Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 09:14AM

Rumors have floated around our family for years regarding the magic underwear.

One of my relatives was killed in a plane crash. I remember hearing tales that his body was not damaged where the garmies covered it.

Of course, I also know that he was not in one piece at the funeral.

Come to think of it; I don't know why he woulda had garments on in the first place. He was 22 and hadn't been on the mish yet.

What's goin on around here?

Breedum

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 09:45AM

I got a personal one, caught my dads legs between a tractor bucket and the back of a truck. said the reason he was ok after was because it hit above the g line

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 09:49AM

The rumors started immediately that there were no marks at all on the parts of his body covered by the "g"s.

Gosh, God, couldn't you have extended your grace just a little bit further and kept all of him safe?

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 04:03PM

A punishment from God for abbreviating the divinely revealed pattern.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 11:30AM

He probably fell asleep because he was following the WoW and wouldn't drink a cup of java.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 09:55AM

I have a great great grandfather that I know very little about. The only reference to him I have is in my grandmother's journal, where she related a story of him being thrown from a horse into a barb wire fence. He was unharmed everywhere that was covered by his garments. If there was one thing from his life that he would want to be remembered for, I have a feeling it wasn't that.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 10:13AM

Well apparently some people in my ward know your family (sarcasm) because I have also heard that story, and several variations on it. I would also like to point out, as others have, that it doesn't matter how perfect the skin covered by garments is on a dead body. A fat lot of good that does!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:58PM

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 04:00PM

It didn't work because there was no priesthood holder in the underwear. The dirt hadn't been to the temple to get its endowments, yet.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 06:37PM

So... repeat the experiment with a priesthood holder in the garmies

Date: January 22, 2013 02:37PM

Sounds good to me...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 05:51PM

OMG, I can't believe the comments from Mormons in that one.

Date: January 20, 2013 03:57PM

Having been 'saved' by the trauma plate of a kevlar vest, I think I'll stick with kevlar...

If the underwear was bulletproof, I wonder why they didn't recruit more priesthood holders to go to middle east to fight?

Why are those guys carrying around 40lbs of dragon skin body armor?

Or M4 rifles? Shouldn't they just have javelins?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 03:59PM by John_Lyle.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 04:15PM

My husband witnessed one (and he has never been LDS). He was working and some pressurized cans blew up. The member didn't normally where his garments, but for some reason had decided to wear them that day. The shrapnel would have gotten an artery in his leg if he hadn't been wearing them.

This wasn't some magical protection, of course. It's just that the extra material stopped it. Still, pretty impressive.

Posted by: pronto285 ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 04:48PM

That seems... dubious. Having been around a few pressurised cans that blew up (mainly 3.5 oz tanks of compressed co2, i can say that its extremely unlikely that a thin layer like that would stop a flying piece of metal, especially one going fast enough as to otherwise hit the (im assuming) femotal artery. Not impossible. Just seems unlikely.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 04:55PM

It does seem unlikely, but that's what happened. This story is mild compared to many of the ones you normally hear. Also, keep in mind my husband is a nevermo, so there'd really be no reason for him to make this up. But, you know, take it or leave it. Not really that important.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 07:30PM

When I was a kid, a man in our stake was hit by a car. The car pinned him against a tree. The car hit just below his garment line. My mom made sure we knew that he was protected above the garment line.

Made no sense to me. "Um, he still died."

She didn't have a response.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 08:25PM

My father was in a car accident when I was young.
He had a broken back, and hip. No garmie stories there.

He's just lucky he lived through it. The guy driving had no garmies on. He didn't have a scratch on him.

I never heard a single faith promoting story about that incident.

My parents had a friend who was in a fire accident at work. His arm and neck were badly burnt. All kinds of garmie stories around that one. The fire stopped at the edge of his shirt sleeve. Never mind that flammables were involved. They splashed onto his bare arm, his shirt, and his neck. That was what burnt. People lose their common sense when they make these stories up.

Posted by: buddayochristian ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 09:34PM

yeah, when I was a child, missionaries were visiting a member's home when the furnace blew up. All were KILLED...but the missionaries,"didn't have a scratch" where their garments were...hmmm... did I mention that they were KILLED?

Posted by: YesVirginia ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 03:31AM

Back in the late '60s, two fellow missionaries were visiting a family in Bowling Green KY when a gas pocket under the house exploded. As I recall, two people were killed, but Elders Velinga and Storrs received only flash burns. They remained in the mission as testimony that garments save. I saw them at at a mission conference afterward, wearing dark glasses, recounting their story.

I guess it works.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 04:29AM

They are self-fulfilling events. People have amazing stories like that all the time BUT if it happens in a certain instance, it is automatically because of that instance. (plus, out of everything that can kill you, the chances of anything seriously damaging your underwear is highly unlikely in most situations anyway)

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 12:54PM

My MIL tells a story about a relative who was in a small plane crash. Apparently he was the only LDS person on board, and the only survivor. I guess when the doctors cut his clothes off for surgery, they saw the garments and realized he wasn't burned or cut where they touched. MIL says at that moment, they realized he was saved because he was LDS.

The first time I heard this story, I had just gone through the temple. I think MIL was trying to get me all pumped up about my new underwear. Instead, the first thing I thought of was how mortified I'd be if someone had to cut my clothes off and they saw my ridiculous G's. Also, the thought that God apparently only bothered to save the righteous LDS man in the crash really bothered me.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:21PM

Maybe that's why they used to wear long garmies, what a load of bs

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 02:37PM

I think that an LDS guy serving in Vietnam was in an explosion in which he lost both arms and both of his legs below the knee, thus proving that the garment protected the rest of his body.

Posted by: johnsmithson ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 05:26PM

Bill Marriott claims that his garments protected him from a boat fire. You can see Mike Wallace hiding a grin as Marriott tells the story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1VHMQmAUw I had to laugh myself.

I have looked for, but never found, any teaching of the Mormon Church that garments protect people from harm. These stories seem like folk tales, not anything doctrinal. Anyone know of any word from the Church on this?

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 05:58PM

johnsmithson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I have looked for, but never found, any teaching
> of the Mormon Church that garments protect people
> from harm. These stories seem like folk tales, not
> anything doctrinal. Anyone know of any word from
> the Church on this?

It comes from the endowment ceremony:

"....You have had a Garment placed upon you, which you were informed represents the garment given to Adam and Eve when they were found naked in the garden of Eden, and which is called the “Garment of the Holy Priesthood." This you were instructed to wear throughout your life. You were informed that it will be a shield and a protection to you inasmuch as you do not defile it, and if you are true and faithful to your covenants...."

When confronted with this fact, apologetic Mormons will deny that it means physical protection, but all Mormons love to hear stories about the physical protection of the magic underwear. Mormons point out that Horny Joe and his brother did not wear the gs in Carthage but Willard Richards did wear them and was unscathed.

Marshall

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 06:07PM by No Mo.

Posted by: johnsmithson ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 07:06PM

Thanks, that must be it. That language--a shield and protection--must be the basis for these stories.

Even if Hyrum Smith had worn his garments, it would not have helped. He was shot in the face.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 11:26PM

I learned from my wet dreams in the MTC, that garments couldn't even stop ejaculating sperm. I don't see them standing much chance against a heavier, more solid load fired under even greater pressure.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 09:27AM

FCD:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HEHEHEHEHE

Posted by: Cantdoit ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 02:33AM

The only way garments could remotely protect against fire is if they were made from natural fibers i.e. cotton or wool. That could slow down a fire a bit... However if its a polyester or synthetic material those are going up like a tourch. They are petroleum biased. I used to wear the mesh one I'm pretty sure they were some kind of synthetic material. If they really wanted to make them protective they would be made with fire rated material. These undies really do exist for people who work around possible explosions.

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 03:10AM

I remember being on exchanges with a member of the ward. He served his mission in Detroit, Michigan. He told a story of how some guy opened fire and hit one of the elders, and he had to go to the hospital. My companion said "Awe man, you mean it didn't bounce off of him?" jokingly. Nope, bullet went right through the garments and left a bloody wound.

Moral of the story is; they ain't bullet proof!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.