Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 10:46PM

Does the bible contain the following teachings, stories, or sayings…?:

1) The immaculate conception.

2) This quote: “Loves bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”

3) The story of three wise men, or kings, who visited the baby Jesus.

4) This quote: “From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.”

5) The doctrine of the trinity

6) Jesus saying of Peter “Upon this rock I will build my church.”

7) Peter founded the church in Rome.

8) After his death, Jesus appeared to his disciples in Jerusalem.

9) After his death, Jesus appeared to his disciples in Galilee.

10) Peter was martyred by being crucified upside down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: December 17, 2012 01:52AM

I'm a little rusty but here goes :)

1) I believe it does say that Mary was a virgin and in at least one of the Gospels, it says that Joseph "knew her not" until she had born a son, Jesus.

2) This is from 1 Corinthians though some translations differ exactly on how this is worded. I had to read this at a wedding recently (an atheist reading the Bible out loud at a wedding... oh well :) )

3) The Jesus birth story says wise men came to visit him but never specifies how many. We tend to think that three came because the Bible mentions three gifts but it never says that just three came. We just know it was plural ("men") so it could be two or 2000.

4) This is a quote from Karl Marx I believe, on Communism.

5) The Bible does say "The Father and I are one" but that in and of itself doesn't teach the Trinity. As I recall, the Trinity was a later teaching, added by a priest (Catholic?) in like 200 AD. Or something like that, I told you I was rusty :)

6) Jesus said this and it's in the Bible but I can't remember the specifics.

7) Didn't Paul - not Peter - found the church in Rome?

8 and 9) Jesus appeared to his disciples but I don't remember where exactly. Additionally, the first Gospel written (Mark around 70ish AD) did NOT have Jesus appearing to his disciples but ended after the women found an empty tome (though the rest of Mark was added on shortly thereafter)

10) I remember hearing about this in LDS seminary but I don't remember if it was in the Bible or not.

I told you I was rusty :)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 17, 2012 02:24AM

Immaculate conception is about Mary' s birth. It is a belief that she was conceived without original sin. It is not the same as virgin birfh

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: December 17, 2012 02:26AM

Yeah, I realized that after I hit submit but didn't want to edit/cheat on the quiz :)

Posted by: BeerCanMan ( )
Date: December 17, 2012 01:34PM

The Immaculate conception phrasing came from a Pope in 1854, I think. The Immaculate reception came from Franco Harris.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 17, 2012 02:53PM

Number 6 is a matter of dispute between Protestants (excluding Episcopalians) and Catholics. Mormonism appears to take the Catholic position that the "rock" was Peter. However, protestants believe the rock was the faith exhibited by Peter. As for apostalic succession, LDS belief is that it failed in the "Great Apostasy" and other sects maintain it continued and did not have to go through Peter. JS had to resurrect Peter to create his new religion. Just to make it more palatable, he added John and James. It is and was hogwash. Again, Christ did not (by best authority) confer the succession on Peter. If this were the case, how was Paul able to disagree with him? Paul, as an apostle, also negates any suggestion that the laying on of hands ended with the death of the first twelve.

The use of a re-appearance of Peter was a hoax intended to gather those who had already concluded that a re-institution of the original church was necessary and make it palatable for those who came from a Catholic background as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2012 03:47PM by rhgc.

Date: December 17, 2012 03:50PM

Re No. 7. Though Paul wrote from Rome and was influential in Rome, it is not certain he actually founded the church in Rome.

Date: December 17, 2012 03:52PM

Re No 10. It is tradition and not in the Bible about Peter being crucified upside down.

Date: December 17, 2012 04:43PM

The trinity isn't mentioned, but there are passages that can be interpreted to support it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2012 04:50PM by bona dea.

Date: December 17, 2012 04:48PM

1,4,5,7,and 10 are no. The wise men are in the NTbut there is no number given.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2012 07:41PM by bona dea.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 17, 2012 06:24PM

rhgc, which protestants? Most agree that Christ himself is the rock on which his church is built.

Date: December 17, 2012 06:36PM

Point well taken. I was referring to the interpretation of the rock and Peter, rather than discussing Christ who is referred to also as "the rock of our salvation". Rock, in the context of the statement by Peter that Jesus is the Christ, and Christ discusses "rock" does not change the recognition of Christ being the chief cornerstone (also rock), etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.