Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: darthbillgr ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:21PM

A TBM friend on facebook just pointed out that I'm angry with people who believe in god.

Is that a bad thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:23PM

..., and if they plan on brainwashing their children and supporting legislation that limits the rights of other human beings based on subjective interpretations of bronze-age fairy tales.

Date: December 14, 2012 04:24PM

They believe in the God that lets this kind of crap happen.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:28PM

Well, if they believe in bible-god then he didn't just "let it happen." He made it happen.

If bible-god is all-knowing (which they claim he is), then he knew that today's shooting would happen before he ever made his first creative act. He chose to go through with it anyway. Therefore, he made the shooting happen on purpose.

Now the bible theists can jump through their hula-hoops about how it's all part of some bigger plan that we just can't understand...

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:43PM

Not only believe in a God that let's such bad things happen to innocent children, the try to tell us what a good and LOVING god the god they believe in is.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:28PM

It's completely up to you if you want to be angry. You won't convince anyone of your understanding that there is no god by being mad at them though. I don't believe in god any more, but I'm not angry at any one just because they believe.

As an atheist, you don't need to live by any one's rules that you don't want to.

Date: December 14, 2012 04:40PM

i should add though that I do get very annoyed by persistent religious posts. Probably less annoyed than they would get though if I started posting atheist stuff all over FB

Date: December 14, 2012 05:07PM

It was the anger of exmormons that caused my brother to ridicule me after leaving the church, because he assumed exmos were all raging lunatics, fist flinging, yelling and screaming. He called me a hater, all because of his perception of the anger. Because of that, he assumed I was part of that, and refused to hear any of it.

Date: December 14, 2012 05:12PM

Wow.

Expressing anger via protests worked to change minds for the civil rights movement, the gay rights movement, the Viet Nam War protests, India's independence struggle.... The list goes on and on.

On a personal note, there has been more than one occasion where I didn't get trough to someone UNTIL they understood the amount of anger I was feeling. They only understood that after I expressed it.

Date: December 14, 2012 05:43PM

yes, that's what I said. I took that one experience and based my entire life philosophy from it.

Date: December 14, 2012 05:48PM

Not my problem that you used an unconvincing argument and don't like having the flaw pointed out.

Never mind that I said "objective truth" and nothing about an "entire life philosophy". Over react much?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 05:57PM by MJ.

Date: December 14, 2012 06:15PM

I'm not listening to you, you're angry (more sarcasm)

Look, I just gave my 2 cents. But so did you. It's all perspective.

Was my point flawed? Yup, in many cases I'm sure it is.

Is being angry all the time a flawless strategy though?

Date: December 14, 2012 06:28PM

I certainly did not.

However you seem to say that anger NEVER works by saying "You won't convince anyone of your understanding that there is no god by being mad at them though". I am sorry, but I have seem anger used successfully to break through religious programing.

Date: December 14, 2012 06:44PM

At this point, I think we're arguing over semantics and going nowhere.

I'm guilty of over-stating when trying to make a point, and now having my over-statements analysed instead of the core meaning. Just as you point out that my intent was that it was "never" good to get angry. Obviously I don't actually believe that it's NEVER good to get angry.

For the record, there is a time and place for all emotions, including anger. I will get angry some times, other times I prefer to use a degree of tact. I merely shared an experience that provided a different perspective. Perhaps it would have been worded better the statement "you won't" to "you may not".

But to be quite honest, I put about 20 seconds of thought into that post.

Date: December 14, 2012 06:47PM

Stop your black and white thinking and address what I actually said and I will not have to correct you.

If you are overstating something, then you are NOT BEING TRUTHFUL. To me you come across as a pure black and white thinker. It does not get your point across and makes you look irrational.

And who says you can not express anger with tact?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 06:50PM by MJ.

Posted by: ( ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 06:51PM

Date: December 14, 2012 06:53PM

But that is what I expect from people that can not make an actual valid point.

I never say for them to think the way I do. But they were applying black and white thinking to my statements of gray thus addressing them in a way that does not address the true meaning of WHAT WAS SAID.

You do know the difference between thinking and saying, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 06:55PM by MJ.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 06:11PM

"It was the anger of exmormons that caused my brother to ridicule me after leaving the church,"

I think you need to realize that it was your brother who caused your brother to ridicule you. His perception had nothing to do with other people, so don't blame other people for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 06:13PM by snb.

Date: December 14, 2012 06:32PM

Date: December 14, 2012 06:54PM

A few months after that episode, I was on a road trip with him and we talked a lot, listened to Dehlin/Phillips interview. So he longer believes. There was a couple of things in between that caused him to open up and want to finally listen, mainly my mother being preachy.

However, in that particular case to which I'm referring, originally when he first heard that I went apostate, he decided to do a little research himself. What he found were youtube videos of angry "anti-mormons" and seemingly angry blogs. So while we were having that discussion, he was under the assumption that that's what anti-mormon stuff was. So when I tried to defend myself and explain why, he didn't want to hear it, because he felt it was based on lies and half truths of angry apostates.

Now, when we listened to the Tom Phillips interview with Dehlin, he was drawn in, because of the cool headedness of Tom Phillips, and he was impressed by how he wasn't bashing church leaders, but describing them on a personal level and giving an honest assessment of their character.

I thought it was significant enough to share.

Date: December 14, 2012 06:58PM

No?

Then they were not really the cause. People should be adult enough to be able to see angry people without taking it out on others.

Date: December 14, 2012 07:08PM

Yeah because you said so.

Date: December 14, 2012 07:12PM

Unless you want to say your brother is not responsible for his actions, then nothing but himself was the cause of the angry outburst, the angry exmormons were scapegoats.

Date: December 14, 2012 07:29PM

I don't think there's any one solid explanation silver bullet answer on this. This was his perception, his reaction. I was pissed as hell at him for it. At HIM, not the angry exmos. But he's since changed his views on that, as I stated above, thanks to some other influences.

I just don't think that being angry is my first choice of strategy. Tact is simply my preferred method. But like I said, time and place for everything

Date: December 14, 2012 08:44PM

It has to do with a person being responsible for their own behavior. Hey, if you want to accept the excuse that exmo's or Satan made him do it, it is up to you, but it isn't true.

Again, you says you can not express anger with tact?

BTW, based on your behavior here, your reliance on hyperbole, mis-representations, and sarcasm, you may want to rethink your strategy of relying on tact. It does not seem to be your strong suite.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 08:58PM

Date: December 14, 2012 09:05PM

It is disrespect and confrontational.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 09:09PM by MJ.

Date: December 14, 2012 04:32PM

It just gets to me to see all of these pictures or comments about how a loving god is not taking care of the dead.

So I guess I'm not mad at believers as much as I'm really anoid by them.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 04:32PM

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

More than once i've been the target of an angry raging believer. They really get vicious when they are trying to look like they aren't angry. They just quietly stab you in the back. If that doesn't work, they'll go after your spouse or children. They're the worst kind to have angry at you. They put a nice face on their rage. They have no problem using others to do their dirty work. I've known some who will pray to God that he will help them to accomplish their task.

Date: December 14, 2012 04:46PM

From my other thread.

"2 Nephi 2:23 teaches that in order to feel joy, we need to first experience misery. It's also true that the greater the misery we experience, the greater the joy we are then capable of feeling. So, while this was horrible and unfair, it wasn't because God was ignoring all those people. And it wasn't just to teach them a lesson either. It was to increase their joy in the long run. "Men are that they might have joy." I've learned this lesson through personal experience. It's true! I hope that helps."

See. It was so we can feel more joy!!

Sick.

Date: December 14, 2012 06:10PM

" It's also true that the greater the misery we experience, the greater the joy we are then capable of feeling."

Why do you say that this is true?

Date: December 14, 2012 06:31PM

I think he is still saying that 2 Nephi 2:23 teaches this.

Date: December 14, 2012 04:48PM

I often find that many believers will think you angry unless you agree with every F'n word they say.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 05:51PM

I think it depends on the believers and what they are doing. If they are not harming anyone or forcing their religion you, then it is'wrong,IMO

Date: December 14, 2012 05:53PM

I changed my status on fb to say "Would it have been a big deal for God to let this evil man have a heart attack before his killing spree?"

Next thing I know I'm getting sick TBM comments.

Posted by: Brian M ( )
Date: December 14, 2012 06:07PM

There is always a cost with anger. It narrows the focus and draws more emotional and physical attention to things that may not be worth it for you to get involved in.

I'm only a few years into non-theistic thinking and I have noticed many times I have felt anger arise in reaction to believer's perspective and reasoning. Although I can't always avoid an initial strong reaction to these situations, I have concluded there is absolutely no benefit for me to be confrontational or demanding for others to see things the way I do.

I often still become angry, but I think for me it's best that I transform that emotional energy into something other than enmity in the long run.

Date: December 14, 2012 06:08PM

Anger isn't a bad thing. It is what you do with it.

If you can't control yourself then yes, it probably is bad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.