Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: December 03, 2012 02:59PM

I have a friend, non practicing mormon, her in-laws are giving her and her DH food storage for christmas. She seems very excited about this, which, whatever, to each their own, what I found strange about it was that she had to go spend Saturday canning it herself. Is this normal? My TBM MIL has food storage but she just stocks up on whatever canned goods and toilet paper are on sale. I shouldn't be suprised by this, after everything I've read here but buying food storage then having to go can it yourself seemed odd to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: December 03, 2012 03:03PM

I hadn't heard of a gift through the cannery.
Normally you get an assignment to go to the cannery & help, and at the end they give each of you 1 can of what you canned, and then try to get you to buy more.

...but all my experience was in Idaho. Maybe it's different elsewhere.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 03, 2012 03:03PM

not strange at all. when you can vacuum pack three pound cans of macaroni, rice, white sugar red wheat, and navy beans, it can all be used gradually.
I had about a hundred pounds of this largess from a family member, but it was too heavy to take along on my many moves of household.
it is not good for emergency rations, as it all has to be processed and cooked.
what were they thinking?
Librarian

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: December 03, 2012 05:42PM

I guess if your mormon this is a great gift idea. I did think it was odd that it was their christmas present but they had to can it themselves but who am I to judge!

Several years ago my husbands grandmother gave us a case of powdered mashed potatoes for christmas and my MIL gave me a case of maccaroni and cheese. I would rather have had the money they spent on these things but we just smiled and said thank you and donated it all to the food bank =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 05:43PM by dominikki.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 01:27AM

The old geezer HP who has hounded me for years to try and re-activate me was always trying to get me to buy stuff from the cult for my 2-year supply...didn't happen...

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.