Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sillysally ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 11:07AM

Interesting Find:

"Just talked to a friend who serves as his Ward's Executive Secretary in ___________. The Bishop of his Ward called a hasty Bishopric meeting last night with the topic being women wearing pants this Sunday to church. He instructed the Bishopric members to be on the lookout and if any woman in the Ward shows up to church wearing pants her name is supposed to be forwarded to the Bishop and he will be calling in the woman for a personal worthiness interview. The Stake also wants the names of every woman who shows up in church wearing pants as well. The Bishop mentioned withholding the Sacrament from anyone who pushes this cause too far."

I've run out of adjectives to describe the insanity this non-event is causing."

-reposted from a web site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 01:44PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 11:56AM

This is the best we can hope for, short of a public statement from the PR department.

Some jackwagon type bishop will go to far, and a woman will go to the media.

I still think this pants campaign is brilliant and a turning point.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:14PM

+1, sadly the brainwashed nieces in my family have weighed in and they think they are super special as Mormon girls and that Church is not for protest! Yay, their grandma is winning in her brainwashing objectives.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 12:13PM

I hope these women do get roped in. Stuff will hit the fan , bishop will get fired and the Morg proves they are NOT OK with equal rights.

Haha. Bring out the popcorn. They keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 12:34PM

A nice pair of dress slacks is more modest than a dress or skirt. This is another worthiness fetish established by the patriarchy of this ridiculous cult.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 01:31PM

I wonder when they will start wearing jackboots and "heil, Tommy"-ing...

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 01:35PM

Hell, I am in the mood to wear Levis there

subject to change my mind

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 01:39PM

The only answer during these interviews should be "go to hell", or something similar. I'm sure Raptor Jesus could help us out.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 01:42PM

In most other churches women wear pants including jeans and sweats all the time. This is ridiculous.The 1950 s are over

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 08:20PM

Posted by: mormonista ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 01:48PM

That you should dress respectfully.

Any and all other policies are personal interpretations.

There is no mandate for women to not wear pants.

This whole action is based on these facts and is just going to make fools of any one who tries to stop it.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:16PM

If there were a mandate should they be interviewed or should the US government move to revoke charitable church tax exempt status of the Mormon church.

It's a cult, I am tired of subsidizing the organization and the members. Revoke Mormon tax exempt status now!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:22PM

the exemption applies to the rank-and-file in their 'gifts', as well as to people of other religions.

non-starter.

Posted by: mormonista ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 04:15PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 01:52PM

Don't you know that pants are the gateway drug to total nudity ?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 02:06PM

Correct.
The women should start off with only a couple with the objective of snowballing each week. If one is brought into the bishop's office, she should enlist two more to join her the next week. If they get brought in, each should be two more, etc. Then the matter should reachthe media, ward by ward, stake by stake.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:26PM

so now tell us EXACTLY what the 'problem' there is???

I'm WAITING...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 02:02PM

You just skip tithing settlement. Once December passes it is too late and wait another year. Why didn't you think of it? The only way the bishop got me to meet with him was by my going to hometeach his family and his bringing me into his home office. Otherwise, simply don't see him.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 02:10PM

This really ought to get some broader publicity, like the MT scandal did. I think it would be especially effective right now, when the general public (especially women) are still feeling the sting of recent attacks on women's issues. Like bona dea said, other churches don't do this. We showed up in shorts, tanks, and flip flops at my old church, and nobody cared. If TSCC were forced to publish a statement denying that women are prohibited from wearing pants, the local leaders might have to back off on the disciplinary action, at least for now.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:18PM

"This really ought to get some broader publicity, like the MT scandal did."

This has been on the nonmormon local news channel in the SLC area. My wife and I stared at ourselves in disbelief

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 02:11PM

If someone told me I couldn't wear pants (and I had the body for it) I'd just take the pants off right then and there. If you had a pair of shorty-shorts on under, what could they do? It's not public nudity or anything. And if they tried to ex you for it, wouldn't that be a great story for the media?

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:07PM

Heh heh. This is exactly what my friend and i did at the Vatican. Waited in a long queue, then got told no shorts. We were wearing knee length shorts in hot weather. So we stripped off the shorts at the front of the line and put on our track pants. We were quickly let in.

Date: December 15, 2012 03:16PM

We'll need a return-and-report from one of the more radically feminist closet mormons here......

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:17PM

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to tell the bishop to "kiss my ass"

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:23PM

Crap... does that mean that all of the women who've been wearing pants to church regularly before are going to get in trouble too?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:35PM

Does he get a pass?

I hope the pants wearing women do get called to the bishop's office. Maybe the light bulb will go on and they'll see how stupid the rule is. If it's not officially in writing, then tell the bishop he's only speaking as a man and can be ignored.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 03:40PM

then the women should hold a protest outside the church on public property. They should wear pants, sunglasses, and a mask over their lower face so they can't be identified. They should carry signs that say "This Church is Sexist", and other similar signs. If the Bishop can't identify the women, then he can't call them to a worthiness interview.

Date: December 15, 2012 03:59PM

I mentioned this to a mormon guy at work...and he just kind of scoffed (but never indicated that it is ok for women to already do this). He also mentioned that the Tongan men in his ward wear...what he called...dresses..(they are called Srongs, I think).

I did challenge him to tell any of the Tongan men in his ward that they are just wearing dresses...

Posted by: Zip ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 04:16PM

+

I AM WEARING A PROPER DRESS, AND NO PERSON CAN TALK ME OUT OF IT!

(Problem is -- I'm a man)

+

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 08:07PM

Show up in a kilt.
Better yet, fake a good scottish accent to go with it.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 08:18PM

Tradition! Tradition!
o.c.d. types, like the church dogmatic regulators, do not like change.

Even when I attended I disliked the idea that women couldn't keep up with current fashion and wear pants. the reason behind dresses made even less sense.

I recall a friend attending a mainstream church in jeans. gasp I thought.
The horror!
I asked her if she was allowed.

She said that God wanted his children to attend no matter what they wore and that God judged a person by her/his heart - not the clothes they wore on their back....
That it was a humble and contrite heart that was important....that the scribes and pharisees were concerned over such types of vanity.

She said that Jesus said, come unto me all you that labor and are heavy burdened and I will give you rest. He didn't say come in a dress unto me or I will grill you and cause shame upon your head for not adhering to my dress code.

....that Jesus went into the highways and biways finding homelesss and destitute people in the bible parable.

I had a mormon image of that parable rephrased in the JST edition to say that Jesus went into the hiways and biways finding the poor and destitute to come to him, but he first issued the women dresses and the men ties because Jesus is a trendsetter with a fashion code to keep up.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 08:03PM

Next up: women wear dresses/skirts to church but with *really* hairy legs. "But bishop! You *said* to wear a skirt!"

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 08:25PM

He'll be holding so many interviews, he'll never get home! LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.