Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: December 29, 2012 05:48PM

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_temples/Second_anointing

Some excerpts and my commentary:

"The second anointing is an ordinance performed in the temple. It is not regarded as an essential ordinance which one must receive in this life for exaltation. In the early Utah period, this ordinance was performed more widely than it is today".

(Ok, so at least there's an admission that this exists. Although you have to wonder why even many long-term members are not aware of this. Surely this might form part of the 'meat' of the gospel that people deserve to be taught rather than the countless basic lessons on repentance and Word of Wisdom. If it can only be taught in the temple.... then teach it there for goodness sake).

"Those who receive the second anointing would not discuss the specifics in any public forum, in or out of the Church".

(This is erroneously stated as if it is fact. I think we know differently).

"Written accounts that purport to describe the second anointing should be viewed with extreme caution and skepticism, since by the nature of the subject they cannot be confirmed".

(Tom Phillips has openly stated his name and so FAIR will know that the church will certainly be aware of its veracity and could choose to deny it if blatantly false.

"Even those aware of problems with such accounts would not correct such inaccuracies".

(Perhaps there are no inaccuracies to correct).

"FAIR is confident that no faithful Latter-day Saint would want to learn about such a sacred matter from unauthorized sources".

(Such people have little chance of learning about this anywhere else. What exactly are the 'authorised' sources? If the prophet/15.... well these 'mouthpieces of God' are as silent as they usually are).

"Furthermore, no Latter-day Saint would wisely seek such information prematurely, any more than a parent would want a child to read an unauthorized transcript of the temple endowment prior to attending the temple for the first time".

(Very patronising. So does FAIR liken seasoned bishops and Stake Presidents who don't know about the 2nd Anointing, to children? 'Prematurely' would also indicate that there will come a time when one is ready to learn about this... but we know this is unlikely unless you're a recognised leader / have the right connections / and someone already in the club nominates you).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 29, 2012 05:52PM

The very last sentence made me laugh:

"FAIR will provide no further details on this topic. "

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 29, 2012 06:12PM

They always make sure they make it clear what type of people seek truth and what type ("faithful LDS") shut up and leave the guy behind the curtain alone.

It's like 'only a completely emotionally abused individual who lacks basic human curiosity and a sense of justice and equality would eat the crap explanation we are about to give with a spoon.'

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: December 29, 2012 06:30PM

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 29, 2012 08:30PM

I think their tag line says it all:

"Defending Mormonism by providing well-researched answers to challenging questions within a faithful context."

Within a "faithful context" indeed.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 29, 2012 09:51PM

FAIR? You mean that old thing is still around.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 02:44AM

Yes those "aware" would not correct "inaccuracies" because they are too special to lower themselves to the likes of you unannointed peons who have no right to know the initiation rites into their oh so special club. And besides that, as long as we keep it secret from the likes of you, we can vilify anyone who DARES to break our secrecy so we can convince you little people that they are devil worshipping liars and you will be possessed of satan just for questioning us.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 08:18PM

Please notice the oblique admonition to Mormons:

"FAIR is confident that no faithful Latter-day Saint would want to learn about such a sacred matter from unauthorized sources.

"Furthermore, no Latter-day Saint would wisely seek such information prematurely, any more than a parent would want a child to read an unauthorized transcript of the temple endowment prior to attending the temple for the first time."

This same indirect, passive-aggressive form of communication was used when the book "Under the Banner of Heaven" came out and said that "no one who considers himself a good Latter-day Saint need read the book."

I hate that. The one thing worse than the Mormons dictating to their members is doing it while pretending not to.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 08:35PM

It's amazing how they can encapsulate so much that is wrong with the church in just one sentence: Obedience > Truth seeking.

And if you don't agree, you must be sinful.

Date: December 30, 2012 09:34PM

Hey Cludgie, did you know that the spellcheck correction the iPhone gives for "cludgie" is fluffer?

Just a little trivia.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 04:11PM

Except that cludgie is Scots for toilet or latrine.

Date: December 30, 2012 09:25PM

And we wonder why Mormons are so passive aggressive. Wait a minute, no we don't.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 01:25PM

But...I thought the church has nothing to hide...

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 09:56PM

"Furthermore, no Latter-day Saint would wisely seek such information prematurely, any more than a parent would want a child to read an unauthorized transcript of the temple endowment prior to attending the temple for the first time".

Typical!

First: Attending the temple for the first time without knowing what will be required of you is the same as being asked to sign a contract BEFORE you are allowed to read what you are actually agreeing to. What decent parent would ever allow a child to commit to such an agreement in any normal circumstance?

Second: Where do you find an "authorized" transcript of the temple endowment prior to attending for the first time? This parent and child has no choice anyway!

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 01:01AM

I so wish my parents had told me what was invovled before I went through, I still remember sitting there and the guy saying you can leave now of your own free will instead of taking these promises that you know nothing about. like I was gonna stand up and bail infront of all my family.

I was still brain dead enough when my first son went through that I only gave him an outline of what would happen, my next son if he decides to go will get every detail in great detail. Plus the previous version stuff too. I'm not gonna trick my kid into that.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 10:25PM

The "No Girls Allowed" ridiculous club will now have to start up a Third Anointing, so nyah-nyah! We'll STILL have something so sacred that you fools don't even know it exists.

Only people who have had the Second Anointing are eligible. They are kidnapped from their beds and blindfolded and taken to an undisclosed location. They are given a list of questions to which there is no satisfactory answer and those who can reframe the question successfully will be allowed to wear a small pointy yellow hat.

Oh, and participants promise not to tell or else they will be dragged behind a car to City Creek and be forced to work as a security guard/imitation history professor.

Anagrammy

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 11:30PM

One thing I don't get, if the second anointing is not necessary for salvation what is it's purpose according to the church? I think from outside we can see a few reasons for it but I am very curious how this gets sold to the rank and file. Oddly FAIR seems to almost be saying god instituted a temple ordinance that has no meaning. I would imagine most TBM's would view an ultra secret temple ceremony as the most important of gods ordinances, surely not the least. I asked my mom about this some time ago, surprisingly she had heard of it but she used the same brush off of saying "its not required" and I couldn't get her to cough up any justification for its existence.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 10:19AM

Sounds like it's coming from a bunch of guys that haven't had their 2nd anointing yet

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 03:10PM

Orwell would love their use of the word

<ahem>

unauthorized.

And why would they reveal to someone who might be reading to fortify themselves against anti-stuff that unauthorized transcripts of the temple ceremony are available online?

Heck, if I saw that on the FAIR site, the first thing I would google would be Mo temple ceremony transcript. In all its versions.

Ping! End of testimony.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 04:15PM

Just another bullshi# ceremony staged by your neighborhood church of treehouse rules to make the extra special feel well, extra special.

Vomit.

Posted by: Oddoneout ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 06:33PM

My friend, a tbm to the max, heard about the second anointing and asked her bishop if it actually exited. He had never heard of it. Evidently he went to the sp with her question because later he called her in and told her that she was never to mention that ceremony or discuss it with anyone. He said that the sp told him that some polygamist groups were sneaking into the temple and performing these ceremonies. He also said that the sp told him to keep an eye on her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.