Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:54PM

I'm sitting here scratching my head. It seems like everything the church does is geared toward improving the bottom line. - Every Member a Janitor, the Mall, the reduction in age requirements for missionaries, all but demanding old people serve missions doing work they used to pay for etc. etc. etc.

How does the 2 year TR fit in to the money grubbing model? Is it just to reduce the expenses on the new bar coded recommends? Does going high tech really cost that much? When they first made the announcement the claim was made that it would reduce the work load on bishops...sorry, laughing too hard and tha idea that they give a shit about the workload on a bishop.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 03:00PM

From a business perspective this allows someone to keep up external appearances of activity without having to force a bishop to cancel the recommend.

Paying tithing might be obvious to a TBM wife or husband, but rejection of false doctrines, leaders, JS, BoM--"moral" issues like homosexuality, sexual violations, and WoW--those can be hidden from spouse and family, but perhaps the person thought or hoped they could discuss these things with a Mormon bishop in seeking spiritual counsel and support. It's one way the 15 can control TBM bishops and Stake Presidents from accelerating the excommunication or resignations of Mormons struggling with the cult, but still paying tithes and participating to keep up appearances.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 03:04PM

They did a cost analysis and determined that the drop in tithing revenue would be offset by the lowered maintenance costs of temples and ward buildings. That and they still retained the right to yank a TR at any time for lack of tithing receipts.

Their projections showed a continued increase in profits.

Posted by: intjsegry ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 08:01PM

just curious, is this inside info, or just an opinion?

Posted by: jacob nli ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 08:45PM

Satire, or something resembling it.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 07:58PM

While they may have reduced TR interviews to every two years, the most important thing remains 1 1/2 times per year. In other words, tithing ($$) is annually in tithing settlement (sounds like the damn IRS) and then again every other year.

So, money is addressed 1 1/2 times per year, while ALL OTHER worthiness issues are addressed 1/2 time per year.

Do I need to state the obvious, or will this do??

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 08:11PM

There has actually been a movement among "the brethren" to attempt to lighten the load the church is placing on families. It is a concerted effort that has impacted multiple changes.

They seem to especially to be trying to reduce the load from bishops - which is the primary reason for this change, I believe.

The new handbook of instructions outlined a number of changes in an attempt to do this. For example when it came out I was EQP at the time and the monthly welfare meeting was immediately gone.

From what I've seen Russell Ballard is leading the charge on this, but I could be wrong.

---

As far as the motive you could figure this are flawed humans that are trying to do something good in this case.

Or you could believe that their primary objective is to grow the church and recognize that putting to heavy of a load on the members will eventually break them. So they may feel it is a strategic move to attempt to keep more people in - internal marketing if you will.

I personally believe it is a combination of the two.

---

My personal opinion is the leaders of the church care more about church growth and power than they do about money. Money is a secondary objective to growing the church and increasing it's power.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 08:21PM by bc.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 08:19PM

I'm pretty sure most of the Bps, SPs were relieved by the change; isn't a TRIQ about the most time-consuming thing they do?

Not to mention the anguish of deciding who's 'Worthy' & who 'isn't'

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 08:29PM

My TR interviews - except when I answered other than the desired yeses and nos - lasted about three minutes. If they had kept to the annual interviews I would certainly have been out earlier. I finally told the bishop what I believed and he yanked the TR on the spot. Didn't faze me at all.

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 10:50PM

my bishop has not given an interview for the temple in years unless its your first one or you are going to die. one of the counselors does the interview freeing the bishop for more pressing matters, what i am not certain. what i know for certain is they have less and less time for the senior members of the ward, but we pay less, do less and are just waiting to die.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 10:52PM

It's so members have more time for toilet scrubbing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.