Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lovenlife ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 10:02AM

former Bishop current Pocatello Idaho Weststake Stake Pres Carl B. Holm charged with Five Felony counts of Medicaid fraud and one count of grand theft. This was found on the front page of the Idaho State Journal published on January 12,2013. Interesting to see how he will be judged??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 10:06AM

The Government doesn't mess around when it comes to Medicaid fraud (and rightly so). And they don't charge someone until they've built a strong case with lots of damning evidence. Expect that SP to pay hefty fines and possible jail time.

Posted by: Exmodude ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 10:15AM

When a SP, Bishop, or GA go to "spirit prison"

Posted by: lovenlife ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 02:15PM

It was put on record that a potential plea agreement had been reached, the agreement calls for HOLM to plead guilty to one count of medicaid fraud. Prosecutors would dismiss the other 5 felony counts. THREE years of probation and pay $10,000 in restitution. I would bet on what church the prosecutor is a member of. Do or could you imagine how one of us would be treated. Will this so called RIGHTEOUS MAN be called into a so called circus COURT OF LOVE ???? What really would happen to one of us if we got caught doing what this dentist did ? I think that he he should pay back the $90,000 that he took from us taxpayers plus go to Jail then have his church membership taken from him. Where is the LDS church on this one anyway?

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 02:29PM

What's the story? Stole from patients or with his own family dependants?

Posted by: dissonanceresolved ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 02:43PM

I'm not an attorney, but I did work at a court for about 9 years. A good number of times the defendant would plead to one charge and other charges would be nolle prossed. Plea deals move cases through the court in a timely manner; probation allows the jails to hold the more violent prisoners instead of the non-violent - which saves taxpayers money. I'm not saying it's "fair" or anything, just practical.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 05:06PM

The damage to all of us by the "non-violent" far exceeds that of the violent offenders. We should especially lock up those who have held themselves as righteous. Bank losses, for example, end up making loans available for everyone. Scams that steal for people's pensions etc etc are really hideous crimes.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 02:49PM

I wonder why so many judges recused themselves . . .

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 03:36PM

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/62678/New-stake-presidents.html

POCATELLO IDAHO WEST STAKE: (Aug. 18, 2012) President — Carl Brett Holm, 41, dentist; succeeding R. Mark Blanscett; wife, Ruby Elene Tolman Holm. Counselors — Russell L. Butler, 50, instructor at Idaho State University; wife, Shalee Pulley Butler. Kenneth Lynn Sparrow, 56, design drafter; wife, Tamara Kay Shappart Sparrow.

This isn't the first time that the Brethren made an inspired choice in west Pocatello ;)

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/17675/New-stake-presidencies.html

IDAHO FALLS IDAHO EAGLE ROCK STAKE: (Dec. 13, 1987) Created by division of the Idaho Falls Idaho West Stake. President - Michael Dean Crapo, 36, attorney, former stake and ward Young Men president, bishop, teachers and deacons quorum adviser. Counselors - Kent Wade Foster, 46, attorney, former high councilor, stake Sunday School president, bishop's counselor, and Sunday School teacher; Douglas Milo Andrus Jr., 46, part owner of transportation company, former stake mission president, stake Young Men president's counselor, bishop's counselor, and ward Young Men president.

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 04:43PM

The article mentioned that he was arrested in August [2012]. It appears that he was made a SP on or about August 18, 2012. That is very bad timing for the LDS Church.

I wonder how his stake members reacted to the arrest of the recently sustained SP, and I wonder if he was immediately released?

Any information?

Posted by: better not say ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 04:59PM

Already had to give a deposition due to comments here about a similar case. But my observations over time indicate that it will probably not have any effect, church wise, on the individual. the LDS church seems to give fraud a free card.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 05:04PM

There are a lot of comments posted below the news article, comments from what are probably Carl Brett Holm's fellow mormons.

Some of the comments attempt to excuse or erase his unethical behavior by focusing on the small amount of the fine, noting that $7,300 of the fine is supposed to cover Medicaid fraud over a three-year period. Their logic is that such a small amount is certainly not worth committing fraud, and that therefore the $7,300 must represent accounting errors -- or some other innocent mistake.

Carl Brett Holm is being persecuted.

Yeah, right. The actual amount of Medicaid fraud documented is almost ten times what the doofus is being required to pay in fines. Holm's mormon friends fail at arithmetic.

The lengths to which mormons will go to excuse wrong-doing by a fellow church member, especially one in a leadership position, always astounds me.

Posted by: wmmms ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 06:15PM

He is being persecuted? That explains why he plead guilty:)

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: January 18, 2013 05:30PM

Such fraud seems to permeate the dental community everywhere.

I remember the daughter of a church aquaintance in CA quitting one job because the dentist was so unethical with billing.
So she hired on at a Mormon dentist and he was doing similar stuff.

Apparently govt agencies are getting wise to the spiel,though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.