Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:18PM

I was wondering today if any of the apologists have suggested that the endowment tokens are not literally what we'll have to do to get into heaven, just symbolic. Instead of presenting the actual tokens, we'd just have to show that we know who we were, who we're becoming, that Christ was crucified for us, and tada, we're in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:24PM

So then, Jesus is the SYMBOLIC son of God?

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:24PM

When religions look around and find that people aren't taking their magical crap seriously anymore, they say all the little bits are metaphorical.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:25PM

Never heard that, but it tracks.

The far greater question to me is how exactly those tokens so identically mirror those of the Freemasons. The apologists have no good answer for that.

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:26PM

I don't care what the apologists SAY we believe. What matters is what the members ACTUALLY believe. When the membership believes one thing and the apologists say something else, what's happening is the church is just trying to hide from an embarrassing doctrine.

When I got my endowment (disappointing day, I know), the temple president took me in his office and told me that when he dies he'll see an angel and have to give it the tokens.

Church doctrine is that god requires a secret handshake to get into heaven. Period. (Which is actually quite sad if you think about it. God is so petty he'll condemn a good person if he gets a keyword wrong.)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:39PM

The Sacrament is Symbolic... why not the 'Endowment'?

what do / could you mean by 'literal'?

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 03:03PM

I meant literal as in what Brigham Young said about how we'll actually have to give those exact signs and tokens to angel-sentinels to get into heaven. He took it literally, like the exchange at the veil in the temple is exactly how it's going to happen at the veil to heaven.

Posted by: esias ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:43PM

The lesson book for pre-temple and pre-nuptual prospectees has a more private introduction to Symbolism (oxen around tank, Masonic imagery etc.), but this is the first time this is discussed in semi-public. Don't most wards have a metalic seventies-shutters feel, with a lack of imaginative achitecture, where the Symbolism is downplayed? Welcome to the dark side.

But the 10% entrance fee for the Gothic show is way too expensive.

The funniest has got to be the Second Annoinetings - where you get the power to open the skies! By the time you get to the pointy hats, the signs, the magic underwear, you gotta suspect summit's dodgy!

Best regards esias

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:50PM

Symbolic of what?

Apologist types always say "the endowment is richly symbolic," and leave it at that.

What is it symbolic of? Why isn't there an official explanation
of what it's symbolic of? Aren't we told only that the story of
the creation of Adam and Eve is symbolic? If they go out of
their way to say THAT part is symbolic, then don't they mean the
rest of it is literal?

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 02:16PM

The hand with the palm facing down and the thumb extended is symbolic of you handing over your money to the church.

The hand with the palm facing up, with your left hand to the square, is symbolic of the church receiving your money.

Raising your arms and shouting, "Pay lay ale", well, that's quite literal and needs no explanation.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 02:18PM

I was told this "at the veil" once. The worker on the other-side was missing his right arm. So we did everything mirror image.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 02:22PM

Of course, the rituals are symbolic. Much of the temple dialog is symbolic. It never ever occurred to me that anyone would think any of it was literal. It's impossible to be literal. Rituals have always been symbolic in all religions.
I know some people believe they are literal. I find that absolutely bizarre that anyone would think any of the temple rituals are literal.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 03:14PM

I took out my first endowment in 1988. It seems like the sign for the 1st token of the Melchizedek priesthood changed in 1991. It went from left palm up + right palm down + right thumb extended and touching left hip to what it is today: left palm up + right palm down.

Am I remembering that correctly? If so, which sign do I give to the angels that stand as sentinels?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 03:14PM by facsimile3.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 03:16PM

I should add that the new sign is NOT very convenient for disemboweling myself...errrr...symbolically disemboweling myself (I like to perform the penalties for interested evangelicals here in Texas).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.