Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:07AM

What's up with that? I don't get it

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:09AM

oh my, never heard of that before. short for The Clan?

Date: January 04, 2013 01:18AM

It seems being unique has become the one defining characteristic for baby names in TBM family...but why bother...they may as well name the next kid...babygirl3657....

craaaazy!

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:18AM

A friend named her recently born son Mordecai. :(

Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 07:19AM

A cousin of ours just recently named their son a variation of Mordecai too. But to be unique, of course, they had to change the spelling to Mordiki or something like that made my first thought was that there will be embarrassing mispronunciations throughout his life whenever people don't have time to think about it for a sec ... I first read it as 'More' 'diki' or something like that just be ause it wasn't the traditional spelling of a no traditional name. (Edited to correct a typo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 07:19AM by Scott.T.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:28AM

There is a semi-major character in the show "Revenge" that is named Declan. Maybe that's where the idea came from...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:29AM

Declan is a fairly common Irish name. Not one I would have picked for my kid though. :-/

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:26PM

Yes, it's a very common name in Ireland. While I was in Dublin for my friend's wedding, I met the groom's cousin Declan. He went by the nickname Deco, and we were told it was a common nickname for it.

I'm part Irish, so we considered it as a name for our son, but ultimately didn't use it.

PS- It's pronounced Deck-lan, not Dee-clan, and the nickname is pronounced Deck-oh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 10:28PM by mysid.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:38AM

How about Moses, or for a Polish irish boy, Hugo, named after Hugo Boss a diehard german Nazi.

I have nieces and nephews with such weird names I can't remember them. It's like a competition to choose the worst name they can come up with. Those kids will grow up someday and want to know whats up with the name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 01:41AM by Mia.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:59AM

If I had kids, girl will be Karen, Boy will be Frank or Frankie.

None of the Utah Mormon crap like charitee, Truly, Makissa, Von, Lynn, Lavene, Tag, Willard, Parker, Jarom, Jared, Brett Orville, Heber..... You know what I mean!

I already have a dog named Picasso Luigi Francois.

Now good simple 20th century names from the 1950's are what I like.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 02:03AM

Sorry, I don't see the problem.

It's a common Irish name. This is not a case of weird Mormon or Utah names. I happen to like it a lot. I would have put in a a short list of boy names to consider myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 02:25AM by Lorraine aka síóg.

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 09:42AM

+1

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:52PM

I have a nevermo cousin who used it on one of her 2 kids.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 04:22AM

my tbm niece and her husband are raising a future prophet. yes, you heard that correctly... their first son, is going to be a prophet.

apparently there are many perils when you're raising gawd's elect, but my favorite one turns out to be MORMONS! yes my niece and her husband are so judgmental of others, and so convicted in their quest to shield their prophet/son from every negative aspect of living that they have stopped attending church because the rank and file mormons don't live up to the high standards they have for who gets to be around the prophet/son.

i know that this all sounds like a joke, but it's the truth, and i can assure you that i have not exaggerated the details in the least!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 05:07AM

How does one become a prophet of a church one has never attended?
I hope they didn't name him moses.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 05:35AM

my niece and her husband were happy atheists before she became unexpectedly pregnant. the fear of parenthood somehow scared them back into the cult, and in the process, made them uber fundamentalists too. i guess that they figured if they were going to raise kids, they might as well raise the most important one.

i think that they named him before they realized that they had the big guy on their hands. he has a hippy name. i'd give it, but it is WAY to obvious. but it's along the lines of 'tree' or 'field'.

it seems that it is common for certain tbm's to feel above the rules. they actually see living the letter of the law as something that the plebs do. my niece and her husband see themselves as much better mormons even though they don't actually attend church. you'd think that they had received the second anointing...

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:42PM

sonoma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
you'd think that they had received
> the second anointing...

Maybe they did . . . afterall, they wipe the ass of the future prophet!

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 08:36AM

Agreeing with Siog, it is a common Irish name, not a made up Utah name. No more strange than Liam or Sean.

Date: January 04, 2013 09:27AM

In my experience, you'll usually find at least one barman named Declan in any Irish pub you pop into.

It's pronounced DEK-lan, emphasis (as is usual in Irish names) on the first syllable.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 09:48AM

It's certainly a step up from that DeVaughn/LeGrande silliness.

Date: January 04, 2013 10:45PM

Liam is nowhere near as commonplace in our culture as Sean.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:41PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:50PM

Liam is on the list of popular popular boy names so it is.obviously growing in popularity

Date: January 04, 2013 11:53PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 12:39AM by bona dea.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 09:58AM

I consider Declan a good example of this as are Redcloud and Chadambram.

Date: January 04, 2013 10:03AM

Really? Obviously, to each his own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 10:06AM by Lorraine aka síóg.

Posted by: UJPUV ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 03:43PM

that are quite common in the US..but this isn't one of them. No doubt that there are names with a US origin that would sound equally odd in the Irish culture...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:49PM

Not everyone will like the same music, colors, foods, or names. Having differing likes and dislikes does not incicate or require the good old mormon standard accusation of ***offense.***

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 12:50PM

Personally, I love the name Declan. I lived in Ireland for five years and knew a few Declans there, including one guy who was incredibly hot. :-)

Also, I give the OP's relatives credit for choosing an Irish FIRST name for their child, as opposed to the trend for the last several years of Americans bestowing Irish (and Scottish) surnames as first names on their children: Kennedy, MacKenzie, Darcy, Brady, etc.--even when they have no Irish or Scottish ancestry. I personally don't care what people choose to name their kids, but friends in Ireland and Scotland I've talked to find that practice ludicrous.

Date: January 04, 2013 12:58PM

Agree on both counts.

Where/when did you live in Ireland?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 11:42PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 12:31AM

Lorraine aka síóg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agree on both counts.
>
> Where/when did you live in Ireland?

Hi Lorraine, I lived in Dublin from about 1995 through 2000.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:06PM

Having known several, I don't see any issues with the name.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 01:32PM

I love the name Declan. But then I'm half Irish and have a completely Irish/Gaelic real name, so I've always been partial to similar names.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 02:29PM

I've known several Declans, most of them Irish, none of them Mormon.

Posted by: johnsmithson ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 02:31PM

Don't know much about it, but I see on the Internet that Declan is a Catholic Saint, like Saint Patrick.

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 02:43PM

LOVE the Irish name Declan. I suggested it for a MO relative, but she insisted on Damien. Trust me, "Damien" fit for various reasons.

Date: January 04, 2013 03:41PM

It is an Irish name and has nothing thorough Mormons or Utah I like it

Posted by: Papa ken ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 03:46PM

How about the (LD$) family with 14 kids. The 15th was born, a boy, and the parents named him:

Justin Other Jones

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 03:56PM

Declan McManus is one of my all time favorite musicians. His first record in 1977 is seminal/brilliant.

Oh, better known as Elvis Costello. Still a good name though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 03:57PM by iflewover.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 10:39PM

I like it. Sounds very masculine. I like all names tho. Even those Bible and BOM mormon ones are ok by me.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:18PM

I'll tell you which name has to stop: ZANDER. MY tbm homely ass stepsisters named her boys zander and Dexter. Ooh, yeah, x's and Z's are so cool and geek chic! Gag.

Posted by: cinnamont ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:26PM

Then last year, my cousin's wife named their boy, Zander. Trying too hard to be trendy.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:44PM

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: January 04, 2013 11:28PM

All of you who believe parents should be restricted in the names they choose for their children should move to Iceland. There the government has a list of over a thousand boy names and over a thousand girl names. Every child born in the country must be given a name from this list. Currently, a girl is challenging the law; her name means "Little breeze" in Icelandic and she thinks it's a fine name. The matter is going to court.

Controlling names has to be the ultimate nanny state stupidity. It probably reflects the desire of most Americans to be just like everyone else--same style clothes, hair, etc. Long live originality!

Date: January 05, 2013 12:07AM

As long as a name isn't going to cause a child to be ridiculed it is really no one' s business what someone names their kid. Tastes differ. Declan is different now, but by the time the kid is in school it could be the top name. I have heard of a Merry Christmas and a Dick Balls. Those kids will have problems,but Declan should be okay. I taught in a private school for a while. There were a lot of foreign kids whose names were different for Americans such as Kushiboo, Apostoli and Elpitha Those kids were accepted by their American peers. It didn't seem to be an issue

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.