Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: runner ( )
Date: January 05, 2011 10:54AM

I knew this day would come. My husband's family lives far enough away from us, that they really haven't been aware of our non-church going status for the past 2 years.

Husband's little sister is getting married in the temple in 3 weeks. Upon my request I talked my husband into telling his sister we wouldn't be in the Temple. I didn't want to drop this information on her wedding day. So a couple of months go by, and I'm thinking that no one else knows. I assumed it would spread like wild fire. Nope, little sister actually kept her mouth shut. It's good to know that she can keep a secret.

Anyway, I kept telling my husband that he better say something to his mother before hand or she is going to make a big deal out of it on sister's wedding day. Of course he doesn't want to. Who can blame him right? So, little sister calls last night to let hubby know that he better tell their mother before this weekend. Apparently mom is going on vacation and sister wants it out of her system by the wedding. lol They know their mother so well.

My husband is planning on sending her an email to let her know that we won't be attending the temple. We thought of just showing up and saying we forgot our recommends, but know better. Mother would have us on the phone to the stake President before we could blink.

The one thing that keeps popping into my head, is why do we have make an announcement to everyone? We aren't the ones deciding to get married in a place that doesn't allow anyone who doesn't believe the same. They are the ones that belong to an organization that won't let us in. But we are the ones who have to explain ourselves. Sigh

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 05, 2011 11:00AM

When DH and I got married, we went to the temple at 9:00 a.m. and our reception wasn't until that night at 7:00 p.m. Anyone who wanted to ditch the wedding could have said that, because of work, travel, whatever, there was no way they'd get into town until about 2:00 p.m. and say "Sorry we'll miss the temple thing but at least we will be able to be there for the reception." Living far away as you say you do, could you pull that off? It sounds like your MIL is a bit of a bossy boots who doesn't take no for an answer, like my mom. But it's worth a thought. There is a line between putting your foot down and getting involved in a pointless conversation with a fanatic. I always try to avoid the latter.

Posted by: runner ( )
Date: January 05, 2011 02:09PM

We have thought about showing up just for the reception. We did that when our niece was married last year. There is a little more expected of us, since this is my husband's sister. Maybe you're right. We could tell my husband's sister that we will not be there until the reception. I know that she wants us in the pictures outside the temple.

We live 6 hours away and she is getting married on a Saturday. Either way, we better tell MIL ahead of time of our plans or there will be drama the day of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 02:10PM by back2basic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.