Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 07:08PM

It's always interesting to hear what people are drinking on a Friday night (Mambo red wine for me), but I was just thinking how interesting it would be to learn more about our various daily lives.

I'll start-- It's been a long day for me taking my schizophrenic son to the dentist. They keep calling him to confirm the appointment and he kept telling me they cancelled it and moved it to another date. Today he told me he couldn't go because his medication was missing... ARGGHHHH!

My son is in his forties and has been disabled since he was 23. By the time I returned to my apartment and picked up the documents they needed to give him low cost care, the dentist reported that he had been "rude" and she was referring him to the dental school where they are specially trained to deal with psychologically challenged individuals. Wasn't that tactful?

He probably told her to get his hands "the F" out of his mouth. $85.00 for a five minute visit because that's as long as he would stay in the chair.

On the way home I told him it was his choice and I was fine with him having yet another extraction. He could choose to be a toothless old man blending his Subway sandwiches in my Magic Bullet, or he could take up ye olde flossing habit and actually be able to smile when he's my age.

His reply? "Will you buy me an electric toothbrush? It's just a product."

Going to pour the Mambo now.....

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 07:25PM

It sounds like you had a rough day. Sit down and enjoy your drink.

Also, don't want to add to your distress, and i'm only telling you my experience. But, usually going to the dental school can save you a ton of money. However, what takes 30 minutes at the dentist can take hours at the school. The reason being it's students doing the work. They are slower, and have to have every single step checked by the instructor. Sometimes this can involve a lot of waiting.

My advice would be to talk to the school before you sign up to be there. It can save you a lot of money if you can tolerate the time issues.

I don't know how bribes work with your son, but maybe if you buy him a toothbrush before you go, and let him have it if he does what he needs to do in the dental chair. I don't know what his memory, or his bribe factor is. Just a thought. Also, maybe he would do better if you were there to help keep him focused and on track. One thing we used to do with small kids that might work for him, is take him in and get him used to the surroundings. Show him what the different machines do, introduce him to the people who are going to be working with him. It helps people with anxieties if they know what's going on. Headphones might also be helpful with some relaxation music.

If push comes to shove, they can give him meds that will keep him in the chair until they're done. The same meds erase memory,which might be a good thing in this case. You would probably need to talk over how those drugs mix with his everyday meds. This can get done, you just have to have dentists that are willing to do what needs to be done.

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 07:38PM

I concur with Mia about the meds to relax him. I am actually very upset the DDS charged you for the visit. Your are in CA though. Figures. I had most of my dental career there. I could tell you some stories.

Date: November 09, 2012 08:00PM

That's a good idea, Mia...headphones! He is a musician and I am sure he would enjoy that. Maybe get him an iPod for his birthday.

Truth is, an extraction is much easier on him because they put him under.

The dentist said that the Special Needs part of the Dental School has dentists working on the students, so there's that plus. She said they also use pills to calm patients down (Lorazepam?)

Ana

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 08:05PM

They can put him under for root canal or any fillings that need to be done. It's not necessary for him to lose his teeth.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 08:16PM

Sorry about your frustrating day! Sometimes they can be like that.

Date: November 09, 2012 08:14PM

My day:

No school, so the kids were all home. I was down to two today because we only have three at home and the teen went to his buddy's house last night.

Grocery store trip this morning, came back for coffee and breakfast. Read some RfM, kids played outside a bunch because it's a nice day. Took a nap and a bubble bath. Got hot cocoa and lunch for the kids, played games with them, watched some TV and knitted, making dinner now and waiting for sithlord to come home. We won a movie package to the last Twilight movie. Neither of us have seen the others, so we decided to have a marathon this weekend. He's stopping to borrow them from a friend. I may be sorry; it's a high price to pay for a free movie. Pouring some red wine now.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention having to watch over my shoulder for Satan to show up. He never does, and it's rather disappointing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2012 08:17PM by twojedis.

Date: November 09, 2012 09:09PM

Date: November 10, 2012 08:30AM

That is funny! I've never read the books or seen the movies.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 09:06AM

Ana, you may find some comfort/help in talking with Wine Country Girl. If I'm not mistaken, her son has a similar illness. And she's a barrel of laughs!

Meantime, take care of you, and hang in there. It's hard raising someone with an illness or disability because you are a caregiver for life...

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 08:45PM

My day-

Fourth day in new apartment. HUD subsidized, 8 apartment complex, gated ..... in one of the worse areas of town :) Suits me fine Ana!
It is for qualified chronically mental ill adults. That's right Aspergers is a qualifying condition. Plus I am physically disabled as well ... and ...kinda old :). They screen carefully with No Drug tolerance or felonies.

The neighbors seem right on par with a trailer park I managed for a time. Out of 8 units only 3 have cars, me being one of those. Behavioral Health is kitty cornered to the complex. I am the only one not under their care I think. They don't take Medicare but that's just fine with me.. There are so many places to volunteer here, I am thrilled. Tired ... but thrilled lol

Unfortunately my son's PTSD escalated with some violence imminent to someone ... not gonna be me. My Doctor signed the papers and got me right out of a potentially bad situation. I am thankful and less scared here.
I thought my days of DV were over when my hubby died ... this time I saw the signs clear as day and knew I had to leave.

I just caught you up on my life. I hope for the best with your son. Gawds know I love mine. I hurt when he hurts ... Damn it is hard to be a parent

Namaste

Date: November 10, 2012 09:10AM

Mindlight, I empathize and have deep concern for those with any form of ASD. It is a challenge because although there has been lots of publicity about it, it is not well understood and more importantly, services for those with ASD are woefully inadequate. It sounds like you at least have a decent doctor.

I think there are some online forums and groups that might be of support. If you have an intellectual capacity that is above a 70 IQ (not the best measure but one of the few available), then really, it would be nice if there were other options. I'm working towards trying to develop such solutions. I think they are sorely needed.

Keep faith in yourself. Namaste!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 10:50AM

Congratulation on your new place mindlight. I hope things keep getting better for you.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 10:52AM

Mindlight I'm glad you were able to get yourself out of a possibly dangerous situation. I hope you enjoy the new place.

Posted by: flyindoc ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 09:30PM

Ana,

You give such significant insight to members of this forum. You were one of the first that reached out to me, and I always note you are quick to reach out to other members. If thought is energy, and words are matter, may our meditations and prayer be with you.

E

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 07:14AM

Drink 2 cups of Italian coffee while watching morning news programs. Breakfast then walk by the sea, along the many bays on this island. Lunch and discussions with friends. Another walk, eat ice cream overlooking the marina, then have a game of tennis. Celebration in the evening with a bottle of champagne. Fun all evening/night long.

All with someone who loves me unconditionally.

I am so glad I died and came to heaven.

Date: November 10, 2012 08:32AM

I'm glad for you too!

Date: November 10, 2012 09:54AM

Most days, cup of my fav tea or coffee and biscotti while reading the paper. Latte if it's a weekend.

Then go to work. Take care of kids' needs during lunch and/or after school. Drive one of them to his part-time job.
Make a nice dinner or get take out if there's more work to do in the evening.After dinner, a small glass of wine along with Colbert Report.

Weekends, different story. Usually all of the above plus skiing, swimming, visiting with friends, reading. Sometimes work to get my business growing. No guilt over missing "church" - it's fantastic!

Date: November 10, 2012 10:02AM

anointed one, that's the best one yet! I am so happy that you found real love in time to have true "golden years!"

Isn't it amazing that we don't know we aren't really loved unconditionally until we step out of line.

Anagrammy

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 10:29AM

My Day (yesterday):

I realized that some nevermos are as stupid as some Mormons. A few of my nevermo friends voted for Mitt because they are rich and wanted to save their money from being taxed. We talked about Mormonism and they asked, "Well, why do they still have polygamy?" I asked, "You mean you voted for a guy who you thought was involved with polygamy and didn't care?" Silence.

I had fun going out with friends to dinner after a scary incident occurred. We arrived at the restaurant, one of my friends had to immediately go to the bathroom and a minute later the fire department showed up. The management directed them into the bathrooms while my other friend and I wondered, "Is that because our friend is in there?" Turns out, another person had passed out and hit their head on the washbasin. Our friend witnessed the aftermath of the accident and told us about it when she came out. The margarita at dinner helped immensely. Good times (after the incident) with good friends.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 11:06AM

Thank you Fidget! Didn't mean to hijack Ana's thread ... lol

and Exmosis - It has been a journey fraught with misdiagnosis, drug and alcohol abuse and periods of great accomplishments. I am 59 and they had no idea what was up with me when I was young. I was a Jr Quality Assurance Engineer and a QA Manager at another job. That was in the 70s and 80s. Long time ago. Oh I did teach A plus tech class as TA at a Jr College about 9 years ago. Great fun.

I have found limited support for adult Aspies ... we sunk, swam or disappeared. Learned to cope in a world not of our understanding or didn't.

Wrong Planet is a good website for support. Very good for younger people and parents.

Thxs for the thoughts

Namaste

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 12:34AM

I get up, get dressed, check my emails, read the obits and then head for coffee with my pals in Lethbridge. then I'll come home and do some work in the garage and then after lunch head back in to town for the mail and afternoon coffee.....with much swearing and telling rude stories, etc.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 01:04AM

9:00 PM- Bedtime
10:00 PM Why am I awake?
11:37 PM: Damn, it's early to be this awake
2:37 AM: Yes! I got more than 2 hours sleep uninterrupted!
3:37 AM: Goddamnit, I gotta be up soon
4:30 AM Time to wake up, drink lots of coffee, direct charges to get ready
The rest of my day consists of doing what I need/want/love/have the energy/to do.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 02:52AM

I had a dentist event yesterday.

Thank gawd it went better than your son's did!

I had a standard cleaning already scheduled for Friday, and on Wednesday a portion of an old filling came out, so I just waited till the apt. Turns out I need a crown, but insurance won't pay for it until March, so my wonderful dentist filled it until crown time and didn't charge me for it.

My friends always say that I live a charmed life.

Sometimes I agree. Shiz can happen, but it always works out!

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:33AM

Hubby and I enjoyed a great breakfast out this morning. Then we walked around a lovely bay area marina and enjoyed a sunny, cool fall morning together. I read the newspaper and part of a book with gorgeous prose. I met up with my brother in a city south of the bay area and enjoyed a 4 mile walk with him around a beautiful lake. We chatted and caught up and then he treated me to a healthy lunch. We hugged each other good bye and I headed to two of my favorite small stores for specialty food items and teas that I love. Beautiful drive home at sunset. One of my friends came over for dinner and we enjoyed a good meal together and lots of laughter. Then we went to see the very interesting and spell binding movie, Argo. Next, the yogurt shop for a bit of cold stuff, more loud laughter and good times. That's my Saturday. Rarely does church even enter my mind on my sleepy Sundays. Peace!

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 08:13AM

Wake up far too early.
Coffee.
Workout.
More coffee.
Shag, shit, shower, shave.
Ride to work way to fast.
Avoid falling off bike.
Avoid getting caught by cops.
Work far too hard.
Coffee.
More coffee.
More work.Lots more work.
Ride home far too fast.
Get stopped by cops this time.
Sweet talk my way out of a ticket.
Home.
Bottle of red opened, check out RfM...
"Hi everyone"
Now can't get to sleep..........

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.