Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 07:27PM

Just encase anybody is interested about these GAs that've been released, here's an article detailing which ones:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700070458/Five-Mormon-Church-leaders-given-emeritus-status.html

"SALT LAKE CITY — Five members of the LDS Church's Quorums of the Seventy were released and designated emeritus general authorities in the Saturday afternoon session of the church's general conference.

Elders Spencer J. Condie, Bruce C. Hafen, Kenneth Johnson, Glenn L. Pace and Lance B. Wickman — all serving in the First Quorum of the Seventy — were released and given emeritus status in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Others released Saturday afternoon were Elders Spencer V. Jones and Wolfgang H. Paul of the Second Quorum of the Seventy and two Area Seventies, Elders Fernando Maluenda and Jose L. Torres.

With most of the leadership changes conducted earlier in the April conference, Elder Wenceslao H. Svec, 53, of Talca, Chile, was sustained Saturday afternoon as an Area Seventy. Currently serving as a Church Education System coordinator of seminaries and institutes and a former president of the Talca Chile Stake, he and his wife, Alicia, are the parents of four children."

I think President Condie is the most famous out of all those, due to his book and everything. I know most people probably won't care about this, but both Kenneth Johnson and Spencer J. Condie have been in the same ward as me, so I know both quite well, and it's strange that they've been released. To be honest, they've both very nice guys. Kenneth Johnson's wife was quite close with us too, because his wife used to do visiting teaching with my mum, and she directed the ward choir, which I was in.

I was hoping they'd climb the ranks and become apostles, just because I know then. Jeffrey R. Holland has also been in the same ward as me though, so I think I've got my fair share. It is funny though, how GAs all seem to know each other like that.

Anybody know the other released GAs, or anything about them? Also, I'm interested to know if anybody knows about the new Area Seventy, Elder Wenceslao H. Svec. Area Seventies nearly always get called in the April Conference, so I'm wondering what the special reason is that he's getting called now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 08:10PM

I believe 70s receive salaries....or modest living allowances as they are called in the Mormon lexicon. Showing these old guys the door is probably a cost saving measure. Most organizations call this a 'RIF' or 'TLOW' but I guess in Mormondumb they raise they arms as a vote of thanks as they show them to door.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.