Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 11, 2011 11:58PM

So...I went to visit my brother today and he presented me with a bottle of: Pele Ale. It was hilarious! He took a big bottle of beer and emptied it (into his mouth, of course) and then pasted a printout he'd made onto it. The printout was of this:

http://home.teleport.com/~packham/pale-ale.htm

(the second label)

He was SO proud of himself. He's a nut.

Does this merit a new thread? Probably not. But someone should start a brewery. In Utah. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: miss anybody ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:29AM

After reading the "Three Days Among The Mormons" I came to the conclusion that Joseph Smith, Jnr, his mother, father and his brother were all grifters. I wouldn't be surprised if "Pay Lay Ale" was code for Pay (for) the Ale, "Mormon" meant More Money, etc., etc. They were quite good at finding new ways to fleece their "flock" out of more money.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:55AM

I saw this a long time ago (I'm paraphrasing):

"Pay" was for all the money Joseph Smith was making.

"Lay" was for all the sex he was getting.

"Ale" was for all the alcohol he was consuming.

(I wish I had learned this little memory device while I was an active temple attender--it would have made the endowment just a little bit easier to commit to memory and a LOT more interesting ; )

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:40AM

I make my own beer. I wonder if I could plagerise the labels for my own stuff.

Date: January 12, 2011 10:35AM

Why not if you're not selling it? How does that go - imitation = flattery.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 11:17AM

Not to change the subject away from beer. Because that is infinitely more important than the silliness of Joe Smith.

In the temple they claim the words Pe Le El are "adamic". But they are definitely Hebrew, loosely translated to "mouth to god". The mistake Joe made here is claiming it was adamic, when he was just co-opting hebrew as a way to con people into believing he was an inspired linguist.

Now, as for beer, carry on.

Date: January 12, 2011 12:48PM

Well, ole Joe probably claimed he was indeed an inspired linguist, tho of the kind in lingual...if you get my meaning... :)

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:54PM

... always thought of himself as a "cunning linguist!" ; )

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:45PM

Good One!

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 06:08PM

JS drove whiskey sellers out of Nauvoo but donated land in the downtown area to a brew master to set up in business. Additionally JS originally wanted Nauvoo house to be a hotel with a bar for him to run. Emma drove him and Porter to the barn to purvey the alcohol. Great pair of activities. He could have called it Booze and Broads once he got spiritual wifery started. Thus Pay Lay Ale would delight Joseph as much as it does us.

Date: January 12, 2011 08:35PM

I remember reading about Parley Pratt's journeys into S. Utah to settle new towns. I was a bit surprised about how much wine they took with them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.