I am an Atheist and I do not have the faith you claim I have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 11:42PM by MJ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2011 11:54PM

It goes along with the "everything is a religion" argument.

Date: January 01, 2011 11:56PM

But watch what happens when an Atheist tries to claim what a Theist believes. Wow. Even when you quote from the canonized scripture of the Church the person believes in!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 02, 2011 12:04AM

If Jesus was God, he knew he was eternal. So he couldn't really die and he always knew that. So he didn't ever really give up his life.

Of course, he did suffer and he certainly gets credit for that.

But why does suffering give you credit and isn't that what leads to those pitiful misguided third-worlders whipping themselves on the back with torture instruments, and all the horrific "purifying" tortures that took place in the Middle Ages?

I mean, isn't this whole idea really barbaric?

Anagrammy

Date: January 02, 2011 12:06AM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course, he did suffer and he certainly gets
> credit for that.
>

Did he really suffer? Couldn't God have turned off the pain and suffering and faked the suffering part? And who to say that an eternal God that can not die can even suffer?

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: January 02, 2011 12:11AM

Who says religion shouldn't be barbaric?

Date: January 02, 2011 12:12AM

Date: January 02, 2011 12:20AM

I wouldn't know anything about that - right, MJ?

Date: January 02, 2011 12:22AM

But I would know about a love of nurture and caring that you obviously have never experienced.

Date: January 02, 2011 12:31AM

Can you show me?

Date: January 03, 2011 05:02AM

I see no reason why I should have to make up for the shortcomings of your mother in regards to teaching you about love.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 02, 2011 12:24AM

Does it make sense now ?

Date: January 02, 2011 12:25AM

Posted by: notamomo ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 10:19AM

Ah, yes...the old trinity nonsense. Never could wrap my brain around it. So Jesus (who is God) was up on that cross talking to himself. "Father (me), forgive them for they know not what they do."

Actual humans have suffered pretty horrifically too. Jebus doesn't have a corner on the suffering market, so why was his suffering so special?

All religious notions are redonkulous, but the Jesus=God concept takes the cake!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.