Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:24AM

So, been out of the cult 3 years now. Guess I was dumb enough to think it was all over with. Being in the service industry, I meet all kinds of people from all walks of life. The problem is this...It appears that there are sooo many people that want me to join "their" church, different churches, different religions, evangelical, etc...Its bad enough that my mom bitches at me cause I wont go to Mass. I was raised Catholic, the Morons got me, and quite frankly, I just dont have the energy nor the mental preparation to go thru organised religion again,,,,The subject of Moronism hasnt even come up, nor would I want it to. I have not lost faith in the Lord, I just dont want to do the religion thing again. How do I handle these pushy people while being nice at the same time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:50AM

been there, done that, moved on.

After joining the lds church, I really have no desire to join another church.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:54AM

What's wrong with studying the Bible or whatever holy text you wish, studying religion and spirituality in the way you want to and being "your own church?" I am not religious, but it's always puzzled me why this isn't considered a valid way.

I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that you'd not then be donating money to them. Churches are often all about money.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 01:49AM

You have a very good point there.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 11:26PM

I don't want to read the Bible, or any Bible in any version. I just find it incredibly boring.

Posted by: lamedandy ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 01:25AM

When someone wants to discuss religion or invite you to something to hook you into their church stuff, politely say "No Thank You".

If they push it and ask you why you will not discuss this further with them, simply say, "I do not want to talk about that." And then change the subject - to something neutral- like the a recent Sports Event that comes to mind.

If the does not work, repeat your directive "I really am not going to discuss this any further" and if you can, walk away.

If you cannot walk away, then simply stop talking completely, and maybe take your cell phone out and start creating a bogus text- (just to annoy them with your lack of manners), or take out a pair of mini-headphones & plug them into you cellphone and ears as though you are now listening to music ("lalala" I can't hear you now because I am listening to music)

If they get upset, do not react other than displaying mild confusion.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 01:50AM

Say, "No Thank You. I have no desire to go to church."

Change the subject.

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 01:56AM

"I have church phobia."

Posted by: ElderEx ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 01:00AM

"I'm an atheist."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.