Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 01:31PM

The weird names post was both interesting and sad.

To me it says that parents who saddle their child with an off-the-wall name are thinking of nothing but themselves. It is extreme narcissism on their part and who would want parents like that?

These parents might think that they are being original and imaginative but to me it says the complete opposite.

Chris Jansing yesterday morning on MSNBC said that she loves the constitution and its amendments, but she wishes that there would be a constitutional amendment that would prevent parents from giving their children names that will subject them to derision by others as the child grows up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 01:41PM

That's how I see it, too. You can call your kid "hashtag" at home, but why make it their legal name?

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 02:23PM

Are you by any chance referring to HashTagg Romney?

There is a fine line called "the edge of the cliff" that many wit-wannabee parents walk with naming their kids. Most of them trip and fall over the edge.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 02:32PM

from the standpoint of weirdness. The main problem I see is it's not easy to say and doesn't sound good. Then there's the mystery of gender, and people who don't recognize the term will assume it's some kind of exotic foreign name. She'll be called "Hoshtog" all the time.

Oh, and can't you just hear her on the phone, attempting to communicate what her name is? Never mind how to spell it. OMG, don't get me started.

No one should have to waste that much time and energy on their name.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 02:43PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: shadowspade ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 04:34PM

Lewis Black has a great bit about odd names (swears for the weak eared)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1mOFzv02lk

Date: November 29, 2012 04:41PM

ROTFLMFAO!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 05:15PM

In a Art marketing class the instructor told the women to not sign their first name on the front of their paintings.

It's a proven fact that people will buy more of your art if they think you're male.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 05:35PM

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 05:40PM

as a male, i have no problem with people of the other gender...

as long as they don't flaunt it.

Date: November 29, 2012 04:53PM

They are not laws. They are kind of the opposite.

Date: November 29, 2012 05:04PM

I will admit that Bristol isn't all that bad-sounding of a name but if it is true that Mrs. Palin says her daughter is named after a hotel of the same name where she was conceived, that is narcissistic. "Hey everyone, Bristol Hotel is where Todd and I fucked."

What? Daughter Willow was conceived beneath or up in a willow tree? Kinky.

I believe that Mr. and Mrs. Palin fell off the cliff (to steal a line from our one and only xyz), only it was from the hotel window. Same thing.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:00PM

Makes you wonder about her last kid, Trig. Conceived in math class?

Date: November 29, 2012 09:05PM

She's waaaaay too stupid for a trigonometry class.

Trig is prolly short for "Trigger": what she squoze to shoot at moose from an airplane.

Posted by: anoon4this ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 05:08PM

Not being able to determine a person's gender from their name is a plus, in my experience.

After I had been an adult for a substantial period of time, I changed my name legally, and on the (years long) way to this legal change, I "tried out" a number of variations of the name I felt that actually belonged to ME. (In other words, not according to my parents EXPECTATION of who I OUGHT to be, and who they WISHED I SHOULD be, as a still-not-born, and then extremely newborn, baby--before they even knew who I, as a person, was.)

One of the names I "tried out" (which I eventually made by own through judicial process) was ambiguous as to gender.

Much of my work is done through the mail, and it was interesting that when I received mail addressed to "MR. [first name]," it was invariably MORE positive and receptive and respectful than mail I received which was addressed to "Miss/Mrs./Ms." [first name]. In addition, in response to my initial queries on any particular project, the response rate to those who chose to believe I was male was substantially higher. The ratio of the number of responses to "Mr. [first name] was about 80% to 20% when compared to the number of responses I received addresssed to "Ms./Mrs./Miss" [first name].

In summary: there was a HUGE difference between response numbers and the attitude of the responders to those who assumed I was male vs. those who assumed I was female.

I am female.

I went with the gender-ambiguous first name, and it has now legally mine.

Gender (or the ability to be gender ambiguous) COUNTS, and it is a POSTIVE.

Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 05:10PM

Date: November 29, 2012 05:37PM

Date: November 29, 2012 05:33PM

If naming kids where they were conceived, shouldn't there be lots of Marriotts, Hiltons, Holiday Inns or Holiday Inns Express, not to mention Motel 6's and 8's entering first grade about now?

Date: November 29, 2012 06:18PM

Don't forget all those kids named Bronco, Focus, Corolla, Ranger, Escalade, CX5, Escape, Sentra, RX330, Spark, Veloster, C-Max, Prius, Scion, ...

Date: November 29, 2012 06:46PM

I actually knew somebody named "Bronco"! The story was that his older brother won a bet and got to name him.
He was named after the Denver Broncos, and even funnier -- he was a blue-eyed redhead.

Date: November 29, 2012 07:14PM

God I hope he's one of the cute redheads and not one of the hoogly ones.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 10:02PM

HEY! All redheads are beautiful, especially the blue-eyed ones. Harrumph.

Date: November 30, 2012 02:57PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 07:03PM

Don't forget Mercedes, Ford, and Beemer.

Then we have Brandy, Bailey's, Skyy, Remy's, Cristal, And I'm sure there are a slew of other alcohol based names.

Date: November 29, 2012 07:13PM

If I did that I'd hafta name the kid one of the following:

Harpoon
Hornito
Mount Gay

Date: November 30, 2012 02:59PM

It's a traditional woman's name and nothing to do with cars.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 03:12PM

I think the car was named after the designers daughter or some such. Too lazy to look it up. I have known several women with that name.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 03:15PM

+1. Mercedes is a gorgeous name. So is Portia.

Now for alcohol based names, I took a claim from someone named "Chablis." On her policy her siblings ,Merlot and Chardonnay, were included.

I'm not making this up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 03:17PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:04PM

Moon Unit

Dweezil

Ahmet Emuukha Rodan

Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 09:18PM by steve benson.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:06PM

Penn Gillette's daughter's middle name is Crimefighter, and Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter is named Apple. At a certain point, it's really child abuse.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:48PM

If Charles Shultz were still alive, there'd be a character in Peanuts named "Hashtag".

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 09:04AM

as the second name to put some beef behind that all-important initial.

My son's second name is Athelstan because I've always liked it Ok, I know ;-) it's weird - and I can tell you that in France, where I live, it's even weirder because NOBODY can pronounce it. But it's hidden behind his first name (Sacha), so nobody knows unless he wants them to.

Oh, and it's his 25th birthday tomorrow :-)

Have a nice weekend, all

Tom in Paris

Date: November 30, 2012 04:27PM

Of course "Athelstan" would confuse the French - there are only 1/4 the usual number of vowels in the vowel:consonant ratio.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.