Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: doris ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 05:37PM

why do i feel like this ?when i feel ill and i have been, and my family have had some troubles ,why do i feel the need to pray .i so want to believe there is a God i am so confused the bloody mormons have realy messed with my head now im even doubting myself .i used to have so much faith not in the church but in God now i feel like i have lost it all ,and i am feeling quite low ,

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 05:52PM

For two or three years the beginning of a prayer would pop into my brain whenever I was in a tight spot. I think it was a programmed reaction and I'd tell myself not to waste the mental energy and the urge would fade. I do better now depending on my own resourses or asking real people for help when I'm in need.

Posted by: justsayin ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 05:52PM

Prayer is very comforting, and God imho is a totally separate entity from mormonism or any church. I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:07PM

Because it is comforting to be able to give away your problems to an all powerful being that will take care of it for you. It was super uncomfortable for me to realize that that was pointless, you'll get there eventually though, and it is ultimately liberating and empowering to realize that not only can you do things on your own, but you have been doing so this whole time, and you are capable of solving all your own issues. You were the one that caused all the "blessings" to happen in your life.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:13PM

I got very ill in December, and again in January, both of the illnesses were unrelated, but put me in a lot of pain. I also ended up in the hospital twice, during the second illness. It's the first time I've had to face something scary since leaving the church. I felt a void because I would have called for a blessing.

I asked advice of some exmo friends and they gave me great things to do the next time I get sick. Find some things that are comforting to you, good music, a walk outside (if you are able), reading inspiring thoughts, writing, art, and anything else you can think of. It will just take time to deprogram your conditioned response.

I've already done it in some ways, thanks to this board. I was tired of having hymns running through my head. One in particular was Praise to the Man. It was originally called Scotland the Brave. Now, I think of the true version of that tune instead of the hymn.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:13PM

Even if it is "to whom it may concern". Speaking our concerns and problems outloud can help focus the mind which will aide in finding solutions. You don't have to decide right now if you believe in a diety or not. That will come with time. I'm truly sorry that life sucks for you right now. Sending good healing vibes to you Doris. I hope you get them.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:31PM

Over and over the church taught you to fall on your knees in response to stress. As your reward, you got a little rush of happy-making brain chemicals.

Posted by: starkravingmad ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:41PM

To the OP - try meditation. Especially when you are stressed or feeling down. http://zenhabits.net/meditation-for-beginners-20-practical-tips-for-quieting-the-mind/

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:26AM

Habit from your internal thinking scripts. Change those scripts and your thinking will change.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 08:13AM

It goes away, but I went through that stage myself. It's definitely a habit. Try listening to some very calming music instead.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 08:21AM

Everybody has their own spiritual path to follow. You can believe in God and not be mormon. You can pray whenever and however you like. Meditation is also great. Maybe do some research and see what feels right to you!

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:44AM

Me, too. I went through a horrific crisis during the past year and a half with one of my kids. My natural instinct was to pray. I did initially, but then stopped because I realized how hypocritical it was, since I was not a believer anymore.

I can say that a year and a half later, after just working on strengthening the relationship with my kid and focusing on just loving him, things are 100% better. It has taught me that I haven't needed prayer, after all (which has come as a mixture of both delight and personal validation)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.