Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:03PM

My friend and wife were denied a temple reccomend because they keep coffee in their house for their friends when they drop by. Very normal. According to their Bishop they need to avoid the very appearance of evil. I told them i thought the mormon mall had alcohol available for consumption and sale I am not sure of this , as i do not live in Utah and have never been to the mormon mall. Can someone enlighten me? They told me if this is true, that alcohol is available on church owned property, that they and their family are done with the church. This is the proverbial straw for the camel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shadowspade ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:06PM

I have indeed had a beer at the Cheescake Factory in the mall. It's just like the church, they are happy to make money of alcohol or coffee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2012 03:06PM by shadowspade.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:09PM

'APPEARANCE OF EVIL'
1) Bps are supposed to Stick the the approves/authorized TRIQs
2) Who else does Bp SlipJack want them to impose the WoW on?

the people who Never heard of Mormoism down the street, across town?

Typical Mormon Mentality, that.

Posted by: ironmann ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:17PM

Avoid the appearance of evil...what a bunch of crap! I use to live that way until I figured out for myself that this is a church of do what I say not as I do.

My wife and I went to the church-owned Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii 6 months ago and at the luau/dinner they served fully caffinated coffee and tea!

What crap!

Posted by: kyle ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:36PM

So.. having Coffee is the Appearance of Evil. Oh brother. What a petty little organization.. where coffee is "Evil". It understand it's against their little health code...and even though that in and of itself is silly.. it's use is far far from Evil.

They are just like smooth politicians the way they twist concepts around. I could understand avoiding the appearance of evil if it meant you shouldn't be seen hanging around known terrorists... now that's the appearance of evil.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:44PM

The Cheescake Factory has a full bar. I ate there twice two weeks ago while visiting. The WOW does not say you can't stock those items. Only that you can't ingest them. BTW, my mom has to drink a little bit of coffee. It helps her with some medical problems. Her bishop says its OK. Some bishops are just Ass'es with power. Someone higher up really needs to monitor these guys to make sure they all teach the same gospel.

Posted by: monomo27 ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:48PM

Not only do they have it but there are a limited number of liquor licenses in the state and cheesecake factory managed to get one before many other restaurants that had been trying for a long time to get one.

Posted by: shadowspade ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 03:55PM

Of course they did. Not a surprise at all, what the church wants in this state, the church gets.

Date: November 11, 2012 04:05PM

Do the churches who give out wine have to have a liquor license?
What's to keep a church from becoming a club? God is a DJ and the holy sacrament is all things over 10% proof. To repent you must drink and dance. If you still feel like a sinner you must repeat the process until your bowels are purged of all that is evil.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 04:22PM

I think the liquor license has to do with sales. I don't need a license to serve my dinner party guests wine. Restaurants don't need licenses to uncork bottles that restaurant patrons bring with them. It's about the sale. The church is literally making money off the sale of alcohol, because if they own the mall, they are taking a percent of their lease-holder's gross (or maybe it's net, it's been a while since I was in retail).

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 06:30PM

I don't think churches that use wine in communion need a license because they are not selling it.

I help a local church when it is their turn for food kitchen, they did need a health inspection for their kitchen prior to serving food to non-members.

Dunno where the dividing line is.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 04:17PM

Reading this thread tells me that alcohol and coffee are only okay when paired with cronyism.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 04:24PM

As a boy it often puzzled me as to why Mormon grocery owners (Independents, not chains were very prevalent then) stocked beer, cigarettes and coffee. Some of them were pillars of the community, bishops and SP's. This seems very hypocritical compared to simply keeping coffee around the house for guests.

That case was a dipwad bishop interpreting things above and beyond, obviously, but many of them do that. My DW TBM wife has tea stored away in the pantry.. she uses it in some of her plant food or organic insecticide concoctions. I better tell the bishop!!

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 04:26PM

When they started building the mall I told my wife that as soon as the mall opened and they needed liquor licenses for the restaurants in the mall the church would change their stance on alcohol. Sure enough, about a year before the mall opened the Utah legislature was suddenly interested in fixing the shortage of liquor licenses and the LDS church didn't oppose it like it had every other time. There is no doubt in my mind that the sudden change of heart by the church was tied to the mall, especially after numerous restaurant chains stated that they would not open any new restaurants in Utah unless they could secure liquor licenses.

Check out this quote from this article:

Among the stakeholders is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which is a key influence on policy in the state-controlled liquor monopoly. Valentine said midlevel employees of the LDS Church, which urges its members to eschew alcohol, have given some early, positive comments on the proposed changes.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/50524965-79/licenses-utah-liquor-population.html.csp

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/52455952-79/liquor-creek-alcohol-bottles.html.csp

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/blog-2-6224-cheesed-off-over-lir-licenses.html

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 05:27PM

I saw this in the comments section...
-----------------

LOL! I was a custodian for the Morg. One day I was a paid custodian, the next I was laid off and, get this, I was told to remember the Lord and to receive further blessings, to continue paying my tithing on any unemployment cheques. Needless to say I didn't. And I never darkened the doorway of any chapel since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2012 05:28PM by schmendrick.

Date: November 11, 2012 04:28PM

Good point rationalguy. I have offten heard that coffee in the garden makes a good pesticide.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 05:07PM

Anagrammy asked the clerk at the Teavana store why they would be handing out samples of tea in a "Mormon" saturated mall...her response: it was herbal.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 06:21PM

My very Mormon friends always had instant coffee (ugh) available for friends who might like a cup.

Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 06:32PM

that bishop is a power crazed dick. they should ask why the church institution doesnt avoid even the very apprearance of evil since achohol is sold at their mall.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 06:33PM

No Doubt that some of the apols/'Defenders of the Faith' will say/blame it on others, Claim that the church has NO CONTROL over the vendors....

That's the Kewl Part of involving third-parties, isn't it?

Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 06:39PM

they have 100% control, if they didnt build a mall then achohol couldnt be sold on their property or if they didnt lease space to business that serve achohol, then achohol wouldnt be sold there.

mormons are so full of sh!t when they do something that so obviously contridicts their own beliefs then try to explain it away!

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 06:38PM

coffee in the cupboard = appearance of EVIL?!?!

insane cult

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 11, 2012 11:36PM

You know what I always say (unless you are very new to this board): Judging others on appearances IS evil. Why should I adjust my behavior to cater to the opinions evil people?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.