Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 06:19PM

I've noticed a lot of Americans posting on many sites type "Ya". Is this a common thing among people with German ancestors or is it common to say "ya", assuming "ya" rhymes with "bra". I only read these posts.

Just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 06:22PM

inability to spell.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 06:24PM

Pfft!!!

It's easier to text "ya" than it is to text "yeah."

Date: January 09, 2013 06:27PM

And don't get me started on "loose"

Date: January 09, 2013 06:29PM

What nationality are you, out of curiosity?

Date: January 09, 2013 06:30PM

Date: January 09, 2013 06:32PM

so that's why the emphasis.
I think it has a lot to do with the dumbing down of American education... and, as you suggested, the whole electronic culture where young people in particular seem to have forgotten how to actually write the English language.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 07:36PM

Dumbing down? Interesting. What exactly about lose vs loose or yeah vs ya (or yay) indicates that people are more dumb now than they were before?

Posted by: James Mitchell ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:41PM

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 07:27PM

guilty! I also cannot spell exercize (that thing thin, healthy people do that makes them sweat)

Posted by: southern should login ( )

I think it's generally just lazy typing. Or sometimes you will hear snarky California girls with gum in their mouths say, "Ya, well blah blah blah" It adds a certain careless tone to the sentence.

But I can assure you that in the southern US we still say "yeah" and I'm pretty it takes about three syllables to do it :P

Date: January 09, 2013 07:34PM

It is nothing like lazy typing. Human language changes and it makes sense given first world culture's switch to typing and texting that it would change in exactly the way it is right now.

Abbreviations and alternate spellings aren't lazy, they are natural. On the other hand, there is no benefit, morality or practicality associated with good or traditional spelling (or grammar).

Posted by: srena not logged in ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 06:33PM

Lots of Americans can't spell or just don't bother to try. I'm sure in speech they say "yeah", and not the quasi-European ya or ja, unless they're from parts of Minnesota, for instance.

It's one of my pet peeves, along with adding an apostrophe s when making a word plural, and making a verb act as a noun. Corporate jargon is so irritating.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 06:49PM

The other day I was replying to a text using the voice to text option. I said "well, get ready because I'll be there in 10 minutes." What the phone turned it into was "well get ready cuz I'm going to be there in 10 mintues"

Cuz. Really?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 06:50PM

I spent 4 years in Vienna, learning German, so I said "ja" for "yes" or "yeah."

Then we went to Montreal, where I was introduced to the school principal, and I said "ja" for "yes." He said to my mom, "When a student is talking to a principal, he should not say 'yeah' when he means 'yes'."

My mom was quite embarrassed, but I quickly defended myself, saying "It's GERMAN for 'yes'."

Anyway, ya is perfectly fine with me on the 'net.

And I used to think that no apostrophes were required when it was merely to designate plurality. But I learned that it's ok to use an apostrophe when there are more than one letter, such as "how many s's are there in Mississippi?"

So, some American's r lazy, but not all American's r.

:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 07:23PM by PapaKen.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 06:58PM

For the love of God people, Americans aren't anymore or less educated than the rest of the first world. The truncation of words, and traditional misspellings don't just exist in North America.

Date: January 09, 2013 07:05PM

+1

And despite the way they pronounce it in some countries, there is no second "R" in "drawings."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 07:05PM by resipsaloquitur.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:28PM

NO "r" in wash.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 07:06PM

I hate the your/you're and they're/there screw ups. I've seen billboards in Australia with "your 5 minutes away from......". Aaaarrgh!

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 07:24PM

They don't say ya in Pennsylvania.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 07:56PM

They do among the "Pennsylvania Dutch", the Amish folks. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 07:25PM

We still say, "yeah," but sometimes you'll hear younger people say ya/ja in a playful or sarcastic way. So I'm not sure about the spelling. Spelling tends to follow reading, and I'm sure everyone sees "yeah" in young adult and adult novels.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 07:29PM

I still type yea, instead of yay, and yeah, instead of ya, but I've noticed that I'm quite outnumbered in most places I go on-line.

Date: January 09, 2013 07:31PM

Nobody says ya (rhyming with bra) in America. It is just a shortened form of yeah (/jæ/).

Date: January 09, 2013 07:48PM

snb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobody says ya (rhyming with bra) in America.

You must not hang around a lot of middle schoolers. They make a game of zinging it back and forth with one another.

Date: January 09, 2013 07:52PM

I spend most every day of my life around 200+ middle schoolers. I've never heard them use ya (ie, /jɑ/) in any part of their language. Though, if they had a whip and pretended the other student were a horse... :)

I'll admit that I was a bit too quick to claim that NOBODY in America uses it. Most likely there is some group somewhere in this country that has that sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 07:53PM by snb.

Date: January 09, 2013 07:55PM

True that. Colloquialisms vary even within a few dozen miles.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:04PM

My son's karate teacher has a pet peeve about saying "Yeah" instead of "Yes". Her students must say "Yes" or they're on the floor doing push-ups. I say "Yeah" all the time and hope she doesn't catch me saying it!

Oh, and as for your question, I haven't heard or seen "Ya" being used in my area (NJ).

Posted by: james ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:40PM

In about the same way that Americans switched from saying "yes" to saying "yeah." The language evolves toward minimalism. People texting "ya" today are no more lazy than the folks who first started saying "yeah" instead of "yes." I can guarantee that there were people saying that Americans who said "yeah" instead of "yes" were just being ignorant and lazy.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:48PM

Austin Powers helped things along: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTB4Si_HiOo

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:53PM

But the true source of the colloquialism was the movie Fargo released in 1996: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF3z-j8o39I

After this movie came out, EVERYONE was saying "ya" and "you betcha".

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:50PM

Sounds Swedish or German. Lots of people do it and I can't stand it.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:11PM

My mother's family were ethnic Germans who spoke German at home, and so did most of their neighbors. The midwest is full of Germans, and Scandinavians; they are the overwhelming majority in some areas. It only sounds strange if you are from an area with predominantly English ancestry.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 03:14PM by atheist&happy:-).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.