Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Molly A. ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 10:23AM

This afternoon I have an appointment for tithing settlement. I however do not feel well nor do I want to go. My question is: What happens if you don't go? What if you aren't there to declare your tithing status even if you are a full tithe payer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:11AM

First, you are under no obligation to go. You go to "declare" your status as to payment of money to the Corporation Soe, dba TCJCLDS.

If you do not go, then the bishop must decide on his own, based on his inspiration, if you are a full, part, or non tithe payer. This factors into a number of calucations, including how much money the stake and ward get back from SLC. Typically, the most a ward will get is about 10% back from what is sent it.

Just as a side note, it is interesting to look at what this corporation focuses on. If you are a TBM, you renew your temple recommend every two years (previously it was done annually). In addition to being asked about tithing at the temple recommend interview, you are also asked annually in the tithing settlement (I HATE that term). So, in just looking at the numbers, you are asked 1 1/2 times per year about money (annually at tithing settlement and once every other year (0.5 times per year) in the temple recommend interview). So, all other questions of worthiness are asked 0.5 times per year. By my calculation, then, ALL other worthiness questions (adultery, honesty, etc.) are 1/3 as important as money.

My math may be off, but the concept holds.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:11AM

That should be Corporation SOLE. Sorry.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 12:03PM

I thought recommends were annual. Did they change that?

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 12:14PM

It was made every other year (two-year recommends) around 2005. I forget exactly when, but they are two-year and barcoded now.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:19AM

I think Crathes summed things up pretty good. They may try to reschedule with you, or they may just decide on their own. If you want to let them know, you can leave him a voice mail that you are a full tithe payer and aren't feeling well so won't make the appointment, but you don't even have to do that.

The short answer is that as far as you are concerned, nothing happens. I don't know how many of these I skipped even when I was a TBM, just because I didn't like the hassel of it all.

The world keeps turning, you get back that 15 - 20 minutes of your life (plus travel time) and you don't have to worry about the headache of sitting infront of someone telling them how much money you make a year and how much of it you gave up to an organization that cares very little about you outside of that. After all, do they have annually scheduled, required by the home office, Bishop meeting just to see how you're doing? Nope.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:27AM

As others have pointed out, the bishop makes a declaration on your behalf if you do not show. No big deal.

As a former bishop I would add that the real purpose of tithing settlement is to gain one more moment of obedience and subservience from you. Those who attend tithing settlement are those who are wanting to show they are fully on board. There is nothing to do with money that has to be done in "settlement." But only by obediently showing up can people show they will do whatever the brethren ask.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:30AM

We went last year just like normal. Sithlord hadn't paid a dime, but then we've paid to SLC for years for tax reasons. Sithlord wasn't out of the belief closet yet and I was as TBM as you can get. He lied his ass off and said we were paid up.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:36AM

Why oh why do people feel obligated to attend a tithing settlement????

You owe zilch to the Mormon "church".

Date: December 23, 2012 11:59AM

Thank you all for the replies. It's not so much that I feel obligated to attend tithing settlement. I just hate confrontation late and wondered what happens if you don't go. Sooo if I leave a voice message that I am or not a full tithe payer, than it's all done - no questions asked? I could handle that.
:-)

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 12:54PM

Molly,

No need to leave voice mail that "I am or not a full tithe payer." They'll figure that out.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 12:03PM

There really is no specific need to attend tithing settlement no matter what your paying status. It's not required for a temple recommend or anything - if/when you want a temple recommend you will be asked then and tithing settlement will have no impact.

Probably the best thing is to cancel so they know - just call and say "Sorry, I can't make it to tithing settlement today."

Posted by: birthgoddess ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 12:16PM

I wouldn't even worry about a call or cancelling. They always have families scheduled back to back and you end up waiting an hour to go in. By not going, you'll be making life easier for the family who signed up after you.

As for calling? Why bother? Your bishop can figure it out on his own - isn't he supposed to be inspired? No need to be uncomfortable on his account.

Some clerk will even give you a statement for your taxes, whether you show up or not.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 01:24PM

I believe Bps check off a box on your membership records that indicates whether/not you attended T.S. for each year.

What.A.Load.of.CRAP.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 01:39PM

We didn't even schedule a time last year but the ward clerk called us to ask since it wasn't clear from the tithing that we paid if we were or weren't. My hubby told him over the phone, and we were good.

We hardly paid any tithing this year, so it should be a no-brainer for the Bishop and there'd be no need to contact us.

Date: December 24, 2012 09:42AM

Sooooooooooo I ended up going to tithing settlement just to keep peace but at the bottom of the page the bishop gave us, I noticed it said, full tithe payer, part tithe payer, non tithe payer and exempt. WHO IS EXEMPT ?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Posted by: justcallmestupid ( )
Date: December 24, 2012 09:53AM

Mission presidents?

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: December 24, 2012 10:04AM

The only people that are exempt are those who receive church welfare as their only form of assistance or income. And mission presidents.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: December 24, 2012 09:56AM

Even if you're a full tithe payer, if you don't go, you'll be declared partial, assuming you've contributed this year.

However, you don't have to go. Who cares what your status as a tithe payer is, unless it's your goal to attend the temple. It's all about control.

Don't go. And while you're at it, why don't you give yourself a raise and stop paying all together?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 24, 2012 10:15AM

One of my last years in TSCC, the secretary called me to make an appt. for tithing settlement. I hadn't paid a dime that year other than some fast offerings. I told him there was no need to make an appointment.

He kept badgering me and I told him that the bishop can easily look at my donations and tell whether I'm a full tithe payer so I'm not going to waste either of our time. He then admitted that the bishop specifically wanted an appointment with me and that it isn't all about whether or not you're a full tithe payer. It confirmed my suspicions that it's about being able to guilt you into paying something, anything. I told him to buzz off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.