Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doug M. ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 07:08PM

I was recently in a conversation with a TBM and told her about the King James Bible translation errors that are found in the Book of Mormon.

Do you know what she said?

God put the King James Bible translation errors in the Book of Mormon to test peoples faith!!

W.T.F.

Anybody else had this kind of experience or similar when dealing with LDS apologists?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ralph ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 07:34PM

I was told by TBMs that "horses described in the Book of Mormon are really tapir"!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 07:44PM

The Bible was allowed by God to become corrupted so that The Book of Mormon would need to be brought forth.

Stupid. God needed his "other sheep not of this fold" to do hi work.

It is all just faithful speculations which along with useful Mormon truths don't add up to much.

Posted by: Sam Kimball ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 09:45PM

I was taught that....... the reason that we cannot find any archelogical evidence of a massive battle near Hill Cumorah(in upstate New York) is because there is another Hill Cumorah in South America where the actual massive battle that killed millions took place.... and that Moroni the last of the Nephites carried those very heavy golden plates to what is now known as Palyra in upstate New York and buried the golden plates in that hill.

are you bullsh*tting me? Moroni travelled hundreds of thousands of miles to upstate New York by himself to bury the golden plates in that particular hill???

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 12:54PM

Sam Kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
and that Moroni the last
> of the Nephites carried those very heavy golden
> plates to what is now known as Palyra in upstate
> New York and buried the golden plates in that
> hill.

And he did it without the use of wheels as FAIR said that the BOM people did not use the wheel as the terrain was too rough. So no wagon for Moroni, had to put them all on a knapsack on his back. How many wagonloads of gold plates did BY say was buried in Hill Cumorah?

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 09:49PM

Not to worry about my inactive husband because I would be REASSIGNED a new one for eternity. I said, "but i love him:. Too bad he is not worthy of you as the creep cuddled me. I was 25 with three little children.

Date: January 21, 2013 12:31PM

matilda Wrote:
> Not to worry about my inactive husband because I
> would be REASSIGNED a new one for eternity.

My wife has been hit on by a single TBM man at church. I took it as a compliment. My wife thinks I'll come around in the life to come.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 12:42PM

When asked why Joseph Smith married other men's wives (and after insisting that there was direct evidence that this actually occurred), the TBM asked me if I was willing to do whatever God asked, no matter how hard or wrong it seemed to me at the time.

I said no.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:01PM

My TBM college educated family really believes that there is a conspiracy among scientists and scholars to suppress the true evidence of the Book of Mormon. "Sciencism" is their enemy.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 07:32AM

I know TBMs who say this as well. What they don't realize is that mormonism is so irrelevant to the world at large. Why waste time debunking an obvious fraud? I don't think they give BOM claims any more consideration than the butt end of a joke. Yet the mormons persist in their conspiratorial thinking because mormonism consumes their individual worlds; mormonism is all that's relevant to them. They make the mistake of believing mormonism is that important to the rest of the world.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:03PM

The theory where men took on more wives so they could "protect" them as they crossed the plains. It wasn't about sex, all those poor widows needed support! I always used that argument when non-members confronted me about polygamy.

Then I actually read the commandment about raising seed, and realized how off I was. Plus, why should "supporting" poor women involve marrying them? Shouldn't the church be watching out for them to begin with?

I also love the excuse "it will all work itself our in Heaven" if the question is too hard to answer.

Date: January 21, 2013 01:08PM

WakingUpVegas Wrote:
> Plus, why should
> "supporting" poor women involve marrying them?
> Shouldn't the church be watching out for them to
> begin with?

Yep, and so now God, Our Heavenly Father has choosen Monson to do it. Isn't it about time?

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:20PM

This myth also hinges on the claim that there were so many women, that there weren't enough men to marry them all in normal, monogamous relationships. This is an outright lie. There were always more men than women in Utah for the entire time polygamy was practiced.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:40PM

There is a small grain of truth to that. Brigham Young and Heber C Kimball married most, if not all of Joseph Smith's widows. You can call it a semi-posthumous polyandry, if you will.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:15PM

dinosauers and other animals + plant fossils... were brought to earth from a different planet.

yeah Right.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 08:59AM

Ya, that one. Even as a TBM that seemed beyond silly.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:27PM

Here's a doozy from the Fair Wiki on the "doctrine" of polygamy.

"Joseph tried to teach the doctrine, but it was rejected by many Saints, including Emma, his wife. Joseph then began to teach the doctrine privately to those who would obey".

Poor Joseph. He was just trying to do Heavenly Father's will by teaching the doctrine "privately", to those who would "obey".

Such a faithful and obedient young man.

Posted by: BofA ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 06:43AM

My favorite Morg apologist lie is.... The Book of Abraham was really given to Joseph Smith by revelation from God... the Egyptian papyri scrolls were just a catalyst for revelation from God.

Posted by: 2humble4u ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 08:14AM

Science hasn't caught up to LDS doctrine yet. You just wait... In a few years, all the physics textbooks will be teaching that the Sun gets its heat and light from Kokaubeam.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 08:22AM

My mother told me once that Satan had been creeping around for the last 200 years, falsifying documents, and making Joseph Smith look bad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.