Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 12:52PM

I would be really interested to hear from those of you who have this, if you were able to get your insulin under control without medications, and how.

A couple of years ago I was borderline, but I think it has gone over the border. For the past 3 weeks, my feet have felt like they are trying to wake up. I do NOT want to go to the dr for a couple of reasons. 1. I don't want it official on my insurance so that it doesn't go through the roof, and 2. when I was borderline, they said lose weight, but would not help with any kind of dietician for nutritionist or anything like that. It was pretty much "figure it out for yourself." I have Kaiser.

So for any of you out there that have dealt with this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 01:00PM

(I don't have diabetes.)

Anyway, one of my friends (Sophie Hirschfeld) KNEW she had diabetes and she's used diet and exercise to keep it under control. Look her up on Facebook -- I know she'll give you good advice.

Another of my friends was on two sorts of insulin injections -- during the day shots and one long acting one at night. She lost 120 pounds (just by quitting most of her sweets and by cutting back on her food intake) and now she's not using either. She's also no longer in a wheelchair and feels much better about herself, although she's still trying to lose weight.

You NEED to get a glucose monitor and use it, though. You want to keep records of your blood sugar regularly. My friend Sophie sees her doctor for regular followups and part of that is bringing in a week's worth of blood sugar checks (three or four times a day at least).

Let me know if I can help more. Also, look up the glycemic index diet on the web -- it's supposed to be good for diabetics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 01:01PM by Rebeckah.

Date: November 14, 2012 01:10PM

Date: November 14, 2012 05:00PM

She also has a blog "SheThoughts" and she is a huge advocate for sex workers' rights. She's also dealing with diabetes and has a lot of nutritional training. And she loves to help folks help themselves. :)

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 01:08PM

It's the diagnosis that will get your insurance to pay for treatment, education, prescriptions, etc. You'll need an A1C test done, but before then you can always test yourself. Glucose meters are actually cheap, even without a prescription. You can get free ones through several companies online, but that would require a prescription. Freestyle Lite offers free meters and $15/mo test strips w/insurance.

I'd suggest buying a meter and testing yourself, fasting -- first thing in the morning. If it's consistently over 120, you really need to get diagnosed and get treatment.

Do you have individual insurance or something? My insurance paid for education with zero copay, and I got a free meter and cheap test strips. Since I'm on my employer's group plan, my rates do not go up.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 01:09PM

Definitely advisable to get a glucose monitor. Does NOT hurt at all. You can get them at Walmart in the meds area. Definitely advisable that if you don't want to go in for it, you should exercise, and lose weight. If you are not going to do either, then at least eat things that won't effect your blood sugar so much. Protien, vegetables, fruits in moderation (not several at once), but moderated throughout the day. You should aim for a blood glucose reading 120 or below. If you're getting above that, especially into the 200s, it's going to be effecting you - like your circulation (feet), eye sight, etc.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 01:10PM

Various kinds of exercise have different effects - all good (unless you are totally out of control on your blood sugar).

Aerobic exercise will keep sugars lower for 24 hours. Muscle building exercise will change the way your whole system works with sugar for the long haul. I can drop my numbers dramatically with few trips up the stairs.

Weight loss works, but some of us have a lot to lose before it gets obvious. I once lost 70 pounds, and only on the last 15 did things improve - dramatically. I also lifted weights during that time, and it brought me back to normal.

Metformin is a miracle drug IMHO. No side effects, cheap, effective. Try it before you try anything else. Some docs like to give out the expensive newer ones with side effects.

Pretending you don't have it so you can save money isn't very effective in prolonging your life. Buy yourself a meter at least.

And tell me how to control my weight again, uh oh.

Date: November 14, 2012 01:13PM

I would not mess around with diabetes.
Better your insurance rates go up than to go without proper treatment and end up blind, losing a kidney, or losing a limb.

Date: November 14, 2012 05:02PM

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 03:11PM

Metformin ER (extended release) has far fewer side effects than regular metformin and is just as cheap. The main side effects of regular metformin are gastrointestinal in nature. Some don't have them, but for others, they are terrible.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 01:18PM

I was on Metformin while changing my diet and getting more exercise. I got to the point of not needing the medication anymore. But I got lazy again and had to go back on pills.

The diet part isn't that complicated. Basically, cut way down on carbohydrates and, of course, sugars. (Sugars are carbohydrates.) There are plenty of books out there about diabetic diets. The American Diabetes Association site also has information.

You can get a glucose meter and test strips without a prescription, so it doesn't show up on your insurance. You can get test strips a lot cheaper online. You need to monitor your glucose so you know what's happening as you change your habits.

If your feet are numb and tingly, that's a different story -- peripheral neuropathy. It's often caused by diabetes, but, unfortunately, controlling diabetes doesn't make the neuropathy go away. So far, there's no cure, just drugs to lessen the pain. Those require a prescription, though.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 01:29PM

<<sigh>> all i can say is this:
I was told in 2000 that i was "pre-diabetic" and my doctor really didnt explain what that was or what i should do...I lost my insurance shortly thereafter...so i never went back to him...or any doctor for that matter for 7 years...oh boy...I now have type 2 and i need insulin and and glyburide to control the glucose levels in my blood...girlfriend...you are showing signs of peripheral neuropathy...i know it well. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DELAY IN GETTING THIS TREATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your feet start out feeling weird like they are wet...at least mine did...eventually you will have numbness...then PAIN!! excruciating pain...WAVES OF PAIN!! I now take gabapentin to help out the problem...excess blood sugar in your system destroys the capillaries in your organs...main cause of blindness in US...DIABETES...KIDNEY FAILURE...DIABETES...
Diabetics have twice the likelihood of having heart disease and strokes...OMG get it treated...if you have individual Ins...I dont know what they can do to your rates...if a group plan...nothing will happen...and now with the Affordable Care Act...they cant penalize you for preexisting conditions...I have what is know as PCIP...and it is reasonable...DO NOT FREAKIN FRACKIN DELAY ACTION ON THIS...
message me on FB if you want to talk more...
I can say that... diet and exercise and medicine are the ONLY ways to control blood sugar...FB me will ya?

Date: November 14, 2012 01:34PM

Date: November 14, 2012 01:30PM

I have group insurance right now, so for now, it wouldn't be a problem. I'm worried about what happens in the future if for some reason I lose my job and have to pay completely out of pocket. I've had to do that before, and it was really ugly. I can't imagine how much it would be if I had that on my record too.

I've been cutting down on my calories, and cutting out all simple carbs. It is especially difficult because DH does all the cooking now that he is retired. But, I was proud of myself that I didn't have a piece of that cheese cake that he brought home two days ago. And, yes, he does know.

Am I worrying about the insurance thing too much?

I'm going to go get a meter and strips today. Target has them pretty cheap.

So, SM, even if I can get my BG down below diabetic levels, it won't help the feet tingly? Once, it's there I'm screwed?

Date: November 14, 2012 01:40PM

Once, it's there I'm screwed?

not necessarily...for me yes...for you who knows...FIRST you have to get the Bg down...then you will know...for me it wont...
yeas you are worried to much on the Ins...read my above post...you can no longer be denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions...I am living proof...when I went on C.O.B.R.A.... they wanted almost $1,000/month...so i went without Ins for over 6 months...I worked out something with my doctor when i needed to see him...and know i have PCIP...

the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS GET IT TREATED...:)

JUST CONCERNED!

Date: November 14, 2012 01:55PM

I know they can't deny you for preexisting, but they can still charge you exhorbitant rates, right?

Date: November 14, 2012 02:10PM

You have to go 6 months uninsured, but after that it sounds like a good thing!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 02:05PM

I was insured back when my diabetes was diagnosed. It turned out my particular policy covered almost nothing. I paid thousands out of pocket. Fortunately, I was able to pay at the time. That insurer cancelled me because I had the nerve to actually use my insuance.

I found another insurer who would cover my pre-existing condition, but after paying premiums for a year and a half, they discovered, oops, they weren't licensed in my state. Sorry.

I did the math and figured my current expenses -- a doctor visit twice a year ($300x2), lab tests once a year ($500), test strips ($125/mo) and drugs ($87/mo), were far less than what I'd pay in premiums ($5,400/yr).

Thanks to Obamacare, I can go looking for insurance again.

Date: November 14, 2012 02:10PM

type PCIP into your computor!! it will direct you to a web site and you pick you state...easy peasy! I have coverage at $363/month and i have a rate which covers prescriptions and the doctors visits...ALL preventive costs are covered...you need this Insurance as diabetics are prone to heart disease and stroke...twice the rate of non diabetics!

get your Ins Stray...
I would also contact your state Ins commision and make a complaint...you should get ALL your premiums back!!

just sayin!

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 03:23PM

Exactly - anybody that wants to rant about Obama should be happy if they have pre-existing conditions because his health overhaul is helping them out - period. Women too.

Date: November 14, 2012 02:00PM

They should get back to me sometime today.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 02:10PM by Heidi GWOTR.

Date: November 14, 2012 02:01PM

No baddy...PCIP is:
Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan
It is part of the ACA passed in 2010...my rate for my age...which i started while i was 54 is $363...it could be lower but I went with a plan where I had less out of pocket...it could even be cheaper...I just knew i would be seeing the doctor fairly often...so no..it is not expensive...now when i get to the next level...next year...it will go up to $505...buit i may change the plan to where I am back to less than $400...aint that bad compared to what i was goinfg to pay after my C.O.B.R.A. RAN OUT...$1,000/MONTH!!

just pciping it!

Date: November 14, 2012 02:12PM

I see - I googled.

You have to go 6 months uninsured, but after that it sounds like a good thing!

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 02:54PM

Don't mess around with this. But until you can get to see a real doctor, and then for the rest of your life, this webpage will be your friend:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

It isn't fully complete, but it is very useful. You can search on food and it will give it's glycemic index. My rule of thumb is if it is below 40 I can eat it all I want. 55 or below, maybe once a month. Below 75, maybe once a year. Above that, never. But you need to figure this out for your own body as everybody is different.

Also, the website is out of Australia, so it will have some things (particularly brands) that are unavalable in the US, and won't list some things that are.

Date: November 14, 2012 03:12PM

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 04:35PM

GI.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 03:03PM

When you talk to them make SURE you get signed up for the classes Kaiser gives. Yes, it will be a PIA but it is worth it. It is not just a matter of cutting out carbs and watching calories. It is a balance and timing. For instance, one of the most important things you can do is your protien/carb bedtime snack. Adding flax seed can help. Whole grain is your friend. I think the lessons were six four hour classes and they were worth it!!!!! Also, subscribe to a magazine like this one -
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/ They have lots of tips and new information.

Posted by: prefan84 ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 03:05PM

Heidi GWOTR,

Get a glucose monitor! Rebeckah is right on. A close relative of mine was diagnosed earlier this year and checks his levels twice a day. If you can keep a food journal, you will learn exactly which foods spike your levels the most. Track your glucose and make sure it is in a healthy range.

Type II Diabetics generally need to eat something similar to the Zone Diet. A ratio of 2 grams of carbohydrates to every gram of protein. Complex carbs are preferable to simple carbs. Zone Bars are a great snack for controlling your blood sugar spikes. Going on walks is great for lowering your levels and any strength training is great too.

Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 03:15PM by prefan84.

Date: November 14, 2012 03:55PM

Within 3 months I have lowered my fasting blood glucose and A1C into normal range.
What I have done to achieve this:
- Take metformin daily (It took a month for it to really start working for me.)
- Walk at least 30 minutes or 3,000 steps every day
- Follow a meal plan I got from the diabetes educator:
The main feature of this is pretty simple: counting carbs. I eat 35-45 grams of carbohydrates at each of the three main meals, and 15 grams of carbohydrates at each between-meal snack. I try to choose heart-healthy fats and proteins also, and plenty of fiber. Drink plenty of water. You must have carbs at each meal. A low-carb diet will actually cause your liver to produce more glucose in the bloodstream.
- In the process I have lost about 15 lbs.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 04:02PM

Feet and eyes are particularly vulnerable to high levels of blood glucose. You have heard of people having their feet amputated, right? Do you want to join that group? Type II can usually be controlled with non-insulin medication. For crying out loud, get expert medical advice. Diabetes can affect many aspects of your health. F*^k the money for right now.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 04:15PM

Threatened with insulin injections for the rest of my life ..NO WAY !!!

First --- I lost 60 pounds by analyizing the food I ate in a day and divided them into two groups --Food that was good for me and food that was was bad for me ...

Second --- Created a diet sheet (Creative eating sheet) out of the food I LIKED.. 1200 -1600 calories per day ..

Third --- Exercise steadily over two months until my body was used to it.

**SPECTULAR RESULTS**
A1C 6.7
Choelesteral 50
Blood pressure 130/80

Anyone can heal themselves of type 2 diabetes if they can CONTROL what they eat and what they do with their body..

JB

Date: November 14, 2012 04:24PM

A1C of 6.7 would have been considered officially diabetic for me.
Mine's at 5.5 now.
Once you have diabetes mellitus, you have it forever. You can get it under control, but you will always have the disease.

And FYI, not everyone with type II can control it with diet and exercise. Some people have to go on insulin and check their bg many times a day to keep it in check. Everyone is different. It's a disease, not an exercise in will power.

Date: November 14, 2012 05:07PM

It's great when diet and exercise work to control an issue this serious but pretending diet and willpower are all that are necessary is harmful to those it doesn't work for.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 04:25PM

Get this book:

Eat to Live by Dr. Furhman

It's on Amazon and about 5 bucks. He tells you how to eat to overcome diabetes and be healthy. Mainly it's to eat lots of fruit (not juice) and veggies and no meat or dairy or sweets or processed foods. It's actually a good way to lose weight also, and you never feel deprived cause you can eat as much healthy food as you want and still lose. He also says you can eat 10% of your diet of bad stuff and still be fine with this method of eating. It's not really a diet, just a change in foods eaten.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 04:49PM

My grandpa had type 2 diabetes and managed to keep it controlled for many years through diet and exercise. He also lost weight which really helped, and his exercise was basically walking around the neighborhood, something he did almost to the end. In the end, though he was worried about having his foot amputated because of an ulcer, but he ended up dying after several heart attacks. He did keep most of his sight, other than needing glasses for distance, but that's something my entire family has and it's not caused by diabetes.

The reason he lived to his 80's was because he took care of himself, and kept checking his blood sugar levels. He never became insulin dependent, and it was only in the last few months of his life that he developed that foot ulcer which was successfully treated with surgery that allowed him to keep his limb. As I mentioned, it was heart disease that might have been caused by the diabetes, but his dad also died of a heart attack, and from what I know, my great grandpa didn't have diabetes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 04:49PM by adoylelb.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.