Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 01, 2013 10:55PM

When he contacted me sometime ago for a podcast event (one that never took place because of interruptions and delays, plus I didn't feel like I really knew where he was coming from), we initially were talking about how to facilitate the interview.

There were some technical issues that needed to be resolved if the podcast was going to happen. The only thing I recall about that was that Dehlin asked me to buy myself a set of headphones so that we could communicate.

I wasn't particularly moved by that request to want to continue the facilitation process.

He was polite and soft-spoken but it just seemed, well, a bit odd all the way around.

Now it appears looks like he's given into the not-so-bright side, so I'm content that the interview never materialized.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 02:53AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 12:25AM

The whole situation is so bizarre. I've been out for about three years now, RM, HPGL, all the normal callings. I don't see how anyone could go back once they have seen the light?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 12:32AM

i'm only guessing.

I think the combination of money and popularity caused him to sell his soul.

He saw what kind of courage and sacrifice it takes to be true to ones self. He didn't have what it takes.

It is probably more difficult when you're 'somebody' vs. a'nobody'.

The church has always made damn sure that I knew I was a nobody to them. It's made it easy to leave, and take my family with me. I only had things to gain, and not much of anything to lose. I'm quite happy about that. I don't feel bad taking other people out of the church. I don't feel one bit bad it they go out and have a drink after I talk to them. In fact, it would hurt my feelings if they didn't invite me to imbibe with them. That's the difference between JD and I.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 12:48AM

That's too bad Steve. I'm sure many of us here would have liked to hear a podcast with you on it. Perhaps you'll consider doing one with Mormon Expression then.

Posted by: Onmywayout . . . someday ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 01:54AM

I think John Larsen is pretty much retired these days.

Date: February 02, 2013 02:01AM

Haven't checked it out yet. This was the essence of the email:

"I am affiliated with the Mormon Expositor podcast, a podcast who's listeners are mostly liberal to ex-Mormon. Just so you know my personal background, I was raised Mormon but am now an atheist.

"I would like to interview you for a podcast episode. When I was a youth, you were 'THE' ex-Mormon, and I feel that for whatever reason, your voice is at times under-heard.

"Would you be interested in being interviewed? We could talk (or not talk about) a host of things. Your cartoonist career, how it is to be seen as a son of perdition, your involvement with online Mormonism and helping people transition out of Mormonism.

"If you are leery about my interview style or podcast content, you are more than welcome to check out some of my previous podcast."

Like I said, still have yet to do some delving into the group.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 02:05AM by steve benson.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 03:33AM

Mo Expositor are a good crowd. They are all MExpression participants and are honest, even Brandt who is still a member although he sometimes sounds like he's ready to leave.

Greg Rockwell is a good bloke who tells it like it is.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 10:04AM

What I am curious to hear about is how you manage to be so public about your position on Mormonism, yet still be allowed to spin disks for a Mormon youth dance. I'd like to hear a good interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 10:05AM by thingsithink.

Date: February 02, 2013 05:13PM

. . . ex-Mormon, atheist, liberal family members are people, too. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.