Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 08:26AM

So, there's a 40-year-old guy in Australia who was raised in a devout conservative Christian family where he was taught sex was only for marriage.

As if he weren't messed up enough already, he became a Mormon. He said he and all the other Mormon virgins were proud of their virginity. We know how that happens.

He left the LDS church but all the virginity indoctrination stuck with him. (I'm guessing the anti-masturbation stuff stuck with him as well.) And it made him terrified of sex. Which made him awkward and ashamed with women, who had been the forbidden fruit all those years. After all, it's hard to develop any kind of relaxed, meaningful mental and emotional rapport with a woman when your libido and religious training are at war. It's hard to even speak in those circumstances.

The poor guy wants to marry and have a family, but he's a wreck. It seems like his only hope is an arranged marriage with an equally messed up female counterpart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 09:00AM

I was 25 when I lost my virginity.

Aspergers helps protect from STD's and unwanted pregnancy.......

Date: December 11, 2012 09:35AM

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 09:18AM

Did they mention anything that can help him?

Date: December 11, 2012 09:39AM

The segment started with him going to a strip club where he hoped to desensitize himself. He ran out after a while. He also tried speed dating but fail miserably. I think he might have been seeing a therapist, too. The show didn't show anything being resolved.

Posted by: Anonexmodude ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 09:52AM

The sheer irony with Smith's religion is that he himself was a freak, who couldn't get enough of it. I believe that Smith's narscistic endeavors led him to a system that eliminated his competitors - he being so hypersexual.

Date: December 11, 2012 10:05AM

I think the prudishness and fixation on chastity came later. Clearly, early Mormons (and many other people of the day) viewed women as property, as breeding stock. We know from complaints that missionaries were claiming the pretty foreign converts for themselves before the men at home could sort through them that polygamy was as much about collecting hotties as anything else. But with the end of polygamy, things flip-flopped. Then, a couple of generations later, with the introduction of The Pill and the sexual revolution, the ever-reactionary church became totally chastity-crazed.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 09:59AM

Date: December 11, 2012 10:12AM

The church takes a one-size-fits-all approach to its doctrines and the way they're taught, with no consideration for different personalities. Some people can go through the church's chastity indoctrination and come out just fine, with normal, happy sex lives. Some people, like the guy on TV, are totally debilitated by it. And there's a spectrum of Mormons between those two with some degree of sexual dysfunction thanks to the ideas planted in their heads.

I'm sympathetic to the guy because I came out of Mormonism messed up about sex, too. Not to his degree, but enough to cause problems.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 10:10AM

Nothing that a prostitute and a few drinks won't fix. Dude needs serious wingman assist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.