Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:08PM

See?

It works both ways.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (I'm aware that there is evidence for evolution, I'm simply observing that this works both ways...).

So just as I can't conclusively disprove God, you can't conclusively disprove evolution, either. In both bases there is an absence of evidence (the absence is just complete in the case of God--whereas there is actually evidence for evolution).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:16PM

Right, citizen. And you can't disprove Santa Claus either. So I believe that Jesus and Popeye are in the same category. Neither of those guys will show up for a disinterested third party interview.

Posted by: Scooter in San Diego ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:28PM

I had no idea what the fuck was being said.

Date: January 24, 2013 09:30PM

Really? No idea?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:38PM

I don't think your comment came out very clearly either - I'm not entirely sure what the point is you are trying to make.

Date: January 24, 2013 09:27PM

This is of course the fundamental problem with fantasy--all absences of evidence can be magically explained. You can't win--it is the ace in their hole, so to speak.

Of course, there is no credible evidence for God (all of God's mighty works and wonders have more reasonable, alternative explanations). Did you pray and it worked? Well within the realm of natural possibility (even probability).

When something truly supernatural and miraculous occurs that we all agree on as being impossible, then I will reassess this (all things possible with God, but most if not all of them not very probable, apparently). But everything God is supposedly responsible for is all quotidian anyway... Again, there are better explanations. If your best, alternative explanation to evolution is God, we have a problem (total cop out and you know it).

There is ample evidence against God (there have been academic studies to demonstrate that third-party prayer is ineffective etc.). I'm sure others can add plenty more examples of evidence against God.

Where does that leave God? In a precarious position, to say the least (but don't worry, He isn't real!).

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:33PM

You could disprove evolution in a hot second if you found fossils from animals of different ages in the same silt stratum. Hasn't happened. Meanwhile, evidence keeps accumulating in favor if evolution.

Date: January 24, 2013 09:35PM

My point exactly. You "could" do this or that, but you can't. Because such juxtaposed fossils have not been found in the same stratum.

You "could" prove God were responsible if He were to appear in power and majesty before everyone at the same time in violation of natural laws and claim responsibility for it and burn everybody who disagreed. But you can't, b/c it hasn't happened. And probably won't, either. Finding such juxtaposed fossils probably won't happen, either.

Posted by: smorg ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:11AM

citizen not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My point exactly. You "could" do this or that, but
> you can't. Because such juxtaposed fossils have
> not been found in the same stratum.

Except that he isn't playing semantic game like you are. You don't seem to understand when something is 'undisproveable'. A theistic god is not disprovable because theists fail to describe this 'god' in a way that would allow certain circumstances or experimental outcome to rule out the existence of 'god'. How does one disprove the existence of a Christian god, say, when Christians would interpret anything to mean 'god exists'. If A was asked for in a prayer and A is what happens, then they use that as proof that 'god exists'. If A was asked for in a prayer but B happens, then they say that god still exists but doesn't grant specific wishes or has other things in mind or whatever. Religious people tend to excuse failed prophesies and prayers, but credit this mysterious god for any prophesy or prayer that happen to match reality. If you try to apply this sort of 'I'll have the cake and eat it, too' mode of thinking in science, you'd be flunked out of school and laughed at by other scientists. In religions, however, this sort of intellectual dishonesty is celebrated as 'faith'... or some sort of virtuous dogmatic loyalty (unfortunately to a creed rather than to the truth or to the honest seek for the truth).

Evolution, on the other hand, can be disproven by MANY specific circumstances - including the finding of fossils in wrong strata (geological time periods). The fact that it is not disproven after so many specific studies and tests only strenghtens its case.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 09:34PM

Date: January 24, 2013 09:37PM

Thanks for the link. Awesome. Popper is a cool name.

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 10:13PM

Well – as an atheist you can prove that the God of all religions is not existing.
The God of the OT is not the same than the God in the NT.
Jesus became God via edict from the Pope in the year 512 und those new god had to be enforced among the Christians by religious prosecution, torture and death.

The Jews had worshiped multiple Gods, implemented by Moses was Yahweh, Ashterra und Taribum as Gods. I can prove it on their own scriptures.
Kings 18 1-4
I suggest always to read the entire chapter. King Hiska destroyed the Snake, the Ashterra Monuments and the Heights than Moses built to worship. Hay Heeelllloooo knock, knock on your screen what about Commandment # 1 and 3?
This God does not know what he wants.
Moses on the Mountain became the 10 commandments. His fellow Jews down Hill took Gold and built an fetish to worship. God was so angry because he did not know that they would do that and want to kill everyone. Moses was a little smarter than God and convinced God that God is wrong in killing all the people. So God saw that Moses was right and God wrong and did not kill the people down hill.
Well - the dust from hammering the commandments was not even disappeared and Moses slaughtered 3000 of his opponents.
How?- well I think based on he said and she said and finger pointing among each other. But Heellloooo knock, knock on the screen. God said you shall not kill! Was Moses higher than God?

Christ? Well read what he said on the Mautain when 5000 people came to listen. Mathew quotes pages over pages what Jesus said. So and than go to Paulus (Paul) and you will realize that Paul teachings are very different from the Jesus Quotes in Mathew.
The Tanakh or AT is only the Story of the Jews wars and their society in a small strip between the Nil and today Iraq.
I could go on until tomorrow.

But that’s only what the Bible itself said. To explain all this stuff you need to be a believer like believing in the BoM. It makes absolutely no sense. Theologically everything could be explained. Exactly the same way than Mormon Theology explains the BoM.
Read what it said, not what I say. You don’t need any science to prove your case. Pray over it and belly feelings. Hindus, Buddhists, Moslemists, Judaist have all the same proved.

But that only contained evidence that Religion or so called holy books has absolutely nothing to do with a God. If a book is right which one is it? Bible, Koran, Vede, Tanakh….?
I can not prove there is a God. I only can prove if there is a God he is absolutely in no Church or religion to find.

And now???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 10:20PM by buddyjoe.

Posted by: peeps ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:39AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objections_to_evolution

TL;DR
A statement can be falsifiable--you can conceive of and carry out a test of the statement--or not. Evolution makes predictions and assertions that are falsifiable. Therefor, it can be disproved.

Some of Darwin's original statements were disproven. The core assertions have not been.

Disproving God is not scientific b/c most commonly accepted statements about God aren't falsifiable.

I'm out of my depth here, someone back me up. I just wanted to point out falsifiability.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 08:06AM

Can U go to any Natural History museums, SL has a great one and see fifty different primate skulls, skulls dug up from Africa to neanderthals in Germany..That is beyond fact, they existed.
And god existed only within the boundaries of our skulls imagination. god never openly demonstrated it's presence to me or any cameras so far....

The facts of evolution is everywhere. It is so neat that our brains eyes attest the small increments of layers added through time...

Hey, people nowadays still believe Moon landing was hoax even though we have the pictures of unmistakable tracks and artifacts left behind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.