Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 12:57PM

“Young women you will be the ones who will provide the example of virtuous womanhood and motherhood. You will continue to be virtuous lovely praiseworthy and of good report. You will also be the ones to provide an example of family life in a time when families are under attack, being redefined and disintegrating. You will understand your roles and your responsibilities and thus will see no need to lobby for rights.”

Elaine S. Dalton, LDS Young Women General President, January 15, 2013

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 12:58PM

It was all boring Mormon crap talk until:

"...and thus will see no need to lobby for rights.”

Huh?

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:05PM

If the girls behave well on the leash, setting the perfect example of living on the leash, why would they want to live free of it?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:02PM

still the "us vs. them" mentality.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:13PM

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:22PM

I picture her swinging a bright object on a chain as she said these words
... and now, when I count backwards from 5, you will wake up and feel only happiness as you remember my words...

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 05:13PM

+100

Date: January 20, 2013 01:27PM

You got all the rights you need. Now shut up !

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:46PM

Date: January 20, 2013 01:50PM

Good one ! *LOL*

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:52PM

go HOME & make Donuts, so they'll be FRESH when the guys get home from the Really Important Stuff!

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:34PM

Personally, I like un-virtuous, hot, kinky women... With a high self-esteem...

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:42PM

I guess they don't like the new drive to get women to be able to pray in GC. "Nice girls" just don't make trouble.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:00PM

Date: January 20, 2013 02:09PM

It's seriously screwed up that they are even thinking that a protest about pants and prayer will change anything. I'm sure that you will see a woman pray in GC in the not to distant future, but so what? What does that accomplish?

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:12PM

I see nothing wrong with trying to get some changes. At least awareness. Women will start getting upset and questioning...maybe even leave.

Date: January 20, 2013 02:18PM

True. At least it's being vocal, doing something, rather than continuing to act like sheep.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:56PM

Even as a (male) TBM, that would have been a major WTF. I can't believe they actually said that!

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:11PM

You would think with membership dropping the church would want more women in the workforce to bring in more tithes.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:19PM

This is so repulsive.

Is this from the church news or the ensign?

Date: January 20, 2013 02:27PM

It was from a BYU devotional.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:35PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:45PM

Yeah, it has to be the pants protest which sparked that remark. This is an organization which sweats all the small stuff. Stupid little details like if you wear pants or a dress, or have one or two holes in your ears. Geesh.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:48PM

This blew me away - first time I heard of it. I've been slowly "outing" myself on FB, trying to not be too...harsh or offensive (at least yet), but this...this is going on my wall now, along with a few choice comments. I'm going to lose some relationships, but this makes my head explode. It typifies the arrogant, demeaning, controlling attitude toward women (and a woman said it!). Surreal.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:58PM

It just shows that women are even nastier to each other than men are, as women were the most outspoken against the pants protest, and on Babycenter, women posters said that when a woman gives a talk at GC, they take a break from watching it as they would rather hear a man speak. It's women who say that if a woman wears pants, she wants to be a man.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 03:06PM

Really? That's hideous. I also think someone like Dalton would say this not only because she's been told to do so, but because she's not about to live at that level of misery and control by herself. Gotta have the ranks join you so you somehow feel validated. I can't run from this stuff fast enough now!

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 03:39PM

You women have the right to wash my clothes, clean my house and make me a sandwich, what more could you want? ;)

Seriously though WTF is wrong with these people. I could not in good conscience ever teach my daughters this horse sh*t.

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 03:44PM

This best be acknowledged by the so-called mormon feminists. I can't believe the outright gall.

Date: January 20, 2013 05:12PM

The fuck?
Another way of saying " Hey girlies!, If you don't bow to this veiled threat, if you don't get married AS A VIRGIN and you don't act as a doormat to all priestcrafthood holders, and if your many, many children & family aren't perfect:
It's ALL your fault!"

Yay churchco.
Fucking up women and girls, and everyone else involved, for 180 years.
Awesome.
Pardon me while I go vomit...

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 05:17PM

"You will understand your roles and your responsibilities and thus will see no need to lobby for rights.”

"You will understand your roles and your responsibilities and thus will see no need to lobby for rights.”

CAN SOMEONE REMIND ME WHY I THOUGHT THIS RELIGION WAS OKAY FOR SO LONG? Not,"You should" but YOU WILL. You do not need your rights because you know your place. I'm serious in saying this makes me a little ill.

Date: January 20, 2013 05:31PM

^^^this^^^^
Hey alta, can I copy this post to include on my pending facebook rant?

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 05:17PM

The worst part is that this talk/address/whatever was given by a woman. She knows better. There's no way she doesn't.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 05:25PM

Oh, s***! Did I say that out loud? ;oD

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 05:29PM

TSCC doesn't even have heroines in the BoM or its other special scriptures. JS even used the Book of Judith for First Nephi but had to have a male hero.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.