Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 02:08AM

I was scanning the dial on the way home and heard Brother Beck first tell his Blaze Radio audience from behind his Dallas-based microphone that the recipe called for "two pounds of butter."

His radio sidekick asked, "Two pounds?"

Beck paused, then corrected himself. "Two tablespoons."

He then admitted that two pounds of butter would be too much, "even for Mormons."

Maybe not, Glenn, maybe not:

"More than half of adult Utahns are overweight or obese. In 2009, 671,144 adults were overweight and 481,051 were obese, equal to 1.1 million Utahns.

"This is greater than the entire populaton of Montana. You could fill Rice Eccles Stadium, the E-Center and Energy Solutions arena over 15 times with overweight or obese Utah adults."

("Obesity is a Public Health Crisis in Utah," by Elizabeth A. Joy, "Salt Lake Tribune," 14 February 2011, at: /opinion/51231452-82/health-utah-obesity-obese.html.csp)

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 04:15PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 11:45AM

Obesity is a public health crisis in ALL of America.

You can always tell the American tourists in Europe: they're the fat ones in t-shirts, shorts and casual shoes.

Americans aren't going to stop overeating until the day insurance companies start demanding surcharges for health coverage on a per-pound basis against a weight-height standard.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 11:53AM

Fine, maybe some of his fans will question his credibility a little. Oh, as if Beckheads are capable of making the mental leap.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 01:02PM

As much as I detest Beck and Mormonism, Utah is actually pretty good when compared to most other states:

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 01:22PM

a survey...it was "self reporting" survey so it is not any where near a scientific study.
I would warrant that many people that are obese do not view themselves as such...I know that when i was 50 lbs heavier i did not think I was obese...i had a 30 BMI...so these reports are self reporting...which means the US prolly has an even worse problem than imagined!

just self reporting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 01:22PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 01:50PM

Sure, it was "self reporting." But Utah was no different than any other state in that. So unless you can make a case that Utahans self report obesity at a lower rate than others, I think the point stands that Utah isn't as bad as most states.

But to your greater point: Absolutely. We have a crisis of obesity in the United States.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 04:13PM

"While Utah remains one of the least fattest states in the country, people here are still gaining weight.

"Obesity rates in the Beehive State have nearly doubled in the past 15 years, going from just 12 percent of the population to 23.4 percent of Utahns now classified as obese, according to a report released Thursday by Trust for America's Health, a nonprofit national health advocacy group. Coupled with individuals who are overweight, the rate climbs to 57.9 percent in Utah."

("Utah remains 6th least fat state, but obesity rate has nearly doubled in 15 years," by Wendy Leonards, "Deseret News," 7 July 2011, at: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705375852/Utah-remains-6th-least-fat-state-but-obesity-rate-has-nearly-doubled-in-15-years.html?pg=all)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 04:14PM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.