Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:23PM

I just saw a commercial for the diet company Marie Osmond promotes (Nutri-system?-I really don't know since I was paying attention to something else.) In the commercial she is wearing a white shirt and it is quite clear that she is not wearing a garment top underneath. As a matter of fact, on a wide shot you can see that the torso area is skin color. Now I know that many will conjecture that she "gets away with it" because she's royalty but I'm starting to wonder if it may be something else.

Do you think perhaps this is a conscious effort on the church's part? I'm thinking that due to all of the outright expose of garments to the general public (not too many years ago most people had never heard of "Mormon underwear"-now I think it may be common knowledge) that the someone came up with the idea that it might be a good idea to let high profile people go visibly without this Mormon sartorial peculiarity for the sake of dispelling the idea that they actually DO wear them? I mean it's really a weird weird custom and sours people's view of Mormons. If they can call the practice into question in the eyes of the general public-"Gee, I saw Marie Osmond and there was no way she could be wearing weird underwear like I've been told so it must not be true".

I really think there is something to this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:33PM

....or she's gone NOM but TSCC keep it quiet because she has been used by them for propaganda in the past? She also might not want to tell people because of pride and not wanting to admit she was wrong

Posted by: Zig ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:50PM

Celebrities in Mormonism are always exempt from garments. Garments are for the rank and file member only. The Cult always looks the other way because it likes the PR. See this celebrity that is Mormon? See how normal we are? Usually celebrities hand over large sums of cash (see Romney) on an annual basis. Money and PR always trump rules.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 16, 2013 11:40PM

They're exempt from a lot of things.

The "rules" are for the suckers on the lower rungs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 11:40PM by archytas.

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 02:03PM

She hasn't appeared to wear garments for year.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 02:09PM

I remember my mother having a hissy back in the early 80s that Marie wasn't wearing garments after the birth of her first child (in her first marriage). So this may be a long-standing practice of Marie's. Good for her. Way to stick it to the man! (There is some sarcasm in those last two sentences.)

Posted by: Elfin ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 12:14AM

Two long time fans have seen Marie on several occasions drinking alcohol. She may go to church, but evidently she's not a big believer any more.

Posted by: Mrs. Hill ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 09:32AM

If that is the case then how is it she remarried her first husband in the temple a few years back? I know that Mormon "royalty" gets a break on some things but I don't think that public drinking would be one of them.

Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 09:42AM

Some people marry in the temple without it being a sealing (if that's the right word). My brother, a widower, married again in the temple but it was just a plain everyday marriage.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 02:16PM

It's called marriage in the temple for time only. One of the requirements to be able to do this is that neither the man or the woman has been involved in any divorce while a member of the church. That requirement seems to be arbitrary. My brother and his second wife had a time only ceremony and they were both divorced, and Marie was definately divorced.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 02:21PM

My brother and his wife had a wedding in the temple for time. They had both been divorced.

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 09:54AM

I'm such a douche.

In winter 1992/3 in Green Bay,WI Marie and the Oak Ridge Boys came to town. The local arena was packed. Somehow, by the grace of Joseph Smith, somebody in the ward called to ask us mishies if we wanted to go. Again, by the grace of Brigham Young, we got backstage passes. (Even now I don't know how it all happened, truly a blessing.) So we got to hang out in a tour trailer with Marie. I got my picture taken with her.

Then I asked her how she dealt with not wearing garments...

She said "not when I perform."

OMFG- I asked a female celebrity, as a mishie, about her panties.

I'm so embarrassed. My mom still has the pic if you don't believe me.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 10:28AM

The guitar Marie is holding is about as fake as her public persona.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 02:48PM

Sat on the second row of the Donny and Marie Christmas Show last November. Highlight was Muhammad Ali was sitting in the first row.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 02:02PM

Garments are not appropriate for many ocassions. I learned that early one. We don't wear them swimming for instance. We don't wear them when they are clearly in appropriate in any manner.

Ms Osmond has a right to wear what she thinks is appropriate for the activities she is engaged in. Many times, the garment would not be appropriate or draw undue attention to her underwear. Many LDS believers understand this principle.

I respect Ms. Osmond's right to know what is appropriate and what is not!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 02:36PM

TSCC has No Need to publicaly jetison their sayings/'requirements' about garments, they're part of the Temple/revenue stream model.

IF they ever commented about Marie, Steve Young, etc.. it w/could only be like: 'We teach people, we don't control them; individual cases shouldn't be a guide or example for others (ha ha).

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 02:36PM

Whats with judging people for doing what many of us do here. I don't wear garments and occasionally attend boring shot a hole in my head Mormon meetings. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 02:43PM

Point taken. I guess people are just venting over rules that people once gave them heck about.

Posted by: Mrs. Hill ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 03:25PM

http://blindgossip.com/?p=39795

Okay, look at this blind item. Most people seem to think it is about Lisa Marie Presley but it sounds more like Marie Osmond to me.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 03:28PM

yup you're right. She's "speshul". Mormon God loves her more than he loves you. Sorry! You should have been more valiant

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 08:05PM

I don't think it's about Marie not wearing garments while she entertains, I don't care. The church makes such an issue over their celebrity members and the world does not know the issue made about wearing garments night and day, when you are doing yard work etc. To the everyday mormon the double standard prevails and it gets tedious.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 04:17PM

Some things to note from that youtube clip:

First of all, at work here, I can't listen to the sound so I made some assumptions...

She's on their talk show with her brother Donny, talking about DWTS...understandable.

Another clip from a news/morning show showed her talking...and again her brother is there. I've seen many other shows where she was interviewed and Donny seemed to always be with her.

She's FIFTY years old and a seasoned performer/entertainer. She does NOT need her brother with her. If it's the preisthood thing where the man has to always be with her for some sort of approval/editorial of her comments, why isn't her husband with her?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 11:00AM

When you hear about the magic undies, and no one remembers Ann Romney dressing weird or anything, no one gets any mental pictures of how ugly and weird they are, unless they come across the actual pics of people in the garmies. They just think it's a special bra and panties or camisole or something.

PR always always always trumps rules in TSCC. Especially for Mormon royalty. But I do also think people like Marie Osmond and the Romneys and Gladys Knight and others have absolutely zero belief in the church. They are total cultural mormons because there is no reason not to be and many bad ramifications if they left.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 04:19PM

Gladys Knight is a convert, I don't think you can paint her with that brush, she had belief or she would not have joined.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 12:48PM

Gladys Knight might have been a convert, and from what I can tell, she has children and grandchildren who were raised in TSCC. It's possible that if she no longer believes, she's a cultural Mormon because of her family as she's really the reason they're TBM.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 10:41AM

Mitt & Ann "believe" in LDS, Inc. as much as it benefits them financially and professionally. That's all the cult really expects out of them, because of their money.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 02:38AM

Technically, any clothes Marie wears in her capacity as a performer & presenter are considered costumes. Costumes are basically exempt whether she's in a NutriSystem commercial or singing in concert.

I've worked with TBM actors before in the professional theatre, & they absolutely did not wear their garments under their costumes.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 03:30AM

Too bad more mormons don't stop and ask why is the church in the underwear business to begin with?

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 12:19PM

Follow the money. Someone is getting paid somewhere.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.