Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pandora ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 04:57PM

more than the general population? Or does everybody lie and mormons are no exception (like they pretend to be)? I have been told some real whoppers by mormons but most of the people I know are mormon so that isn't a very scientific observation. I was just reading the whole Te'o thing and yesterday I got an email from a women who used to be in my ward that was so full of lies I laughed so hard water came out my nose. I love the way they think they will never get caught.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:01PM

Mormons rarely lie when they are sleeping.

My Mom always noted as a young boy that I was very truthful. She always complimented me on my integrity. I was wired this way from the very start.

Then came the teenage years and masturbation. Even though I could never quite understand what was so bad about it, I knew it was a major sin. So I was caught in an ongoing cycle of either lying and hiding it or being shamed and punished. I would spend months/years lying or at least hiding it then break down and confess again. I humiliated myself in front of a number of bishops and a couple mission presidents.

The cycle continued - shame, guilt, lie confess. All for something that was never even wrong in the first place.

The church taught me that to tell the truth I got punished and hurt.

The church taught me to lie. I'm pretty good at it now - I was a very very honest little boy before the church got to me.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:19PM

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons rarely lie when they are sleeping.
>
Love it bc - you are so funny.

I think Mormons are so used to thinking they should get credit for the virtues they claim and the virtues the Mormon church espouses, that they don't worry about actually having the virtues. Also, the image is more important than character in Mormonism so if it takes a lie to make them feel like perfect Morgbots, then it's OK. If anyone points out they are lying, it's because the person is a hateful anti-Mormon anyway. They think they haven't done anything wrong.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:33PM

A religion that employs public shaming, makes sure everyone knows you are "unworthy" even to the point of exclusion from children's weddings, and puts a lot of emphasis on visible commandments like sabbath day observance & not smoking is pretty much guaranteed to have a parallel culture where image matters a lot - and where you do what you do to protect that image.

The whole "avoid the appearance of evil", "convert through example", etc. set of cliche's doesn't help either.

I've mentioned it several times before, but I knew at least two bishops well that very seriously equated how a man dressed with his spiritual health - suit - doing great, long sleeved - white shirt - A OK, colored shirt - whoa nelly!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 05:33PM by bc.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 12:51AM

So, are you gay now?

Posted by: absentminded ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:14PM

I think everyone lies. I lie sometimes. I prefer to tell the truth though, mostly because I think it is fun.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:25PM

They must parse answers to place the morg in the best light and to draw in possible converts and cement new members. ALL missionaries are forced to lie and every member is expected to to do mishie work.

Mormons lie about being happy when they're sad and frustrated. They lie about loving and missing people they can't stand. They exaggerate testimony stories to impress and draw in listeners. They twist facts and embelish and don't consider it lying if they think the end justifies the means.

Posted by: 2humble4u ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:28PM

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 11:59PM

But...how..can that be??? does not make sense...

Norman! coordinate!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:28PM

When I first moved to Utah, I was flabbergasted by how many people recommended telling lies as a matter of course. I was also blown away as to how often they would recommend it. Pretty much killed any thought of trusting those people. They seem to trust each other, but I wouldn't.

Posted by: Exmodude ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:40PM

Proly less than the average.

Posted by: Sekhemhealer ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 05:56PM

The culture encourages lying to fit in. It discourages people being truthful and being their authentic selves.

Like a previous poster, I think I was a naturally truthful person and that clashed with TSCC. I confessed to masturbation many times because I was honestly seeking to please God. I have had a bishop tell me that my confession was the most detailed he had ever heard. I have been in the bishops office many many times to confess my sins.

I am absolutely convinced that most Morbots lie. They lie about their worthiness and lie to themselves. Most Morbots are lying to themselves about the fraud of TSCC. They know subconsciously that it is bunch of BS. TSCC is based on lies and lying for The Lord is the norm.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 06:03PM

A temple recommend is really a liar's certificate.

Posted by: pandora ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 06:10PM

I agree. I have had several friends ask me why I wont just be a social mormon. When I explain to them that I wont go and lie to the bishop so that I can see my own children get married they look at me like I have two heads.

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 06:24PM

I don't know if mormons lie more than others, but in my experience, mormons at least look sheepish when caught whereas some others don't seem to think they've done anything wrong. Incidentally, I just had a former member of a stake presidency lie to me on a transaction worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I should have called him out on it, but I felt more disgusted than angry and decided not to prolong our interaction.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 06:28PM

Good points. I can honestly say that i am happier now than before.

Posted by: Cymorg ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 06:33PM

No I don't lie...
And I'm a mormon

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 07:24PM

I "know" that>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
That is a lie!

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 10:59PM

I'm sure some do and some don't, just like everybody else, but the only pathological liar I've ever known is a TBM with asolutely no concience about lying or making strategic omissions and then telling himself (and others) that he told the truth. The problem definitely does stem from the cult.

Not that it's an excuse, but people have to be able to truthful with themselves in order to be able to be truthful with anyone else, and that can be a challenge to someone whose entire existence has always been judged and criticized.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 12:05AM

I don't think you can be a recommend holding mormon for very long without also lying. It's built into the system.

The problem is, you have to lie about things that most people don't view as a sin. So, you lie. Then comes the guilt, then comes anxiety, depression, more guilt. It's a lifetime condition.

I can't think of one single mormon that hasn't lied to get a recommend. NOT ONE. It's part of the culture.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 12:38AM

mormons lie to themselves, over and over just to hold on to the belief

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.