Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dit ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:22AM

God love him, but how could he say that Joseph Smith was the author of 'If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life time'-Author UNKNOWN

They're on a mission in Guatemala and fired up for the church. I had to send him an email to show him, JS DIDN"T originally say that!!! This is the body of the email...[i]“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life time” – Author Unknown[/i] WTF?

Then my mother of course is in on her 'These are the last days BS...' I said 'Mother, you will live to 90 and we won't see the Lord until we pass and go to him in heaven.' Oh she had to remind me that the prophets have prophesied this and it's sure to be true because the violence is so crazy in Guatemala then it must be true! Jeez.....*shakes head*...On FIRE FOR THE MORMONS drives me ape shit crazy! LOL!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:26AM

I thought it was Confucius, but I am not sure at all. I doubt it was JS.

Posted by: excultmember ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:33AM

If it was really the last days and she would live to see it all, then why did the LDS church build/invest $4 billion in a mall? Seems like that would be the last thing they would do.

Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 03:10AM

I don't think they caught on to what I thought was a thinly veiled attempt at being sarcastic. One who replied said that "god was separating the wheat from the tares" and it is "worth a couple of billion dollars to to do this even though the it was like flushing money down the drain"

I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic but he is a rabid TBM so I'm sure he was being somewhat serious. The TBM mind is interesting, anything can be "rationalized" away, it is truly remarkable.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:34AM

"There was a Chinese proverb that once said: 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.'

"Today, that same proverb . . . might go like this: 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he risks a fine of $0 to $250 per fishing violation, and/or 15 days in jail, and you probably think you don’t need a fishing license if you fish in a pond on your own property, but you actually do need a license unless you are a farmer (and soon you’ll need a license also for saltwater fishing).'"

http://ilinews.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/dont-teach-a-man-to-fish/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2011 12:34AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:40AM

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you get rid of him for the weekend."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2011 10:01AM by Laban's Head.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 09:41AM

you already need a license to fish saltwater..... unlessyou fish from land! or you are on a charter!!

Date: January 07, 2011 12:35AM

Steve, you have me rolling!!! ROFLMAO!!

Date: January 07, 2011 12:37AM

Another thing my father has now said twice, according to that so called book that some Mormon archeologist wrote that when Christ was crucified, an earthquake happend for 3 hours in Guatemala. How could you spout such BS?

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:39AM

Don't forget that the righteous will live on the earth during the Millenium. The mall may just be where the purified will be shopping during the millenial era. Jesus himself will be here permanently at least for those thousand years and I'm sure he'll need a place for clothes. I, too, will still need my Nordstrom.

Date: January 07, 2011 12:41AM

No kidding Cristina!!! Again ROFL!!!

It's the Joseph Allen book I was babbling about...Exploring the Land of the BOM....*puke*

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:41AM

If you set him on fire he stays warm the rest of his life.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:51AM

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Tell a man to pray for fish, and he starves.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 03:23AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 08:50AM

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 08:55AM

I think this thread may be a red herring...

Sorry everybody, saw it and went for it

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 09:02AM

In Houston:

If you give a man a fish, he'll thow it back at you and claim he wants a bottle of Thunderbird not some stinky flounder.

Ron

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 09:26AM

...and he has an excuse to drink beer on a boat every Saturday."

I think JS came up with "Give me your poor, your tired, your scandanavian immigrant woman because they're d*mn fine lookin'."

Date: January 07, 2011 09:36AM

He didn't originate that quote, but he did originate this one:

(don't shoot the messenger)

"If she's old enough to pee, she's old enough for me."

Ron

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 10:11AM

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you give him a gun, he can just take all the fish he wants from the other fishermen."

:-)

Posted by: Joseph Fish ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 10:26AM

I can see where he could be coming from with this but if you compare this:

"I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves."

it is very similar to:

"Teach a man to fish, let him feed himself."

It was John Taylor who attributed this quote to Joseph Smith in 1851 and he's from England. The earliest reference to the teach a man to fish quote is 1885 in a book published in England.

I think it was probably a proverb long before Joseph Smith but can't find it anywhere at the moment.

Posted by: For Mor(m)on Apologists ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 10:33AM

For Mor(m)on apologists I think it goes:

Give an apologist enough rope, and he'll hang himself. :)

Which is what FAIRLDS and FARMS have been doing for years.

Date: January 07, 2011 10:31AM

Oh, you all are killing me!!! What a great way to start the day!!! ROFLMAO!!

ExRon, you're in Houston, I grew up north of there in Conroe. Perhaps we know each other? ;)

Date: January 07, 2011 10:59AM

Perhaps. I was in Klein Ward off Louetta.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 12:22PM

Give a man a fish and he is fed for a day.
Teach a man to make sushi and he is fixed for life in my town.

Date: January 07, 2011 12:53PM

Ron, we moved to Houston in '72 and we were an active family then. My dad is somewhat known in the area because of his masonry business. If you want to contact me my email is mquili@hotmail.com.

Bob, you're killing me too! Sushi sounds insane right about now, esp since I'm starving. I just printed a recipe to make my own rolls. I think I'm going to try it this weekend!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 07, 2011 01:01PM

Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Tell a man he'll get seventy-two virgins for dying horribly in the service of allah, he'll pay his own way through flight school and graduate early.

I don't get it.

Timothy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.