Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 06:56PM

(CNN) -- Chick-fil-A restaurants' philanthropic WinShape Foundation no longer funds the most controversial and politically charged anti-same-sex-marriage groups and has not since 2011, according to Campus Pride, a leading national LGBT campus organization.

Campus Pride issued a statement Monday claiming that Chick-fil-A gave the organization's executive director, Shane Windmeyer, access to WinShape's 2011 "990" tax documents.

He said they show that the nearly $6 million in outside grant funding "focuses on youth, education, marriage enrichment and local communities" and that in the list of the foundation's beneficiaries, "the most divisive, anti-LGBT groups are no longer listed." Among those groups were the Family Research Council, Eagle Forum and Exodus International.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/us/chick-fil-a-philanthropy/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 07:04PM

I'm not sure they are in the clear for getting back lost customers.

I was having a conversation with a 4 year old grandson. We were recalling some fun we had a year ago at a chick-fil-a playroom. We have since stopped eating at chick-fil-a. I was pleased to hear grandson reply, "It WAS fun, but it turned out they are not that nice to us really so we don't eat there anymore."

Kudos to his mom and dad!

And - I should give them some credit for being willing to budge.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 10:14PM

They are not so hateful as they used to be ?

They are still not getting my business.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:02AM

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:04AM

I couldn't disagree more. Their sandwiches are delicious to me. Best chicken sandwiches around.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:11AM

I too also love their chicken. And in San Diego they are just about the only place to get real sweettea.

I think it is hilarious and people who were in such a hullabaloo over Chic-fil-A being "a hate group" should be embarrassed that they jumped on the band wagon. You don't like a company? Don't patronize them. Cool with me, but that should have been the end of it.

Posted by: Popcorn ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:10AM

agreed!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:13PM

but most didnt say that CFA was a hate group...they(CFA) just supported a hate group...and they have...not just one hate group...they sponsored a few! ! People have a right to express themselves about issues pertinent to themselves...just like you just did...The protest was last year and so it seems they didnt donate to those "hate groups" in 2012 ...activism in action if you ask me...its not like CFA hadnt donated in years...2011 is not that long ago and that was the basis for the protests...
just protesting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 12:14PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:17AM

if they still treat their chickens like KFC does, I'm still "out"

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 09:45AM

I read a great post by an LGBT activist who loved the sandwiches. He proposed chicken offsets, like carbon offsets. Every time you eat a chik-fil-a, you donate an amount to pro gay causes. I think it's a great way if you truly want a chik-fil-a sandwich and do not want to sponsor hate. I think you can search through a popular engine for his site.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:02PM

CFA is no longer giving money to charities that actively promote hatred of homosexuality. That's a win isn't it? It doesn't undo any previous donations but it's an indication that minds are changing and progress is being made - or am I missing something? (wouldn't be the first time)

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:15PM

There money that they have donated has done a lot of damage. They are not apologizing or doing anything to undo the damage they have done, what's to celebrate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 01:17PM by MJ.

Date: January 29, 2013 01:21PM

Celebrating the fact that bigotry was openly called out in public forums and news outlets and found wanting.

Celebrating that pressure was applied and it worked.

I'm not suggesting CFA is completely absolved or is magically transformed into a knight it shining armor. The war is still raging, but this seems like a clear victory. Kicking and screaming all the way, but CFA has made changes.

Date: January 29, 2013 01:26PM

It would be like gay basher that has beaten a gay person for 15 minutes then stops. Then all the gays celebrating because the basher finally stopped and walked away without taking responsibility for their actions. Yea, the basher stopped bashing the poor guy, let's celebrate, mojitos all around, NOT.

Celebrate away if that is the sort of perverted thing you celebrate.

Relief that the bashing has stopped, but celebrate when so much damage has been done without the perpetrator being punished? Not a chance.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 01:44PM by MJ.

Date: January 29, 2013 01:51PM

Is it alright to celebrate that we no longer contribute money to a church that participated in the same thing?

You make it sound like all exmos were bashing gays for 15 minutes and now that we've stopped we should keep feeling bad about it.

I don't.

Chick-fil-a makes delicious sandwiches. They no longer contribute money to those organizations.

You might hold a grudge against them. That's your business. I agree with Kori that this is a victory.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:02PM

There was a time when I was still closeted that I said nasty hateful things about gays, the same way some of the closet case anti-gay preachers that have been caught boinking men have done.

YES, I STILL FEEL BAD ABOUT DOING THAT. I did it and I take responsibility for doing it. Part of that responsibility is feeling bad because I hurt people. It is legitimate guilt because I am guilty of harming others. My work on the gay an lesbian hotline was to help try to undo some of the damage I had done. "Undo" isn't the right word, I can not go back and fix those that I have hurt, but I can work to stop others from being hurt.

Because of the harm I have done, I have done a LOT of work to undo the damage that I have done. It is called taking responsibility for one's actions. I probably would not have become such an active advocate had I not been driven by the guilt of the harm caused by me.

You?

[added by edit] BTW, Yes. anyone that has contributed to anti-gay groups, I hold accountable for that action, even years later.

If they have done nothing to fix the damage they have done, I see them as people that do not take responsibility for their actions and do not forgive them for that action.

If they have done stuff to fix what they have done, then I see them as people that do take responsibility for their actions, forgive them and look at making them friends.

Personally, I don't see why people would have a problem with this viewpoint. Well, people that take responsibility for their actions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 02:09PM by MJ.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:11PM

No, I don't feel bad at all.

I understand and agree that my supporting bigotry was wrong and I take full responsibility for it. But I don't feel bad about it. I've just moved on, that's all.

If feeling bad is motivation for you to go out and do whatever you can to offset whatever harm you perceive you caused, good for you. I don't see that feeling bad is a necessary motivation but I don't want to discourage you so whatever works.

In my world view the past is past. The future doesn't exist yet. Right now, in this moment, I support equality and fair treatment.

I don't cause myself suffering because of past deeds. I left the atonement bullshit in the garbage with my scriptures.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:16PM

Those that your contributions hurt probably can NOT just move on, some may have committed suicide. Sucks for them that they can't move on but you can, eh?

It is so convenient that you can cause damage and move on without talking any REAL responsibility and cleaning up the mess you made.

Sorry, taking real responsibility means trying to FIX the damage you cause. If you poop in the middle of the living room, then claim to take full responsibility, but don't clean it up, what responsibility have you really taken? NONE.

Yes, I am motivated by feeling bad and guilt over the harm I caused others. Another word for it would be EMPATHY, guess you wouldn't be motivated by that either?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 02:20PM by MJ.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:20PM

Maybe not.

I think if in the past I was ok with there being poop in the living room, and then I decided I don't like poop in the living room, I would clean up the poop. It's pretty simple.

I no longer support bigotry. I actively support equality and tolerance.

What do you want from me? Money? Did I cause you personally harm? Can you prove it?

I'm not going to spend the rest of my life speculating on which homosexuals were negatively impacted by my particular membership, and which weren't.

We're all human beings and we're all responsible for ourselves. If there are homosexuals out there who want to blame me for their problems even though I'm a completely different person now, they can take a long walk.

I just don't feel bad about my past. In the present, I clean up poop in the living room :)

Date: January 29, 2013 02:29PM

That makes a difference. It would make more of a difference if you felt compelled to clean up the mess you made.

But as I have pointed out, just saying you take responsibility for your actions does not make it so.

I like people that take personal responsibility for their actions by cleaning up the mess they made. I don't like people that don't. Why do you have a problem with that? Why do you seem to think I should like you if you don't really take responsibility for your actions? I don't want anything from you, including friendship.

Yes, every dollar that has been contributed to the fight against my rights has hurt me by helping to keep me a second class citizen, thus every dollar that you have contributed to an organization that fights against my rights has hurt me. I would say the same for every dollar contributed to the KKK hurting blacks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 02:30PM by MJ.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:34PM

I never asked to be your friend, MJ.

I asked if it's alright in your eyes that we celebrate the fact that we no longer contribute money to an organization that tries to keep homosexuals down.

You replied not and that I should still feel bad. I replied that I don't feel bad, not even a little bit.

I've made plenty of mistakes in my life. I don't feel bad about any of them. Who has that kind of energy? :)

I use the little energy I have to do good now, not to dwell on the past and indulge in self-loathing.

Don't you think there's enough self-loathing going around? Must I hate myself too, MJ?

I don't. I love being me. The best part of being me is that I'm capable of moving on. That's why I'm on this site: to move on from mormonism.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:42PM

The fact is, if you contributed money to a group that caused harm to others, and the LDS does, and you do not feel some remorse for that, I don't respect you and your lack of empathy. Sorry if you don't like that, but I think I am not alone in this sort of thinking.

Your demand that we celebrate your finally stopping the harm you did is also making me think a bit along the lines of narcissism. Why should *I* celebrate because YOU stopped heating me? Why should *I* celebrate because you feel no remorse and no need to make amends for the damage you have done?

Do we celebrate a thief because they stopped stalling? No, we trough them in jail for the hurtful acts they already have done. Society does not celebrate the cessation of harm, why should I? Society and I hold those that harm ACCOUNTABLE.

Date: January 29, 2013 01:53PM

Are you really suggesting that if a gay person has been beaten for 15 minutes that it's better to let the beating continue than to have it stop? Really?

Progress isn't progress because it wasn't "enough" progress? With that kind of an outlook how can muster the effort to even get out of bed in the morning?

This isn't some insignificant development. This is a calculated change in policy for a major US corporation. We raised our voices and they were heard. CFA is now looking over it's shoulder. They are aware of the consequences of their actions and their words. How is it even remotely "perverse" to recognize this as a positive development?

Was it just the word "celebrate" that set you off?

Date: January 29, 2013 02:04PM

Relieved that it stopped but NOT A REASON TO CELEBRATE.

Seriously, your black and white thinking is appalling.

I, for one, can be glad and relieved that something stopped without viewing it as a reason to celebrate, you?

Date: January 29, 2013 02:29PM

Have you examined your own?

This seems to be boiling down to a "glass half empty" vs. "glass half full" argument. Because my glass is half full you seem to want to piss in it to fill it the rest of the way.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:33PM

So, I feel relief and am glad but I am a black and white thinker of I don't also celebrate? BS.

I am not a back and white thinker because I recognize shades of grey. In this case, It is relief and begin glad, but not celebrating, clearly not an all or nothing way of thinking.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:37PM

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:42PM

I love CFA's sandwiches and patronize them regularly.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:55PM

Driving by, I notice crowds pouring in for breakfast, dinner, and especially lunch and lines waiting for parking and to enter the drive-thru lane.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:57PM

If it's just the most controversial and politically charged, BFD.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 02:04PM

http://news.yahoo.com/chick-fil-ceo-gay-activist-meet-195312756--abc-news-politics.html;_ylt=A2KLOzHHHAhR5DYAJXrQtDMD

"For years, Chick-fil-A donated to socially conservative groups, drawing the ire of gay-rights activists. In July, Equality Matters examined tax forms and found that in 2010 the restaurant chain had donated over $1.9 million to "anti-gay causes." In September, the restaurant chain pledged to stop donating to anti-gay groups. Windmeyer says those donations stopped in 2011."

So, which one is it?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.