Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 08:21AM

I dreamed mormons were chasing me with saws and cleavers to chop me up and lock me in mummy cases. I turned on the mob and saw that they'd been chopped and mutilated. I was the only normal person and they had no power over me. After that I never went back to church.

My mormon mother had a near death experience. In fact she was reported as dead in the newspaper. She claimed to learn valuable lessons and saw many of her dead relatives at that time.

My husband also fell off his chair once with no heartbeat or breath. Fortunately, this happened where he worked which was a top notch hospital with emergency room experts a few feet away. He only remembers waking on the floor with his shirt cut open and circled by doctors and nurses around, also a crash cart with oxygen and electric shock equipment for starting hearts.

Any intersting or recurring mormon dreams? Were they helpful, hurtful or scary?

What about near death experiences? Two posters mentioned this yesterday, so there must be good stories out there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jobim ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 08:43AM

There is a famous (at least to me) NDE in one of Dr. Brian Weiss's books. He is a psychiatrist, and one of his colleagues who was a cardiologist told him one of his patients had a cardiac arrest in an ICU and had to be resuscitated. While they were working on her, she saw (from the outside of her body) the doctor drop a golden pen, and retrieve it from the floor. She mentioned it to the doctor after she woke, but what was more astonishing is that she had been blind for five years. She could see with her spiritual eyes, but not with her physical ones.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 09:11AM

I used to wake up sweating and shaking, having dreamed that I was stuck outside wearing only my garments. It wasn't until I saw this thread that I realized I haven't had that dream since I stopped wearing them.

Posted by: Ovaltine Jenkins ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:15PM

I used to have dreams like that too! I would dream I was at Harmon's shopping in only my dingy garments. People would look at me and shake their heads like I was really inappropriate, but instead of leaving I would finishing my shopping as fast as I could. Haven't had any dreams like that since I stopped wearing them. Those damn garments really did a number on me.

Posted by: sithlord ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 06:42PM

We had recently moved from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor in Wymount (BYU married housing) same building, different Quad. I was coming home late at night from a long day of engineering studies. I walked in the door to see a women wearing only garments cooking in my kitchen, but who happened to NOT be my wife. My first reaction was...what the hell is she doing in my apartment, my second reaction was...holy hell she is nearly naked, and my third reaction was...oh shit this is not my apartment. I apologized profusely as I hid my eyes and backed out of the apartment and went up another flight of stairs to my floor. They never said anything about it.

And oh, this was NOT a dream, it really happened!!

Date: January 25, 2013 10:00PM

I would've died a thousand deaths if anyone other than my husband had seen me in those hideous garments! How embarrassing.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 08:32AM

LOLOL......you musta been mortified! :)

just dying from laughter!!

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 10:07PM

My reoccuring dream/nightmare Mormon cult realization the Nephites are imaginary people & I can't ever find them.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 10:26PM

In her defense, she was covered from her neck to her knees.

Date: January 30, 2013 10:36PM

Holy crap! This church sounds like a nightmare!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 09:23AM

I've had this recurring dream for over 20 years now though it is finally happening less and less.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 02:24AM

I did that alot until I started investigating the history of the chruch, then it went away

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 10:14PM

I had that too, but only for the first year after my mission.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:43PM

I only remember some of it. I was standing looking in the bathroom mirror while tying my tie. DW walks in and asks where our son is. I shrug my shoulders and say I just tied his tie so he's probably getting his shoes. The girls trot down the hallway in their dresses. I am DEEPLY sad and depressed. I sigh thinking about spending another day at church and I don't remember the rest of it.

I haven't gone to church in over 13 years. No idea why this popped into my head. I didn't have kids or a wife while still mo.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:57PM

I dreamed that I was at a bar/restaurant getting drunk with the characters from How I Met Your Mother. Then my mom and a bunch of ladies from her ward walked in after a temple trip. My mom saw I was drinking and refused to talk to me or acknowledge me, but one of the other ladies came over and said "icedlatte, I heard you lost your temple recommend and stopped wearing garments." I responded "yeah, isn't it great?!?" Then I ordered a martini and made out with Ted.

Posted by: James Mitchell ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 01:14PM

I don't remember what the speaker was saying, but the room turned an ominous red color...like the only light came from a red fire in the room.

I got nervous and scooted my family off the pew. But as we started to leave the chapel the entire congregation started hissing at us and threatening us that there were monsters just outside the chapel doors, and we were as good as dead if we left.

I took my family out anyway and I was very afraid of the mosters outside. But when we got there (I hope this doesn't offend anyone), there was a dwarf dressed like a missionary, trying to push us back inside. I pushed him down and just thought, "This is the monster?" Then we left.

I had this dream just months after we left the Church, and it was the most symbolic and comforting dream I've had about the Church. My brain was really working to make sense of what was happening, I think.

Date: January 25, 2013 02:15PM

Date: January 25, 2013 03:18PM

Funny but scary too!! Interesting how something that is supposed to bring us so much joy and happiness wakes us up at night sweating and frantic instead.

Posted by: Exmododo ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 03:28PM

I keep having a reocurring dream where I am walking through the halls of my local chapel, just as the service is starting. But get this, I am in my temple garmies, and I'm embarrassed and dodging in and out of empty classrooms and doorways. I hate that dream. Somebody please interpret it for me. Make it stop.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:28PM

My mother told me of a strange vision while in the temple endowment sessions.

She sorta lost her vision like passing out but then instead of passing out she saw hundreds and hundreds of penis's dancing in the air in front of her eyes. Every color every shape and she said she had never seen other mens only my fathers.

She still has no idea what it was all about or what brought it on. She did say while TBM she felt that oppresion from the TBM men and wonders if that was the reason. Her mind screaming for her to get out or something.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:45PM

When I was in college and on my way out, I had a dream that my entire family was trying to force me to marry my cousin (who was getting ready to leave on his mission at the time) so I would stay in the church.

In the end, when I totally refused to do it, they pushed me (wearing a temple-ready wedding dress) in my sweet firebird off the end of a dock, and I woke up with cold sweats as the car and I were drifting down into the murky water.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 05:15PM

Good thing the beer store is close by!

Timothy

Date: January 25, 2013 05:28PM

My husband used to have dreams that he had died and couldn't find me. His exwife was there, but I wasn't. He would keep telling her he didn't want her, and to leave him alone, but she wouldn't leave. He would always wake up yelling my name.

I told him he was yelling the wrong name. We weren't sealed to each other, so he didn't know my temple name. I told him my temple name. He hasn't had that dream since then. I think it would be hilarious if he started yelling out my temple name.

Posted by: Artie ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 05:39PM

Before I had left the church, I had a dream of the second coming. I was in a great crowd of people, somewhat near the front, as Jesus appeared behind a roped off walkway accompanied by the Prophet and apostles. I was surprised and proud and humbled as he made eye contact with me and motioned for me to come forward to be with him. My mind was racing as to what he could want and what great signs and miracles would accompany his appearance. As I got close he says: "Pick a card, any card..." lol

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 06:24PM

My recurring dream was at home with my family and the gaping hole in the floor everyone was cautious around but didn't talk about. This was always me with my parental family. And I remember being worried about how dangerous it was and why nothing was being done about it. And sometime I would dream we moved to a new house but there was a hole there too. I haven't had it in years but looking back it symbolizes the proverbial elephant in the room no one talks about.

I also had those sleep paralysis dreams a lot where my body was on a table. I seemed to be on a table with lights and being looked at by doctors or something. Probably nothing to do with Mormonism. But I had a friend who insisted I was having alien abduction dreams. I wonder if it could have been a memory as a baby at the dr office.

I have had 2 dreams that later in real life seemed to happen. Interesting?

Finally shortly after I started visiting RFM-I had been inactive almost 20 years. I dreamt I was at a gathering of Mormons under a bridge by a river. Turned out to be the second coming. Everyone was dressed in the same sweat outfit and there was music like Hawaiian harmony's everywhere really pretty. And angels came down and talked to people. The angel that talked to me sounded like James Earl Jones but I dont remember what he said. Just that he handed me a t shirt that said, "I was at tge second coming."

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 09:01AM

I used to have a very similar dream when I was young, being examined under bright lights on a table. The dream was so real I asked many times about it being a memory of something. The dream would go on becoming less real and turn into my parents and relatives doing a tv show in their garments under the same lights. Something like To Tell the Truth.

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 08:13PM

When I was younger and the children were all little, I woke up in a sweat from a dream that seemed so real that for a while I wasn't sure if it was true or not. I had been dreaming that I suddenly remembered that before I was married in the temple I had already married someone else. With no divorce or annulment that meant that my marriage wasn't legal. I had to reason with myself that if I had married someone first I should have been able to remember who it was! But the feeling was so strong it really unsettled me.

I wonder if J.S. ever had trouble remembering whom he had married or whom he hadn't..

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 10:30PM

Around the time that they want to baptize me I had some very heavy dreams. Is still remember those dreams like would be yesterday.

I always was outside in front of the house. I jumped and jumped and when I could jump really high I could fly. The fly was a little unsecure but I flew always to a nearby park in the high trees. It was hard to land on a tree limb high up there. First I was always happy to made it. It seamed all so real. Than always the same. I became scared from the height and fall down from the tree. I woke up with a lout cry out before I hit the ground.
I was so scared from that dreams that I quit jumping for a long time.

Date: January 26, 2013 07:39AM

Having the new friends and experiences felt like flying until the flaws weight down a new convert and he/she crashes. Makes sense to me.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 08:25AM

I had a similar flying dream, only in mine I was always running from my dad in my long flannel nightgown at night in my bare feet. Always just barely out of his reach and if I ran fast enough and jumped just right I could fly away from him and instantly become invisible. I had this dream starting high school until just a couple of years ago when I learned how to change my dream while I was having it. At the time my dream happened I lived in Kearns, so I always flew to my refuge, the high school, to get away.

The other really strange dream was when my son was a little boy, nearly 30 years ago now. Satan had taken him into his lair and i went after him, telling him to take me but he could not have my son. Satan (or Stan, I like that better) took me up on that offer and let my son go. I remember feeling a whole lot of heat as Stan wrapped his cloak around me while at the same time I was watching the light from the entrance of the cave get farther and farther away as we went deeper into his lair.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 08:59AM

Red dot on forehead dream. This one had me (still a TBM at the time, but aware that I was gay) and my oldest sister, whom I adored, sort of receiving a designation of some sort: a glowing red light would fly around in the air, and land on our foreheads. Later when I woke up, I reasoned that it was God punishing me for being gay, and her for being so liberal.
Isn't there a scripture that talks about being marked on your forehead with red? Anyway, it scared me to death, and I've never mentioned to anyone - until now.

Aliens visit the earth. I dreamed I was standing in a public place with crowds of newly-arrived little alien creatures all over the area. The strange part was, I could identify 3 human beings, all of whom were taller than the aliens: Myself, my 2nd oldest sister (who was totally TBM), and Spencer Kimball.
AHA! I told her. See? The church ISN'T true after all! Spencer Kimball was trying to justify the presence of the aliens and still somehow be a leader. And my sister was just looking around with a very bewildered look on her face.

Posted by: Dreamer2 ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 09:04AM

I used to have really warm dreams about attending Church as though I was still a TBM.

Nevertheless, I resigned and I'm never going back.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 10:24PM

unless I count the two exmo characters (won't say which ones) who have recently joined the random celebrities in my crazy unemployed anxiety dreams. This is the last dream I remember having that was clearly Mormon related:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,642876,642876#msg-642876

And before that:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,176340

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 10:33PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 30, 2013 10:34PM

I've had a few nightmares about the temple since leaving. Actually, I had temple nightmares as a TBM, too. Hmmmm...anyway, in the worst one, I'm being sealed against my will to one of my TBM cousins, a guy who's a bishop and a total asshat. His real-life wife (who hates me) is still alive and I'm being sealed to him as a servant-concubine. The deal is that I take care of their children, do the housework, cook and of course have to perform wifely duties with my cousin as well.

Date: January 30, 2013 10:37PM

Holy crap! This church sounds like a nightmare! lol

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.