Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sithlord ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:07PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,720178

This is unbelievable!! What on earth is the Morg going to do now to discredit mormonthink?? I just read FAIRs statement yesterday discrediting mormonthink. How will they attempt to discredit Tom when he is at the helm. Absolutely a brilliant move Tom and mormonthink!!!

The battle for truth just kicked into overdrive!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:10PM

The KKKult keeps making enemies in high places, and soon enough the pushback is gonna start making those SLC big boys have lotsa sleepless nights.

Personally, I can't wait. LOL!

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:16PM

It will be hard to discredit a "god" which Tom has been guaranteed to be.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:21PM

Tom has more credibility that the president of the Mormon church. He's stood up for the truth, and as a result has paid a huge price.

The president of the church hasn't stood up for anything except a mall.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 09:25PM

Congrats to Tom. He's a top-notch person from what I've seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 09:57PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 10:25PM

Congratulations to Tom! I feel so excited that I want to go and tell somebody how cool this us, but then I realized that there's no one I can tell, lol. Very cool!

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 10:57PM

Totally impressed with Tom and his credentials, knowledge, honesty, integrity, etc.! Can now rely even more on Mormon Think as I feel based on podcasts and blogs that I really know him and how he thinks.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 11:52PM

I just read that the last two MT editors resigned from the LDS church (AKA Only Tru Church with 15 profits that seek to decieve and make a great living off of God's Elect(ed) idiots) because of the pressure by the LDS Church mobots by planning church courts. What will they do to Tom? Use their brainwashing or a church court to convert or reinstate him? Just think of all the blessings those that resign face: extra money from not giving it to Pres. Monson to buy hunting reserves, malls, and fund generous pension and benefit plans; losing all the blessings of spending numbing hours at the holy temples dressed like idiots thinking they are "saving the dead" by bowing their heads saying "Yesser"; and having to deal with the feeling you are really "Free" from falsehoods!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 11:02PM

I've been a little lax lately. I think my new years resolution is to pass out 200 cards a month instead of the usual 100.

MormonThink.com

That's all my cards say. I've left them every where I go. DH and I put them on cars at church one sunday. It been a fun project.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: November 29, 2012 11:05PM

Occasionally I contemplate renting a billboard on I-15 in salt lake with that on it...

Posted by: joesmithsleftteste ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:37AM

What if a group of us pitched in for the billboard? If a enough of us pitched in $20, we could make it happen. I'd even make the 8 hour drive down to have my picture taken in front of it.

Posted by: Anonymousstudent ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:57AM

Not a bad idea, but I think before mormonthink.com goes for more evangelism, they need to do a serious redesign of their site. Tom, I know you're not asking for advice, but here you go: if you want mormonthink to influence people, it's got to look professional. Right now it looks like a half-assed web project by a junior high student.

I don't say this to criticize anybody's work, and I've benefited tremendously from the site personally, but I can't refer friends to the site without being embarrassed at its shabby design. If you've seen the "i am an ex mormon" site (www.iamanexmormon.com), they've got a good thing going on; it's clean, it's high-quality, and you could even mistake it for a church site if you didn't look too closely.

While there is great information on mormonthink, it could be SO MUCH MORE if somebody hired a professional web designer to do a serious overhaul.

Sorry for the rant, guys :/

Congrats Tom on the position! You'll do great.

Posted by: joesmithsleftteste ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 01:49AM

I disagree. I found it to be easy to navigate and simple to understand. Too nice would have communicated to me that there was money involved and I don't trust people who preach things where there seems to be some sort financial incentive.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 07:21AM

There can be a fine line between "professional website" and "polished propaganda." Frankly I get red flags from any website claiming to teach something if it falls on either of the extremes: 2000 geocities page or mormon.org.

On the other hand, if Mormons are the target, they may lap that s**t right up.

Posted by: Finally Free ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 04:39PM

There's such a thing as

a) simple, but professional meaning well written.

Vs

b) well written and fancy with lots of bells and whistles.

We don't need b.. but a would be nice.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 06:54AM

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Occasionally I contemplate renting a billboard on
> I-15 in salt lake with that on it...

The MT board is considering doing just that. It will take a lot of funding. We haven't engaged in any serious campaigning for funds, lest we be accused of being moneygrubbers. But we would like to get the word out too.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 07:01AM

MT doesn't have zillions of drones to donate 10% of their income so they can play dress-up in the temple.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 02:33AM

Look how basic this site is. There is something satisfying about simple and easy to use.

How many people have taken a good thing and upgraded it with every whistle and bell. We don't need dancing avatars or a "professional" approach-- we aren't trying to impress anyone with anything but the truth we tell.

ANagrammy

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:51PM

I agree. Too much can lead to confusion which turns people off. Then they don't investigate. Then they pay 10% to the corporation. Then they are miserable.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 03, 2012 09:31PM

You might ask postmormon to fund some billboards that say

MORMONTHINK.com

--get the whole story

They have been very successful with billboard fundraising. Another idea is busbench billboards. I did research when I worked for a nonprofit in Utah and the busbench billboards actually get more reads than freeway billboards and are much cheaper.

Congratulations on your appointment!

Anagrammy

Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 02:38AM

Well RFM is definately not professional looking and it is still quite the hit!

Posted by: arend ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 03:45AM

Congratulations and best wishes Tom (from the UK). I hope you enjoy your new role.

A bit of constructive feedback on your page at the site.
http://mormonthink.com/tomphillips.htm

The section with the Letter to Elder Holland is probably one of the most important elements of the site but currently its very confusing as there is no formatting. It only needs a bit of markup to clarify which parts are the quotes from the talk and which parts are your comments on it. For example it reads:

I want it absolutely clear when I stand before the judgment bar of God that I declared to the world ... that the Book of Mormon is true. In what respects is it true? It is not true according to scientific laws, anthropology, zoology, metallurgy, chemistry, physics, biology, linguistics, history, archaeology etc. Why would you say something that is not true?

p.s. If you would like me to have a stab at formatting it and sending it to you please let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 04:02AM

Yes please arend. Would welcome any input.

Tom

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 05:23AM

I agree with arend that the Holland letter is a really important document and appreciate his/her offer to help clarify the ambiguities of the Holland letter.

It took me some study (which slowed me down) to figure out which were Holland's words and which were Tom's.

I disagree with the poster who suggested that the website needed to be slicker. I think simpler is better.

Date: November 30, 2012 05:24AM

So, question: does the person in charge of MormonThink have to be a nominal Mormon?

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 04:37PM

I want to know this, too. Before asking everyone for support it would be nice to know.....

Date: November 30, 2012 06:38AM

Holland's words are in quotes "....." and mine follow on the RFM posting which has been linked from MT http://exmormon.org/d6/drupal/Reply-from-Elder-Holland-Mormon-Apostle-to-my-letter

But any improvement will be greatly appreciated. Just for info, the original emails were easier to follow because Jeff used a different font and colour to me.

Thanks for your input,
Tom

Date: November 30, 2012 04:08PM

Well, paragraphing would help. Holland in one paragraph. You in the next.

Date: November 30, 2012 03:49AM

Thank you all for your kind comments and support for MormonThink.

Let me also express my admiration for the work of RFM (and PostMo). They are each, in their own way, vital 'weapons' in the battle for truth. MT, RFM and PoMo ( as well as others) are doing excellent work.

Tom

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 07:22AM

And may you be strengthened as you continue the "battle."

Gawdspeed . . .

;o)

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 02:46PM

Regarding the Holland letters, yeah we noticed that last night. We fixed the italics. (By the way that's the way it reads on RFM's archive so they should fix it too).

We also added another section with Tom's responses to Holland - we put Holland's in blue text to make it real easy.

Please email MT if there are other errors or suggestions.

We do the best we can but don't nearly have the resources that others do and we don't like to ask for money. But we are considering some bold moves ahead - like the billboard idea.

Stay tuned.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 02:52PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.