Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 12:09AM

I just read a rant by a group of Mormons attacking unions. Both my grandfathers and my grandmother belonged to unions, and they were all Mormons. They also all voted for FDR and LBJ.

When did Mormons get to be so out there politically? I've heard them say that Boehner is too moderate for the party to function.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 12:25AM

After getting screwed for almost a hundred years, because of Sidney Rigdon's hair brained communist ideas, they are over compensating.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 12:32AM

Mormons can easily be convinced to vote against their own interests.
They don't seem to understand that their "church" is not on the side of regular working men and women.

Of course, TBMs also don't understand that Mormonism is a fraud which exploits the members.
Shrug.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 12:44AM

Mormon Inc. would rate high on a list of bad employers. They make employees pay back ten percent of their pay to the corporation. Of course they hate unions, or anyone else who supports employee rights. Liberals, for instance, are derided by church leaders. What's funny is that rank and file Mormons will vote against their own interests due to leader worship.

Every Mormon below the rank of Mission President or Stake President is a dupe. The rabble supports the castle, and therefore the kingdom. Perhaps the most foolish Mormon is the ward bishop, who pays a ten percent tax for his title and is compensated only in vanity.

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 12:46AM

Why are Mormons such extreme conservatives?

They are at least 50 years behind.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 08:46AM

Because they think that by being that way they can STOP TIME.

And they think maybe if they get control of the world, they might even be able to TURN BACK THE CLOCK to some fantastical "golden age."

For an explanation, we can refer to a lot of what Mr. Marx wrote on the topic, because it hasn't changed one iota.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 11:34AM

And it isn't your imagination.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/125021/Mormons-Conservative-Major-Religious-Group.aspx

Personally, I think it was Ezra Taft Benson. The same people in his John Birch Society are now in the Tea Party.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 01:51PM

I come from coal country and all of my grandparents were proud Democrats and TBM. I think ETB totally changed the dynamics of the church. It was a "kinder and gentler" church before he came to power, at least in my eyes.

Date: December 13, 2012 07:56AM

My grandparents were moderate Democrats. They voted for FDR and LBJ, but also supported Reagan. They were union members and really liked SS and Medicare.

My dad is a Rush Limbaugh dittohead. He keep asking me how I got so liberal. I retort that his father was a union Democrat and how could he turn against his father?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 11:40AM

Easy.

Every institution attains a certain momentum in preserving its own best interests. All fundamentalist religions must, out of necessity, keep things the way they are in order to keep folks in their membership.

Mormon Inc uses a cultural operating system that is at least 50 years out-dated. Other institutions have continue to upgrade their software, but the mormons and other fundamentalists can't upgrade their software very often because in doing so they would lose their core constituency.

So, instead of upgrading they convince their membership that upgrading is evil and they should actually work to convince the rest of the population to go back to using old software that would make their church more relevant.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 02:22PM

I think a lot of it has to do with the package system of two-party politics.

Most Mormons are morally conservative, so, in order to be pro-life or pro-"sanctity of marriage", they end up having to buy into a system that is also socially conservative, as well.

For most, the moral conservatism trumps all other issues, so the rest comes along, whether they REALLY feel that way or not.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 07:22AM

I disagree here. Mormon teachings on the problem of pain weaken any tendency towards being a social liberal. As a Catholic, I am a moral conservative and a social liberal, and I usually vote Democratic. It is a cruel choice.

Lest people attack me on this, I do believe gays in stable relationships should have the option of legal contracts to protect each others' rights.

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: December 12, 2012 10:24PM

I think there is just a lot of overlap. In the last few days I have read some quotes that just sounded so familiar. Just substitute "Mormonism" for "conversativism" "saving souls" for "winning elections" and look at what you get.

""Conservatism is a racket for a lot of people to get very, very rich,” declares Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. “With no thought of winning elections.”

"“It may be that major parts of American conservatism have become such a racket that a kind of refounding of the movement as a cause is necessary,” says William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard."

Clipped from The Daily Beast "Why the Fiscal Cliff Is Causing a Nervous Breakdown on the Right," Howard Kurtz, 12-11-2012.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 01:19AM

There could be a correlation with Russia calling the TSCC a totalitarian sect. You know you're pretty extreme when the Russians are calling you totalitarian.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 08:20AM

When the church ruled its own universe they had little to fear but now that we are living in the Information Age the church is slowly loosing control. The same is true of evangelicals. People become reactionary conservatives out of fear.

Date: December 13, 2012 08:39AM

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 09:41AM

"People become reactionary conservatives out of fear."

People embrace an authoritarian, reactionary "religion" out of existential terror; the "becoming" ending upon the embrace of mormonism.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 13, 2012 10:50AM

they're consistently taught that Johnston's army & the seizure of church (non-religious) assets was evil; the Federal Gov't 'just can't get any respect' with Mormons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.