Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:22AM

Sure you can believe in karma. I think it probably works slightly better than prayer. I've always felt if you do good things for people, they will generally return the favor. If everybody is doing good things for people, then it will eventually come back around to you. Works better than being a jerk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:26AM

You get what you got coming. Quote from a former Stake Pres I admire. I am just waiting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 12:28AM by laurel.

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:30AM

Its up to you to believe in Karma. You do or you don't, no one should be able to convince you either way.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:34AM

You get to believe in whatever you want and define yourself, or better yet, don't, however you would like.

I am sure there are other atheists who believe in karma.

I don't believe in anything supernatural. No gods, luck, karma, chi, prayer. Nothing. I also don't call myself an atheist any more.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:38AM

Oh no! We all get To live our own Karma. We get what we got coming, but so do our frenemies.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:55AM

I don't believe in karma, but I do think that I do better psychologically when I do the right things. A normal person suffers depression and guilt when they do bad things and that inhibits you. Not only do you lose motivation, but others can sense that you are not well. That causes you to lose opportunities and social connection and makes for less success. There's even a tendency to subconsciously sabotage your own efforts when you're down on yourself.

Rotten people can be wildly successful and good people can be unlucky. Where's the karma? It's like god.. confirmation bias.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 12:57AM by rationalguy.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:42AM

Karma is the subconscious response to your yearning for justice. If you mentally judge yourself, you will subconsciously bring about actions that balance things out.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 05:56AM

Karma is our own subconscious, and it's the body of the iceberg. Furthermore, I think the contents of the subconscious is the product of the "unwatched" mind--the thousands of immediately-made and immediately-forgotten decisions that we make everyday.Every fleeting thought. "Rational" people might have a hard time accepting that so much of their mind is dissociated as the subconscious. but the very fact that it is ignored is what keeps it powerful...and programming the conscious experience. For example, it projects out the guilt for harmful or selfish thoughts so that "others" appear to do them--back to us.

By the way, wishing that karma will bite other people is a wish that brings its own karma...on the wisher.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:43AM

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:53AM

Hey, I am 99.9 percent atheist, but some ideas are fun just to throw around.

" I could get up and kick the $&&@ out of you, but I think I'll just sit back and watch Karma $#%& you over"

Or reincarnation. I intend to come back as small white poodle or a modern raptor....not one of those old decrepit reptile type raptors. I am not mentioning any names.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 06:05AM

I belive in cause and effect. I think it goes beyond what most people would call "karma" actually. But I'm not an an atheist at ALL, so if you are you probably won't even be slightly interested in my opinion. People that joke about reincarnation and karma wouldn't like me at all either, so beware!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.