Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stiff skid ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 02:25AM

I got a mind to no show thanksgiving dinner. I'll show up late for leftovers. I'm the child of 4 left unmarried. Prospects and reasoning not great at my age. Feels like I got a heavy load and I know Mormonism has harmed me even though I don't participate. Don't wanna ask for help. Just don't wanna raise my daily hell level by praying to brigham young for my turkey. Don't wanna hear church talk from my sibling's kids. Just don't wanna be there. It's like a war for me that can never be won. Suicide won't help anyone. Just gonna show very late.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Alice ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 02:42AM

You feel the way you do for a lot of very good reasons. Keep in perspective, that Mormons are only .02% of America, and they are an insane little cult. Don't give them so much power over you.

Would you really consider suicide just to avoid Thanksgiving dinner? Something is seriously wrong here.

You have probably lived your whole TBM life, doing things you do not want to do, so I think you don't owe your family any more of that. Go, only if you want to go, to be nice. Go for the food, and take some leftovers home with you. Or, don't go.

Whatever you decide to do, do something else right after, that you love to do. Think about it and look forward to it, when you are with your family. Text someone about it, put a reminder in your phone, and have it ring when it is time for you to leave the dinner. Reward yourself for getting through. AT least they don't make you do all the cooking and cleanup. That can trap you in the kitchen for hours. I wear headphones, even when there isn't a game playing.

Posted by: DanUK29 ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 06:03PM

Alice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You feel the way you do for a lot of very good
> reasons. Keep in perspective, that Mormons are
> only .02% of America, and they are an insane
> little cult.

I thought they were 2% of America and the fastest growing religion in the world?

I'm not a Mormon or an ex-Mormon, so please excuse my ignorance.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 06:22PM

2% of US population. 0.2% of world's population.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 03:36AM

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 05:14PM

How about doing a movie before or after the Chinese?

Posted by: Old Poster ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 05:25AM

him with a store-bought baked pie as his contribution to the dinner. Problem solved there.

I plan on ordering Chinese take out for my personal Thanksgiving dinner which I am already looking forward to.

The options were five hours with his family or Chinese food. I believe I have selected the best option.

Dealing with family sh*t will get better over time.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 05:15PM

See my response above about movie to go with Chinese. Sorry.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 08:15AM

You could tell them you have other plans. Then make some plans of your own. Have your own little party or do something special with the day.

Or tell them you'll come for pie after your important date and find a date so you won't be lying. Serving dinners to the poor might make you feel better. There are many churches and community organizations cooking and serving Thankgiving meals. They often need willing hands.

I used to teach school in a neighborhood when many families ate their Thanksgiving and dinners for free. They appreciated the generosity of those who organized and provided what they could not provide for their children and for older or homeless people in the neighborhood.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 08:47AM

Don't go. Just go take in a movie you want to see, or find some like minded friends and hang out, have your own un-Thanksgiving. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: burned ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 09:07AM

to 'stiff kid' , you must be the family "scapegoat". the person they blame for everything that goes wrong in their life. can't blame you for not wanting to be there on turkey day, maybe you don't have a choice about being there.... I'm the one quietly enjoying the jokes that the family "black sheep" puts out, Sometimes the most humane people at these get-togethers like turky day, aare the ones that the most of the group hates. Cause while they work togeether "like a team" and everyone seems to agree (Big Lie), I think to myself: "wide is the gate and Many are they that fall...." it goes something like that, I also have to resist the urge to say "a****les" at the end of the sentence. going to thankgiving and drinking goes together for many Americans on this Dysfunctional Family Holiday...

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 09:27AM

If you are a resident of Colorado or Washington, and over the age of 21, a bong hit may be in order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2012 09:27AM by ladell.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 09:40AM

I just loved reading this line. Thxs

Your decision is sound to me. We are just conditioned to feel guilty about it. Some more than others.

I will go where I am wanted. Just as me.
I simply can't tolerate the "family" being nice to my face while I know the tide is a strong undertow area.

My own company is far preferable and sets better with me

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 09:50AM

ladell's comment got me thinking

I use to get drunk each holiday to some degree. It gave me something familiar to look forward to as I playacted my role. It worked for many years. Or I used some medication to help me "get thru" the day. I have a variety of mood altering legal methods. After many years I have learned, just for me, the price is too high to pay. lol, there's a pun in there

Hopefully I won't need tweaking of any sort to enjoy TD this year :)

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 10:15AM

I stopped attending "family" holidays A LONG time ago to save myself from the boredom, craziness and silliness that accompanied each and every one of them.

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 10:38AM

That sounds like a horrible Thanksgiving. You don't have to go. Like some other posters suggested, make other plans for yourself and tell your family you're not coming. Maybe donate food and time to provide Thanksgiving to others. Or go out to a fancy restaurant and let someone else wait on you. Or go out to a movie. Or stay home in sweats and watch a marathon of your favorite movies or tv shows. Read a book. Play video games all day long. Turn your phone off.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 10:56AM

All excellent ideas!

I even left the country one year. LOL!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.